Show us your camp set-up

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool sounds like a good worked out plan,

If you are thinking about getting a fridge, Mine is a 47L and like I said I can pack a good 41/43 frozen meals in there, So depending on how many of you go on your Trips and for how long will give you and Idea what size you need,

I tried packing the food in there in the Shop packaging and it wastes about 40% of the space because the packs are never full, So I pre-cook my food and then freeze it in my containers and I keep a few of them blue Ice blocks in there that I can use to help out the 12v cooler and with putting in the frozen food for the day it hardly ever runs.

Packing is only something learned with trial and error, I always tend to pack too much, As for cutting back what to take I max out on emergency gear and detecting stuff but personal gear is normally the first to get the chop.

That's a good Idea about the powdered milk, I forgot about that stuff, well done. :Y:

goody2shoes said:
You don't need 60 cans of bake beans

you just never know ;) your start as a preppa ? lol

I all so have a billyboiler I think that is how you spell it, they are a great bit of gear, cook your dinner in the morning in the boiler and place the whole thing in the thermal cooker, when you get to where you are going you have a hot meal waiting for you in the boiler,
You buy them on eBay,

link please, all i found was water filtration :(

I can not bring the link up using my mobile phone,

On EBay

It is called,

Billyboil thermal cooker ,

Thermal cooker Eco pot, camping, caravan. And home use,

$79.95 plus potage $9.95

You cook your meal in the boiler, then place it in the thermal cooker,

I put it back on the cooker for couple of minutes as I like my food really hot,

Hope you can find it, it is a great bit of gear,

Goody :)

goody2shoes said:
You will have a great set up by the time your finished RR.

I hope so ay, I bought everything that is low wattage or has low fuel consumption or compact keeping weight down to a minimum, Even my little Gas heater I got use to use a can of Gas every 2 and a half hours now it uses one can every 5 and a half hours just by repositioning the control knob, because from the factory they had it set up so it was either on or off but I took the knob off the shaft and moved it around a couple of notches and now it works as it should.

My fridge uses less than 10watts or 0.57 amps and on 240v it uses 0.37 amps, Where is comes on for 14 minutes and shuts off for 110 minutes, making each cycle just over 2 hours baring in mind this is in cooler temps of around 20*c +/- up in the early 30's those times can drop to about 86 to 96 minutes,

I have 2 100watt solar panels as a back up to feed the 2 x 115Ah/1000cca deep cycle batteries so I don't think I'm gonna run short of power plus I have another 115ah battery in the Truck of the same brand, So in theory I could go bush for as long as the food and water holds out.

ctxkid said:
goody2shoes said:
You don't need 60 cans of bake beans

you just never know ;) your start as a preppa ? lol

I all so have a billyboiler I think that is how you spell it, they are a great bit of gear, cook your dinner in the morning in the boiler and place the whole thing in the thermal cooker, when you get to where you are going you have a hot meal waiting for you in the boiler,
You buy them on eBay,

link please, all i found was water filtration :(
My missus likes her Dream pot.... its supposed to be the top of the range.
https://www.dreampot.com.au/
A bit dearer than Goodys though.

My current setup. Van has shower, toilet, microwave, TV, Satellite TV, Diesel Heating for the cold VIC winter, solarised for independent camping, 2kVA genny when needed.

Bonus is I can charge every battery and device I carry for detecting, laptop, torches, WiFi etc from the van battery.

1543194081_20150512_084719.jpg

The FJ was a great 4x4, but crap for towing
1543194081_20170429_154044.jpg

A better Tug and competent 4x4
1543194081_ensuite.jpg

1543194082_inside_from_door.jpg

1543194082_loo_storage.jpg

1543194082_lounge.jpg

1543194082_shower.jpg

1543194082_vanity.jpg

Sorry forgot to rotate the pics :)

RR ....what are you going to use for a toilet?

Yep I no behind a tree :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you do that please go behind the tree where people can not see you,

Nothing worse than seeing a bloke hanging he's thing out going to the loo, while your driving pass ,

I have a ports toilet that fits under the bed when not in uses,

goody2shoes said:
RR ....what are you going to use for a toilet?

Yep I no behind a tree :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you do that please go behind the tree where people can not see you,

Nothing worse than seeing a bloke hanging he's thing out going to the loo, while your driving pass ,

I have a ports toilet that fits under the bed when not in uses,

I bought a portable cassette one from ebay,

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-Gallon...amping-Travel-Toilet-Porta-Potti/263273038519

And for doing the Laundry I got one of these, It only uses 240 watts, Lol.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compact-...ine-Home-Washer-Spin-Dryer-5-6KG/253628461807

My loo is the same ,

I don't really have the room for a washing machine :lol:

I have a bucket with a toilet plunger, drill hole's into the plunger, then plunge it up and down,

If I am going to be driving I put my clothes in the bucket, they wash them self's,

I use Martha gardener's wool wash and then I don't have to rinse, it Save's a lot of water that way,

By using a washing machine you will go through the water,

I am working on a way to recycle the water, Not only that I will limit the times I use it and use it most in trailer parks, If I use it twice a month in the bush it's only going to use 15 to 20L of water,

when in use, you wash in one tub and rinse in the other but as you rinse the water goes back in the main tub and then recycle/clean/filter the water ready for next time.

I all so try and stop at pools, you can have a swim, a hot shower and wash some small items of clothes while your having a shower,

I drove around Australia last year,

I slept on the ground in a sleeping bag and a roll up kind of mattress,

My friend slept in my car ,along with the white cat that turn 14 on the trip, she is now 15 years old,

Think she wants to go again :lol: :lol:

We looked forward to every change of a hot shower,

Had rats walking over us while trying to sleep,

Ants trying to carry me off in to the bushes every night, just lucky I weight a lot :lol: :lol: ,

Drinking water that looked like pee...then again it might of of been pee :lol: :lol:

Could not sleep at some places because of crocodiles,

Every chance got water and soft drink, food, petrol,

We did this for around 9 or 10 weeks,

Did the big lap of Australia,

Would I do this again like that? Hell nooooooo :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But what a experience it was and very glad that I did do it,

Now I have my little caravan,

Will do that trip again, but in a bit of style,

PS I had my trailer with all the crap in it that we took. Half of which we did not use,

Latest posts