Sapphires, Rubies, Zircons - field trip wanted Daylesford area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey where are you blokes meeting saturday morning? I think i can get away I grew up in daylesford and ahve prospected it for near 12 months might be able to show a few tricks :)

EternalChase said:
ask Ron which Bakery, he is the expert on the name of it :)

we're meeting at 8:30am.

Used to be called the "Modern Day Bakery and Cafe" now called the "DAYLESFORD BAKERY".
It has a grey front and is on the Eastern side of Vincent St, "the main drag", between the two roundabouts.
I should be there by 8.30, coffee, munchies and off around 9.00 ish.

If you miss us there, follow the Midland Hwy towards Ballarat. Just out of town, you will go past the old Ballarat Rd, then turn left on track near start of armco on bend in road. 1/2 km or so, turn left on another track, keep going under powerline and work your way back around to the left along the creek and back under the powerline. Anyones who's coming should be along there within 150m or so.

Cheers, Ron.

good news were getting some rain right now in Ballarat which means rain in Daylesford, should flush some of those mozzies away :)

I'm dying here guys. Work doesn't seem to end. A day off would be nice without a 4am start the next day. 5 weeks and I'm on annual leave. Cant wait. ;) Hope to meet up with a few of you then.

G'day Golddig and Tiger.
Sorry you guys couldn't make it. Here's hoping you both get over your ailments, (excess work is not good for your health either), and make it out for the next trip.

Wayne, (Eternal Chase) Mark, (deepblue) and I caught up at the Bakery. I had my breakie, bacon and eggs, and well all had coffees and a good chat.

Arrived at the creek about 9.30 and Mark and I picked out couple of likely spots. Wayne reckons we work too hard and just supervised. He nicked off for a while and swung his 5000 around. He picked up a nice little picker, well almost a nugget.

Caught up with a few other guys at the creek as well, but they didn't hang around that long and decided to head to Bryces Flat.

I tried the plumbed up MacKirk with the bilge pump, only to confirm my suspicions that 2000 gph is not enough for the Boss. I did however manage to find a very nice picker about 5mm x 3mm x 1.5m and a smattering of small stuff in my first cleanout. Because of the low flow, I really had to have a little too much fall on the sluice, otherwise it just wouldn't clean out, then if I had too much and left it running, the riffles would almost empty after a while. So, more flow and fall will be the go. I'd have to say 3000, would be a better minimum, but I'm seriously looking at a small Honda transfer pump now. The smallest with about 7500gph need only sit there just of idle to provide enough water, and so, should last ages on a tankfull. Bit of a pity though, I was trying to avoid having to cart petrol around. Still, it will suit my hi-banker better as well.

Wayne buggered off home for lunch but promised to show Mark and I the way to a new spot. He had given Mark and I a very nice bound map of the area at Breakie. We gave him a call when we were ready to head off, and met him in Daylesford.

Wayne, very generously and graciously led the way in his 4be. 15 minutes later, Mark and I were eying what looked to be a very promising spot. Both Wayne and I pulled out our detectors and found lots of ferrous targets, but we weren't really serious, more like having a play around.

Anyway, Wayne left us to it, and Mark and I did a bit of sniping. Mark found just a little colour. There's no flow in the creek there, but there are a few good holes to pump from.

Mark and I are going back on Monday morning and see if the area warrants further visits. We'll keep you posted. Thanks again Wayne.

Now, where can I get a pump on Sunday,,mmmmm.

Cheers Ron.

Hey Ron

I wss there mate we met at the creek :) was a good day I took a few of tge boys down to another spot we got some good colours considering. next time ill be a but earlier and you might remember me :)

G0lddigg@ said:
Hey Ron

I wss there mate we met at the creek :) was a good day I took a few of tge boys down to another spot we got some good colours considering. next time ill be a but earlier and you might remember me :)

Sorry about that. I'm bloody hopeless with names. It usually takes me a couple of meetings before it sinks in.
You're probably wondering what I was on about with my comment about "ailments" as well. Mark said one of the guys was was dirty he couldn't make it because of work, and when I read your post "ill have to meet you lot diwn the creek I cant get away just yet", I thought you were crook, "ill"
Der, I'm gettin old, leave me alone.

Catch ya again anyway. Might sink in next time.

Cheers, Ron.

lol your right mate was good to catch up anyway cracking weathet accept for the flies eh :) hope you get on the colour tomorrow mate

G'day fellas,

Yeah was a great day out yesterday with Ron and Wayne, Wayne lent some of his endless expertise and knowledge with us over breakfast.. Some of us even got through 2 coffees as the conversation was so gripping.

Spent a large number of hours in Sailors, time really does fly when you're having fun.. Golddigg dropped by to say hello (was it Dustin or Justin? - or something else all together) and we met up with his crew later on once we went back to the vehicles for some refreshment and a few more tools. Found out that gold floats, apparently, after some deliberation. (None of mine did mind you) :)

Moved on VERY late in the afternoon to the new spot Ron is speaking of, thanks to our trusty guide (Wayne), and did some very brief sniping up to approx 7pm but he time we packed it in and called it a day. Caught some rays on the rear of the neck, bit warm today.. No snakes I can happily report, plenty of spiders though much to my disappointment! If it's not one f'in thing that slithers it's some f'in creepy crawlies that have 8 legs.... All good though

Must be getting old as my back is sore as anything today, looking for forward to the power sluice/highbanker to arrive!!

Still no sign of rain, at least not this week or the weekend coming. Day trip again tomorrow, I think, will see what happens..

P.S took a bucket of concentrate home to pan off which I did today (ran out of time at Sailors) and found some nice pieces of yellow plus a bunch of different gems - some very deep red gems and a nice greeny which almost looked emerald like..

Hey everyone, just wanted to touch base. this bloody weather is insane im dying not being able to get out, but its just not worth the heatstroke. anyone been out of late? :)

Latest posts