Sluice or highbanker mats / matting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mate the backing holds the fine gold that otherwise slips through your moss..... if your not backing it with rubber your losing gold my friend

shannon said:
G0lddigg@ said:
Hey shannon why did you cut the backing off?

i cut it off so it cleans out quicker and easier. just a bit fussy with some stuff haha ;)

Got a pic of this mate?
I'm with the others- you should definitely have the backing on your mat. The fines would be flushed out if you don't have backing.

Sure mate when i get home I'll update this post with a couple of pics. You'll have to wait till Sunday if you want to see a working pic. I might even chuck in a few extras under diy, been playing in the dirt too much to worry about it. I've got some improvements i added since testing. Anything in particular just post or pm. Been dragged away. If i get out in the morn I'll post up. Watch this space.

Reeks said:
shannon said:
G0lddigg@ said:
Hey shannon why did you cut the backing off?

i cut it off so it cleans out quicker and easier. just a bit fussy with some stuff haha ;)

Got a pic of this mate?
I'm with the others- you should definitely have the backing on your mat. The fines would be flushed out if you don't have backing.

agreed but he could fix it by putting Vee matting underneath the moss

its what i do here

the vee matting traps fine gold while sediments get washed out and flushed out the end of the sluice by going underneath the moss

that type of construction must have some kind of orifice at the end of the sluice to allow the sediment to exit though . cant have a blind end to it.

I run vmat then very fine expanded mesh 2mm then miners moss then 20mm expanded. 90 % of tye fine gold holds in the firat 30cm of vmat.

1397123955_img_20140410_194927.jpg

I'm having an issue uploading. This pic is with low flow, straight through a stream of water. Trying to get up without flow and fines it will catch.

1397124368_img_20140410_195025.jpg

Pic showing skid plate, then mat, then gh ur mat tapes together x 2, with v rubber underlay from skid plate to end underneath.

1397124656_img_20140410_195113.jpg

This is how small the fines and specks it will pick up. The larger stuff is deliberately left out of this pic so it shows a really solid view of just how tiny it will go down to to catch. The big pieces will take care of themselves. Pre classified to half inch quartz crush embedded in clay and soil in dirty water. But good for ironstone, and mixed material. Even in high flow these mats sit jammed in on tip of the v mat and I just use the natural adhesion between the rubber and aly and it will sit in place and fill up all day. If you have any questions let me know.

I haven't had any issues GD, I exchange mats after a couple of hours, I can't tell you at what point in volume or run time it reaches it's limit but running the ur below is the fail safe here. I've tested this many times with no losses so I just pump it in now.

G0lddigg@ said:
mate the backing holds the fine gold that otherwise slips through your moss..... if your not backing it with rubber your losing gold my friend

definitely not losing gold. done too much testing making sure i wasn't. the end of my high banker has a 10mm high wall (same size as matting) so nothing can come out the end. all my gold is found in the first foot of the sluice, it doesnt travel any further.

Vic
have a look at the wallbanker, mat from bunnings & the system works.
That mat will work too but you may have heaps to put through the pan.
Barry

Couple of people on an earlier thread use them and say they get good results. I've tried them and found with a 1cm classification of material there isn't enough space within the circular cut out to get efficient displacement. But in saying that, Gold is very heavy and finds it difficult to get past most obstructions, circular, square or straight.

Cheers Wal.

Latest posts