Slaty/Cotty Creek Creswick

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Gday all,
I am wondering if anybody knows what the water situation is like there at slaty creek?
Really keen to take my new highbanker and test it out :)

Any info would be appreciated!!

Hi, there are some puddles about and evidence of high bankers around.
Still only standing water, some in the middle reaches of Cotty's whet it runs parallel to Wolfes/Drakes Rd (depends if you are using the right name or the google map)
I'd say you are in for a little digging to get a decent puddle depending on where you choose to work
You'll be at least 3-400m from where Drakes crosses, haven't been too much further upstream from there so who's to say it isn't better further up
Hope this helps, shame I'm in Melbourne this weekend or I'd head out and say g'day. Been panning around Slaty & Cotty's for a few mixed results in previous weeks

Hey Mollongghip,

Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated :D

I guess I will have to make tracks in the next week or two and sus it out for myself :p

I will drop a post before I leave and let you know how I go when I return,

All welcome to pop by and say hi if you are in the area!!
Always keen for a chat :D

There were a few decent puddles for panning & a small stretch of shallow water but levels were dropping fast, probably still enough for panning atleast though. That was upstream of camp 3, its dryer further up.

Just checked Ballarat weather and it should consistently drop some rain for the next 5 days........ or more!! :eek:
I see the light :D

They wont flow untill septemberish. You need the dams further up to fill first. Just take your cons to the start of slatey, creswick end, and use the dam in old hyd' sluicing area to bank out of. Theres another couple on wolfes road.

You'l want a 4wd to get right up to cottys or it'll be a few hundred metre walk, so carry light. A 5hp pump will suck ass.

Head up into the pines to some the benched areas, plenty of 4wd depressions filled with water u can recirculate out of.

I live 5 mins from cottys, in a month or so i'll be out there quite often, either after work or weekends, hit me up around then an i'll come for a dig mate.

cheers.

Gday Ballarat_Gold :)

Thanks for the heads up!
I don't have a 4wd though 8.(

I really appreciate the mass of info you provided, very useful.
I might pop up Sunday and have a sus around and check out the dam you mentioned.

I don't live quite so close :(
I live in Frankston but I am keen as mustard and don't mind the drive. Always happy to meet up and have a dig and chat with like-minded people, just post on here when you are heading out :)

Heres a pic of where it is.

1465340147_creswick.jpg

Come in on slatey creek road, from the creswick end. The whole area is covered in wash. Even if you just panned the gutters each side of the drive into the dam, you will find colour.

Gluck with the hunt.

Gday Ballarat_Gold :)

You are a champion!!!

Thankyou for the pic and info regarding the dam.
I had heard there was a dam near by but I wasn't sure exactly where it was :eek:
But now... :D

I am heading up Sunday to sus out the situation and to give my new highbanker a run for its maiden voyage ;)

If anybody is in the area, feel free to pop over and say hi :D
I'm always keen to have a chat and meet like minded people :lol:

I will give an update once I return and maybe even upload a pic or two from my travels :p

Just an update on my trips so far this year to slaty creek, all up approx, 7hrs highbanking.
1472105180_20160825_153916.jpg

1472105208_20160825_152254.jpg

Also....

Would you try and get the gold off the rocks or just leave it there??

I don't mind either way but I am interested to know you opinions :D

Gday numpty,
Thats exactly what I was thinking too ;)

it looks like it will chip off pretty easily :)

Hi all, smile
I'm posting here as I have come across some gems or garnets.
I'm not sure exactly as I generally am looking for gold big_smile
I have some very small red, pink and clear gems/garnets and a few bigger bits that are not pure clear but a hazey white.

Also I have 1 pure clear gem/garnet/diamond?? wink lol
I don't know anything about gems but, I was wondering if anybody knows what it is? hmm
It weighs 0.34g

1472459279_slaty_creek_2016.jpg
1472459298_crystal3.jpg
1472459316_20160829_163642.jpg
1472459336_20160829_163330.jpg

Dunno mate. I usually find lots of gems around Daylesford. Yesterday I picked up some clear stones out of Sailors Creek at a new spot. They were only small but very bright and deeper in the pan than the rest of the gems. I'm guessing they have a higher SG than zircons but they are too small for me to test on my scales. I'll do a scratch test one day...

Most of the quartz crystals I have found are much higher in the pan concentrates and are more hazy and rounded or clear and with well defined facets.

I don't know much about gems but I put them aside for investigation at another time. Like you I am chasing the gold first and foremost. Besides, the gems around our haunts are too small to be of much value. I still like collecting them though :)

Scratch tests are pretty much next to useless unless you have large enough stones to really hold onto and get a good grip. SG tests are much better.

Looks like quartz to me.

Latest posts