Snake sightings, encounters and reminders.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were coming out of Kingfisher Camp about 5 years ago and there was a largish snake laying across the track, so I slowed to a crawl speed in case it was alive ( no I didn't want to run over it), it moved a little bit so I started to drive around it, as we got beside it I stopped to have a closer look at it, Bronny says "don't get out will you ? " I've turned to her and said something like " I'm not flucking stupid" and turned back to look at the joe blake. I nearly sh1t myself, I kid you not, he was up looking me in the eye through the car window with his head all flared out and ready to go. What sort of snake was he ? Dunno know, I just called him "sir"

Sounds like what a big Tiger Snake would do.
They get all curious and then when say see
something to have a go at,
Get all defensive and flare their head and neck right out hissing and
barking as bad as a tyre going flat.
If you are close to one and see their defensive posture in full show,
Actually quite a site.
It is almost too late.
Standing completely still does help but what the friggen things will do
at the best of times is calm down and then sit and wait for your actions.

As soon as you move, It is all back on again only worse.
At that point, You are cornered.

This bloke is just a little bit pissed off.
Not standing looking at you going off like crazy.
1506737806_tiger_snake_pissed_off.jpg

Tathradj said:
Sounds like what a big Tiger Snake would do.
They get all curious and then when say see
something to have a go at,
Get all defensive and flare their head and neck right out hissing and
barking as bad as a tyre going flat.
If you are close to one and see their defensive posture in full show,
Actually quite a site.
It is almost too late.
Standing completely still does help but what the friggen things will do
at the best of times is calm down and then sit and wait for your actions.

As soon as you move, It is all back on again only worse.
At that point, You are cornered.

This bloke is just a little bit pissed off.
Not standing looking at you going off like crazy.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...es/2436/1506737806_tiger_snake_pissed_off.jpg

I think you'll find that pic shows a Death Adder, not a Tiger snake (note the skinny tail with a short fat body):
http://tinyurl.com/ya3zd7o4

It is definitely a Tiger. :)
It is puffed up and has it's neck scales flattened.
The snake is saying, " Dude, I know your there and I don't
like it. Come any closer and all hell is going to let
loose. " ]:D
That is what they look like around here with the
orangy coloured ones a bit further south.
Aussie is right, They do vary in colour and size
depending on their habitat.

See plenty of tigers around here and they vary in color from almost totally black through to having almost fluorescent yellow stripes. I think it also depends on there mood a bit as the last one I found in my strawberry patch was pretty dark until I tried to move him on then he started to exhibit the classic tiger snake pattern.(safely released into the bush).they all have a right to be here just not around the house. :Y:

My best mate once told me about all the yellow bellied black snakes he used to see near his favourite swimming hole, I told him that there was no such thing and that they were actually big alpine tiger snakes. I think that the cooler the climate the less stripes they have to absorb more heat from the sun. Tasmania has very black ones as well, Phillip Island has a variety of really black ones as well with particularly nasty venom, quite a bit worse than ones from the mainland interestingly enough.

Im with Aussiefarmer i reckon there aggressive .As i to do a bit of fishing i see quite a number of Tiger Snake each year Its the one you dont see which could be the problem they love hanging out around water,

I found a huge one when I was cutting timber, I was bucking a huge tree I had cut down that was about 6 to 8 feet across, I shone a torch inside it and I saw something but could not make out what it was and when I cut the tree in half and rolled one piece out of the way I saw the snake, it looked in perfect condition but it must of got angry at the noise of the saw and struck at the bar because the complete top of it's head from the Jaw line up was missing, apart from that there was not a mark on it, It must of come from the other end of the tree because it was not in the part I was working on,

J.

XIV said:
aussiefarmer said:
Nobody killed it it died of fright , tigers are the most agressive Australian snake i know of most snakes move on when disturbed but tigers will come straight to you , i have watched them when fishing on opposite bank then they have noticed me and and swam across by that time i was high tailing it back to the vehicle , yukky bloody animal grrrrrr i can stand all other breeds unless their mating then ther all agressive buggers.
You have never came across a taipan or a king brown,
The coastal taipan, is probably the most dangerous and aggressive snakes of all in Australia, 3rd in venom but packs a punch and inject 400mml compared to most snakes that would be less than 80mml
The tiger would be the most dangerous to the southern states.
It is more aggressive around its breeding season, ( October November )
The snake that worries me out on the bush is the eastern brown.

Yep Coastal Taipans also have fangs approx 13 mm compared to most snakes fang length of 4-5 mm. Gumboots and even canvas gaiters may not be thick enough to stop penetration by Taipans.

