Show us your Isolation Projects

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mackka said:
Gees Baz after that lot I had to have a cup of tea, a BEX powder and a lay down, :lol: :lol: love ya work.
Mackka

Can you still get BEX powders? I don't think I've seen one in the last 50 years :lol:

Wishfull said:
Harbourmaster said:
Nice Wishful, I had some of them but have been wondering lately where they have gone as I haven't seen them for a few years now. They used several of those Irons at a time one being used, swap for next one on wood stove and so on my old Gran showed me once using 3 at a time and they are the ones now missing. blame my sons I suppose they did play with them when young. Just had another look at yours recon they put hot coals in that type, other grandparents had some like that. Think they had to be careful of burning holes in the Ironing.
Gday mate. Do you know if those irons had a leather wrapping on the handle that was stitched ? The handle stuff was so brittle it just fell to bits. Not really sure what it was.

Ours only had a flat steel handle but it was most likely as old as the hills then. We got an electric one sometime after the power came on in 1960.

Every once in a while I come across one those old boot polish bottles with and aluminium lid showing the inscription SHAKE THE BOTTLE. It reminds me of the bottle Mum used for sprinkling the water onto the cloth before ironing and Dad use the same lid on the salt shaker. He punched multiple small holes from the inside out with a nail.

Wishfull said:

Don't pay the rediculous price they ask for Stove paint :mad: just go Autopro and grab a can of extractor/exhaust paint :Y: should be under $10.00 bucks :D Last time I looked at the price for stove paint they wanted $50.00 bucks a can :8 nothing more than highway robbery at its best :N:

I've been steadily filling the fish pond with water. I fill the 1000L IBC and let it stand for a few days so that the chlorine dissipates before getting to the fish.

1589938697_cleaning_the_pond.jpg

It's getting a bit too cold to get into when clearing the leafs out so I erected a 10m truss from the shed across to the house.

1589938973_truss.jpg

Then trimmed the lower branches before putting up a 6x5m shade sail.

1589939077_pond_cover.jpg

Hopefully it'll keep some of the rubbish out over the coming months while we're otherwise distracted. The Pilbara is calling..... :)

After moving from Cairns to just outside of Adelaide I decided to buy a big fire place. It was a little too heavy as I had to reinforce the floor joists and install a non combustible layer of atleast 50mm. I put a 15mm thick compressed concrete sheet then a 60mm thick granite slab on top then the fire. I underestimated the thickness and legal clearance of the required flu so will have to move the fireplace 7cm to the right to avoid roof trusses. The flu installer comes in on Monday
1589952347_screenshot_20200520_145409.jpg
1589952533_screenshot_20200520_145843.jpg

Dihusky said:
That's a monster Goldfreak :eek: Hope you're going to build a stone enclosure around it that will act as thermal mass, once it all heats up it'll keep the house toasty for days :)
Yep she is a monster :inlove: The fire Place weighs 350kg and the stone slab 440 kg. I had to get some mates to help move it and had to use a forklift on the lawn with a tractor behind pushing it to get it in the house. Then pallet jacked it all around on boards to its final spot. House is double brick all internal walls single brick. The other thing that's cool is I can put 88cm logs into it :fire: probably won't enclose it to let the natural air flow do the work of a fan. I put a heavy insulation layer under the floating floor too so hoping all the heat will end up in the houses bricks. I have yet to upgrade insulation in the roof. I paid to have the double pvcu windows installed.

Goldfreak said:
After moving from Cairns to just outside of Adelaide I decided to buy a big fire place. It was a little too heavy as I had to reinforce the floor joists and install a non combustible layer of atleast 50mm. I put a 15mm thick compressed concrete sheet then a 60mm thick granite slab on top then the fire. I underestimated the thickness and legal clearance of the required flu so will have to move the fireplace 7cm to the right to avoid roof trusses. The flu installer comes in on Monday https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...082/1589952347_screenshot_20200520_145409.jpg https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...082/1589952533_screenshot_20200520_145843.jpg

Is that a Cheminees Philippe (cast iron French fire places) if not its a copy, either way the heat generated from the cast is the coota :perfect: :beer:

Goldfreak said:
It is the chiminee philippe radiante 1000 model. I will still be driving a shite car for some time now but atleast I will be warm when I am home :Y: could have bought a gpz instead :playful:

Mate you won't regret it one bit and you have a feature if you ever sell, they are the bee's knees when it comes to fire places :perfect: My brother in law is the importer.

I know the heat they can through out because my brother has a double sided one. I looked at the specs as in KW output and nothing came close to this thing. Also its nice visually with the double glass doors. Was also condidering the Cape cod one because of its ultra efficiency and good performance. Started journey by looking at the bunnings scandia ones but not impressed by build quality or steel thickness. Typo edit "condidering" must be cross between considering and ditherring

SinHof said:
Hi Folks, Been quite a while since i've been on PA, but have checked in every now and the to see what everyone have been up to. Like most, being stuck at home has seen quite a few job done about the place but found a bit of time to drag out the fly tying gear and tie up a few Cod ( the Murray variety) flies. Lets hope we can all get out and about as soon as it's safe to and have some outdoor fun.
Cheers, SinHof.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/972/1589605572_cod_fly_01a.jpg
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/972/1589605611_cod_fly_02a.jpg

Dunno how I missed this post SinHof, mate they are fantastic :perfect: :clap: :clap: nice work :beer:

Goldfreak said:
I know the heat they can through out because my brother has a double sided one. I looked at the specs as in KW output and nothing came close to this thing. Also its nice visually with the double glass doors. Was also condidering the Cape cod one because of its ultra efficiency and good performance. Started journey by looking at the bunnings scandia ones but not impressed by build quality or steel thickness. Typo edit "condidering" must be cross between considering and ditherring

"Big Mouth" that I built for our old farm house was 25mm steel base with 20mm steel back and 15mm sides, plus floor grate, ash tray and bottom vent, took 600mm plus logs and once opened up would roar like a jet engine. The sides would be cherry red at full boar. I see that yours also has base venting so should be amazing once cranked up. Double brick walls :inlove: they'll store some heat, but I'd be removing the the white if it was my place, and building out the wall behind with some matching granite, granite loses heat much slower than bricks.

The options for installation are free standing or enclosed with a facade. If enclosed there capped this allows you the option to duct vents to other rooms and using 12v fan's to draw the heat from the heat bank in the capped facade.

Wishfull said:
Harbourmaster said:
Nice Wishful, I had some of them but have been wondering lately where they have gone as I haven't seen them for a few years now. They used several of those Irons at a time one being used, swap for next one on wood stove and so on my old Gran showed me once using 3 at a time and they are the ones now missing. blame my sons I suppose they did play with them when young. Just had another look at yours recon they put hot coals in that type, other grandparents had some like that. Think they had to be careful of burning holes in the Ironing.
Gday mate. Do you know if those irons had a leather wrapping on the handle that was stitched ? The handle stuff was so brittle it just fell to bits. Not really sure what it was.
Only one's I've seen were wooden but wouldn't be surprised if they used leather. Maybe replace an old split handle perhaps, they didn't throw much away unless it was totally RS

Harbourmaster said:
Wishfull said:
Harbourmaster said:
Only one's I've seen were wooden but wouldn't be surprised if they used leather. Maybe replace an old split handle perhaps, they didn't throw much away unless it was totally RS

The wooden handle one that I have seen on mr google have been straight where as this one is curved. Think I will try to fit a wooden one anyway.

Latest posts