Sluice or highbanker mats / matting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We use a backed mat from Bunnings and did buy an Aldi mat as a spare yesterday, same thing. Ours works great cleans out well!

1392502684_img_20140216_091313.jpg
1392502720_img_20140216_091404.jpg
1392502746_img_20140216_091454.jpg

Reject style mats. Clean and catch fine for those on a budget. I'll check out the aldi ones and do a quick comparison. Cheers.

Just checked out the Aldi mats. They're a "Work Zone" brand and would be quite OK at catching gold. They are no where near as good as the Bayliss 60 x 90 ULTIMAT from Bunnings, as the backing is only half the thickness and the weave of the rubber much tighter. The depth of the ULTIMAT is 10mm and the "Work Zone only about 6mm. (the more depth the more the gold sinks into it)

Though it could be used successfully in bankers, I wouldn't put it into the ones I produce, as being a critical component of the trapping system I'd rather pay the extra 10 bucks and not compromise on quality. Guess at the end of the day you get what you pay for....the "Reject " ones above look the goods, need to have a good look at those as well. :eek:

Wal.

Thanks Wal.

Yeah I went to the Reject shop couldn't find them.

But might just go to bunnings. Easier that way.

Reject ones are excellent i can vouch for that. They are approx 10mm thick with a reasonably tight weave and a 3-4mm backing. At $6 a matt or $8 for a slightly larger matt they are top value. I have run flour to fine to chunky gold through the reject matts and panned my tailings to find one flour spec!! Each to there own but the only thing i do not like about the reject shops matts is that the backing isn't as tough as some others. They clean out rather well and are available in red, black, grey, pink and brown.

I bought Reject Shop mat this morning. They had only three left. Two red ones and gray one. Got gray one just in case I will run into scrub bull one day. Brand MONACO HOUSEHOLD PVC MAT 60x40 cm $4.
It looks OK to catch fine gold. We will see.

I had the black matting from the reject shop but tore the backing :( now have the grey matting which isn't too bad (black sold out) I've got them to put an order in for more if anyone can't find any at there local reject shop i will happily post to anyone who wants some

wal,i looked at those aldi mats and wondered how the heck do you get the fine stuff out of those coils of spaghetti,as a armchair prospector I don't have a lot of experience but one day I would like to try making a sluice,bulldog qld
WalnLiz said:
Just checked out the Aldi mats. They're a "Work Zone" brand and would be quite OK at catching gold. They are no where near as good as the Bayliss 60 x 90 ULTIMAT from Bunnings, as the backing is only half the thickness and the weave of the rubber much tighter. The depth of the ULTIMAT is 10mm and the "Work Zone only about 6mm. (the more depth the more the gold sinks into it)

Though it could be used successfully in bankers, I wouldn't put it into the ones I produce, as being a critical component of the trapping system I'd rather pay the extra 10 bucks and not compromise on quality. Guess at the end of the day you get what you pay for....the "Reject " ones above look the goods, need to have a good look at those as well. :eek:

Wal.

went to the local auto pro in Muswellbrook yesterday and they have a got a huge one out the front of the shop at least 1.5 metres by 1.2 metres. think they might have to nail the sucker down before someone adopts it

G'day bulldog. You just reverse them in 20L pale of water and unroll them with a slight shaking motion. The woven "spagetti" opens on reversing and the gold comes out very freely. Mats with fibers like carpets have a greater problem releasing the gold as fine gold gets hung up in the fibers.

Wal.

bisho said:
went to the local auto pro in Muswellbrook yesterday and they have a got a huge one out the front of the shop at least 1.5 metres by 1.2 metres. think they might have to nail the sucker down before someone adopts it

Sounds like you're thinking of making a huge banker there mate.....might need to find a cheap 2nd hand fire fighting truck and get the water pump off it. :D :D

Wal.

i use the reject shop mats in my high banker and they are great. i spent an hour or two with a stanley knife blade and just cut the backing off. was definitely worth it in my opinion :)

Ok just a quick update, even if its already been covered. Took the little banker out and set up a few different configurations, moss, mats, expanded, gold hog ur, v rib. I'd chuck the marine carpet in the bin, but each to there own. 3700 gph in 20 x150"box running ironstone clay mix on super fine and flour gold with occasional coarser and pickers (pre classified to 1/2 inch). Mats@10mm with ur at the base by two mats (40 cm). Expanded to slick plate showed no improvement in collection than mats, but greater amounts of heavy cons. I ran 20 passes and mats to ur showed no losses and excellent cleanup. Hope this helps I'll be running these mats in that low banker from here on out after these tests.. Mats were reject style as pictured, moss with v rib underneath could be substituted.

Latest posts