Driving around with a Hatchback in WA

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Mercedes MB100D is front wheel drive with an independant chassis. It runs rings around the Mrs M's rear wheel drive Mercedes Vito in the bush. We took the previous 2.2L one over the dunes out to Popels Corner without a problem. This one is better dur to the extra power of the 2.8L diesel.

Hi to all, it's been 2008 since I last went to WA, I went with a van and that was adequate, I was able to go to most places. Now I only have a small hatchback with about 7" clearance at it's lowest, what are your thoughts on driving around the WA goldfields, how much clearance would I need for most places?

I remember when I was there, thinking that I could have gone to about 70% of the places (old timers' diggings) even with a smaller car, but not everywhere. I saw two or three prospectors using small cars at times. It was a long time ago, not sure if I should try.
you'll be ok providing you stay within walking distance from a road with regular traffic, even a gravel road. Or a pastoralist homestead. Most pastoralists are welcoming providing you let them know you're there beforehand and ask them where not to go.
Don't forget a PLB just in case.

I have a perfectly good Mercedes MB100D 2.8L diesel van that I should sell. I bought it for a quick trip around the big block last year. I fitted a water tank, fridge, storage racks and ramps for the Honda 250 quad and travelled about 20,000km by the time I got home. It's an excellent 2WD offroad with good ground clearance, good fuel economy and oodles of space. The reason I've upgraded to the Hyundai Iload is because I already owned it as a Toll parcel delivery vehicle and it's a lot nicer on the highway. The Merc is noisy at highway speeds and the Hyundai is really quiet. I took the fridge, ramps and luggage racks out of the Merc ready to sell it but haven't got that far. The fridge is now in the Hyundai but the Solar panel and water tank are still there.

PM me if you're interested. Phil

I won't be getting diesel, cheers for the offer though.

Hi to all, it's been 2008 since I last went to WA, I went with a van and that was adequate, I was able to go to most places. Now I only have a small hatchback with about 7" clearance at it's lowest, what are your thoughts on driving around the WA goldfields, how much clearance would I need for most places?

I remember when I was there, thinking that I could have gone to about 70% of the places (old timers' diggings) even with a smaller car, but not everywhere. I saw two or three prospectors using small cars at times. It was a long time ago, not sure if I should try.
Having a go is always good.....perhaps consider spending some $$ on good communications gear/PLB before you head out.

Latest posts