SinHof and the CTX3030.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Evening Folks,
Decided to go deep beach hunting for the day today, well a good part of it anyway; saddled up the 3030 with the big 17x13 coil with an open discrimination pattern and other settings set for max depth, then set about gridding a section of beach that showed promise earlier in the week.
The tally at the end of the hunt was 32 pre-decimal coins,11 decimals and too many BBs, the 5 florins were the high point of the day's coin finds, the silvers will need a good clean to see what condition they are in and then check the dates.
These coins have obviously been in the sand for a long time given the amount of sand bonded to them; some of the coppers will probably be too far gone to even date them, sand and salt has taken its toll unfortunately, at times I was wondering if these deep coins are worth chasing given their degraded condition; at the end of the day it was a very interesting exercise and I learnt a bit more on how the 3030 performs with the different settings.
Apart from the coin side of the finds, a couple of badges turned up, one ear ring that I somehow managed to throw out with the ring pulls and other collection of junk targets and a nice chunky 925 ring with a vibrant red stone, yet to be identified.
Cheers SinHof.
1473502712_20160910_170550.jpg
1473502745_20160910_165457.jpg
1473502778_20160910_182238.jpg

Thanks guys, I've got a fair bit of cleaning ahead of me to realise the merit in the pre-decimal finds, will keep me busy for sure and yes it was a very interesting day's detecting.
Cheers,Sinhof.
PS: Will post up some images of the coins when they are a bit better to look at.

Thats a fantastic result mate
You certainly have a good playground ;)
I would definitely return and work it hard before someone else cottons on or conditions change

Thanks for the comments guys;Sandta, I took my time and gridded with a reasonable overlap on most runs so I'm pretty sure most of the targets were picked up, having said that though I've probably missed a few, nobody gets all of the targets in an area. Due to the wind and surf noise some of the real deep targets were a bit hard to hear even with the booster volume turned up so it may be worth another look a bit later, it will depend on how the silvers clean up,one of the florins is pretty well worn back to a flat disc.
Cheers, SinHof.

Those silvers might benefit from using the citric acid and silver foil trick to clean them, soak in citric for 10 mins that wrap them individually in foil and hold them tight between your fingers, they give a crackling sound and smell of rotten egg gas if the reaction is working, then use soda bi carb rub to neutralise the acid. Do it outside or you'll stink your house up with egg gas, I made the mistake of doing it inside once.

Hi Heatho,
Thanks for the clean up info, I have given a few of them a run in the CAB/ bi carb with reasonable results, will try the foil method and give them another go, some of the coins er pretty well stuffed I think, Pity, put in a fair amount of time to get them.
Three of the florins came up rather well as did the shilling and 6p's along with one 3p, oldest so far cleaned,1927 3p. Not sure how to tackle the pennies and half pennies, they are extremely toasted.
Cheers, SinHof.
1473556336_20160911_105224.jpg

They cleaned up very well Sinhof, I actually didn't think they would go so well to be honest. With the foil trick try not to use it on 50% silvers, it may give them a pink hue due to the copper content, it's great for the sterling coins though. Even so a pink hue can be better than black crusty coins.

Sure looked like a fun day out testing the CTX with that haul, plenty of deep targets to keep one busy. :eek: At least the good thing about finding a decent amount of silvers is that they are usually salvageable, unlike the copper coins which usually end up extremely pitted, or simply fall apart. If you want to clean up bulk lots of corroded coins from the beach, a rock tumbler is probably the best and least labour intensive way to go, especially if you intend to bank corroded spendables.

I currently use a Lorntone twin barrel tumbler, which is useful for tumbling two different metal types at the same time. ;)

1473571235_img_20160911_145726.jpg

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the comments and info; Put in a couple of hours back at the beach patch, had my first serious cave-in while digging a mega hole, could not be bothered digging it out again, so left it, bugger.
Dug up more degraded pennies and half pennies, 4 3Ps and a shilling and two ear rings, they looked a million dollars at first glance but on closer inspection, "Junk"., also a few decimals.
Cheers, SinHof.
1473592531_20160911_194239.jpg

1473592531_20160911_194715.jpg

PS: Excuse the lousy images of the ear rings, need to put the macro lens on one of the cameras for this sort of close-up imagery rather than the phone.

Latest posts