Sapphires, Rubies, Zircons - field trip wanted Daylesford area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys, I am driving through Daylesford this Saturday morning around 8 to 8.30. It would be great to have a coffee and feed with you at the bakery. Looked around Daylesford and found small gems (very small). I detect and pan, but for the next 6 weeks tied up preparing and all being well driving a car for Lake Gairdner. Cheers Max

G'day names Marty from Glenroy, just joined up today been reading all the posts on Daylesford sounds like you blokes do a bit of both gold and gems. I've just got back into it and been getting a few good specks out at Dolly's creek got a small sluice with a ripper little Honda 4 stroke, and just brought a GPX5000 but bit sus on the way it sound's when searching, I found 3 small pieces first time out but thing done me head in with a constant erratic noise. Anyway just been on the net and found that Lerderderg has opened up two spot's for detecting, 1 yankee creek 2 morning star and you can camp out there. years ago I sluiced the river at the bottom of town not knowing it was band and got the best gold i.ve ever had and heaps of gems. anyway i'll be in touch soon be good to talk to you all.

Yes I bought a GPX5000 a few months back and I know what you mean, you have to keep ground balancing especially in hot rock areas. I am calling in at the bakery in about 90 minutes. Max

Highway1 said:
Yes I bought a GPX5000 a few months back and I know what you mean, you have to keep ground balancing especially in hot rock areas. I am calling in at the bakery in about 90 minutes. Max

The bakery does a pretty good bacon and eggs on toast guys.
Those issues you mention with the GPX is one of the many reasons I ended up going for a Garrett ATX, way easier to use and very stable. Maybe not as powerful as 5000, but whats better, a GPX that's not always running as it should be, or an ATX that's pretty much "on the money" nearly all the time? (good pun aye,,lol)
Anyway, enjoy you coffee and good luck.

Cheers, Ron.

Hi Ron, yes enjoyed my coffee and a light feed. Yesterday was hot with a northly wind so a good day to be air conditioned if possible, I was on the road for most of it so did it easy heat wise. I considered a Garrett and went Minelab, but at times I just wish for silent rocks amoungst all the gold. :) ;) Cheers Max

Hey all,

What a great setup here! If anyone is headed down on a weekend anytime and wouldn't mind the company I'd love to come!

bindy said:
G'day names Marty from Glenroy, just joined up today been reading all the posts on Daylesford sounds like you blokes do a bit of both gold and gems. I've just got back into it and been getting a few good specks out at Dolly's creek got a small sluice with a ripper little Honda 4 stroke, and just brought a GPX5000 but bit sus on the way it sound's when searching, I found 3 small pieces first time out but thing done me head in with a constant erratic noise. Anyway just been on the net and found that Lerderderg has opened up two spot's for detecting, 1 yankee creek 2 morning star and you can camp out there. years ago I sluiced the river at the bottom of town not knowing it was band and got the best gold i.ve ever had and heaps of gems. anyway i'll be in touch soon be good to talk to you all.

Hi everyone. I've just started a new topic called "EVERYONE MUST READ THIS, or risk loosing the right to prospect"

Here's a link. https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4792

Please take the time to read it.

Cheers, Ron.

Odd piece of gold still coming out of the diggings, sailors creek is bone dry.
cheers deepblue

LOL I went to sailors creek yesterday to find it bone dry. Not even a bloody puddle.

I think it's time to whip out the metal detector next trip.

Couldn't believe how busy it was in the main street, it's like everyone from Melbourne goes there on long weekends.

Chill out festival was this weekend, hey GT give me a call next time your up and we'll go out detecting.
regards deepblue

Hey guys, about time I checked in again.... I have recently purchased my first detector, 705 to start off with for now and learn the ropes. I was up in Daylesford a few weekends ago, detecting, found plenty of rubbish including a nice old Bulldozer Bucket Tooth. That thing made the 705 scream, thought i was on the money as it came through at 32/34 for some odd reason.

New Coil turning up sometime this week, might give that a go this weekend. Been digging halfway to China too running some dirt and finding the odd bit of colour.

Latest PMAV Publication begins to explain what the impact of new legislation due to pass in November this year will mean for us all. Based on what I have read sluices will be outlawed, I am yet to read the actual fine print but there could be further restrictions :(

Hey ET. That's not good news re sluices but great news wrt you 705. Keep us posted on what you think of it as I was looking at those a while back.

Hey EC,

Major bummer about the sluices, im assuming that means highbankers as well then?

Is that Victoria wide?

I'm yet to try out the Wal Banker / highbanker i bought, There is just no water anywhere.

Does anyone know of any gold bearing creeks/rivers in Victoria that have water in them?

Hey DB,

What days next week best suits you? I'm on annual leave now so most days should suit me?

Cheers,

GT

Golden Tiger said:
Hey EC,

Major bummer about the sluices, im assuming that means highbankers as well then?

Is that Victoria wide?

I'm yet to try out the Wal Banker / highbanker i bought, There is just no water anywhere.

Does anyone know of any gold bearing creeks/rivers in Victoria that have water in them?

theres a few around mate but not alot sorry cant give any spots away this time of year theres just not alot of water. I suggest puttimg the time in going for long walks.

Latest posts