Plenty of Taipans at our local Fossicking area at Deep Creek in Gympie...it add another dimension to keeping one eye on gold in the pan and ther other eye open for slithering guests :eek: .

The coastal Taipan is the only snake I've come across the exhibited no fear of me. I encountered a large specimen in Lakefield National Park on a freshly mown waking trail. I saw it from a distance and figured it'd retreat as I neared. It didn't to my surprise and held it's ground in an aggressive stance. I waited 10 minutes in the hope it'd calm down and leave but to no avail.

last big tree I cut had what look like water on my chainsaw blade , rolled out one of the wheels to take a gander, and there was the answer, HONEY, then the heard the buzzzzz, the farmer said it was the funniest thing he ever saw, me running flat out thru the scrub , arms flapping like a big pelican , manage to outrun them , a neighbour scored the honey it was sweet as, snake skins are easy to tan great hat bands

I watched a snake handling show the other day and learnt and whitnessed a lot of interesting things .
Firstly snakes are deaf and also only have very basic vision to see about a metre or 2 , and strike on movement and shades. I watched as he stood next to 4 different snakes , namely an Eastern Brown ,a Tiger , Red belly black and the extra lethal Fierce Snake . Out of the 4 the Brown by far showed the most aggression and was raising its head and striking out at anything moving near it . The Fierce and Tiger held their ground and moved on as soon as it felt safe while the Red Belly just totally avoided him and kept moving away.
He did make a good point in stating a human is a threat to them and to big for food , so yes they would defend themselves but cant see or believe why they would chase us down once we are away from them ... kinda like having a shark scare only to go chase it once it left ?
Also mentioned Tigers main foodsource is the frog and world wide frog numbers are declining as are the number of Tiger Snakes. One other interesting point was that the non lethal Red Belly was killed in the millions and still are killed on sight today , BUT this rather harmless snake enjoys a good meal of Eastern Brown snake and its estimated to kill about 50 in its lifetime , so for every one killed there are 50 more deadly Browns roaming the bush and backyards that should not be there .
:cool:

Well bills I,m with you I got a 1metre el Tigray in the wifes garden shed last week.
As for letting it go if it,s hanging round the back door it too big a threat to just leave there
So if thats not justifiable homicide let the do Goodes take it to their place
Jim

Garyo if tigers are on the decline please come and tell all of the one,s around my way that they should not be here
Jim

When we were camped at Bunya Mts. park about 7yrs ago , I decided to go for a walk around checking some old sheds and huts. I climbed 3 steps up to the verandah of 1 shed and immediately felt uncomfortable. There it was a 7-10ft carpet snake i think curled above me around the woodwork of the verandah roof. I made my way out slowly and grabbed Carolyn, my wife and told her there was an interesting in the shed she must look at. When she walked up the steps she didn't know what i was talking about.
I pointed to the snake and she screamed manically . I did feel sorry for scaring her but it was an experience for both of us.
Jaros, :eek:

Before you all shoot me down for this it was only payback for what he had done to me a few days earlier so he had it coming he took my car keys and drove my car next door and parked it in their shed and came running in saying someone had stolen my car and it was going out the drive way he said he would ring the police for me (that should have been the give away) i rand down that drive way (150m) in record time and no car in sight i was gutted
so this is payback
My truck driver was petrified of snakes so what you think
we all are but he was petrified beyond belief so his wife told me
so i had a 3ft rubber red belly that was donated at work mmmmm i wonder how scared he is :) :) :)
he returned from his day run for pickups in Kangaroo Valley the high country here
he went to have lunch before unloading the truck ]:D ]:D
]:D ]:D yes i put the snake curled up on the front drivers seat attached to the door handle by fishing line and shut the door
he finished his lunch and went to reverse the truck in to unload
he opened the door and thats when the fun started the snake jumped out at him
his eyes were the size of dinner plates his mouth was open but no sound was coming out he was frozen one leg in the cab the other on the step
hand on the lift handle body arched backwards
and this big red belly staring him straight in the eye
well with one foot he pushed himself off that truck and done a parra roll the army guys would have been proud of
he let out a blood curdling scream so loud i have never heard it that loud before
into the roll out of the roll straight onto his feet
legs started running to the left but the body would no follow so he fell down
jumps up try to start running again but his legs are frozen so only the body moves and he falls again in all this time he covered about 6ft mainly on the ground crawling still had not taken a breath and this noise like a police siren coming out
nose running and tears running down his cheeks
his legs stopped running and he sat on the ground as he saw that we were in fits of laughter and he realized what was happening
i am sure at this time he has soiled and wet himself but to my surprise he hadn't :lol: :lol: :lol:
and yes he saw the funny side of it and we still laugh about what we use to do to each other

Latest posts