Sapphires, Rubies, Zircons - field trip wanted Daylesford area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Ron, Mark,
Be up there around lunch time have a few more spot for you if your interested.
Wayne

Guy very jealoys of you all, I cant make it need to put all spare cash into kids school stuff this week, 3 at school and one at kinda so just not going to have the cash to make it. Dont feel im rude, I will join u guys soon

onespecSteve said:
Guy very jealoys of you all, I cant make it need to put all spare cash into kids school stuff this week, 3 at school and one at kinda so just not going to have the cash to make it. Dont feel im rude, I will join u guys soon

All good Stevie. It's just a case of priorities, and it seems you have yours in the right order. Good job.

It'll all come together one day.

Cheers, Ron

Hi GT,

Very little water, I just dropped in to say hi to Ron. Didn't take any gear.

I'm keeping fingers crossed for a heavy downpour one night, looking at the BOM we've got nothing coming in the near future... :(

Steve, we're not going anywhere and neither is the gold as far as I can tell haha - when you make it then it will be even sweeter when you take some yellow home!

Bumped into Wayne on the way out from seeing Ron, will have to take you up on the offer of other spots - are there any with water at the moment?

Mark

G'day guys.

Good to catch up Mark, Wayne, Brian and his kids. Faces and names, all I gotta do is remember them now.

Bugger all water. Big Bryza managed to get a little flow through his new sluice, just enough to get him a little colour so he was pleased. Brian got his flow over the crossing where the water had to go over rather than through.

There's quite a few holes with a little bit of flow coming through the gravel to top the holes up. Enough to run my 2000 gal/hour bilge pump for my hi banger. Most of the gravel there has been turned over that many times though, it's sun burnt on all sides.

Just before it was time for me to head off, I found a little more colour which will see me trying again next week, but I reckon that will be it then. I'll be looking for greener pastures,,, or is that yellower,,,, anyway, somewhere different. Actually, next weekend I might go somewhere to do an overnighter. We'll see.

This trip all I got was the usual gems, and some small colour. In amongst it though were 3 or 4 quite course pickers.

Oh by the way. It seems I pulled a clanger. I told everyone to meet me at the "Modern Day Bakery and Cafe", trouble is, about six months ago it was renamed. I forgot the name and checked it out on Google "Street View" and obviously, the image is over six months old. It's now the Daylesford Bakery. Best laid plans of mice and men aye,,, Sorry bout that.

Oh well, may all your pans be full of yellow stuff,,,, and I don't mean bed pans.

Cheers, Ron.

PS. Remember Brian. Next time, if you want your young bloke to get interested and not get bored, seed his pan with a little colour when he's not looking. Might be a good investment. Certainly a better hobby that some of the other stuff our young folk are into these days. A bit like taking them fishing for the first time. Make sure they catch some fish, even if it is rubbish.

Yeah thanks guys its a bummer but what can you do hey, kids cost alot of coin :) I was going to try and get up to beechworth before the end of their holidays but that can wait for a weekender :) Im really hanging to get out there, remember you dont need water completely although its great but you can classify down there and take concentrates home.

crazyk said:
Ron, that's a great trick for the kids.....does it work with adults? Hmmm

I think us Adults have all the encouragement required when it comes to chasing the colour... :)

Sometimes a little too much encouragement - I was back at the creek again yesterday!!!

crazyk said:

Trust me it does, but don't tell me missus.

Seriously though, the first time I took her out, I found a likely looking crack,,,, in the rocks you bums,,, scratched it out and saw a little colour. I panned off about half to show her how it was done and noticed a little more, but never drew attention to it, so when I let her go for it, I was confident she had some. But, not wanting to leave it to chance, I had a bit in my pocket just in case.

I must say, it is good when you want to buy new gear, detector or whatever, if your partner is keen and shares your interest.

As far as the kids go, they could do a hell of a lot worse, than to get keen on going bush, camping, panning etc.

Devious bastard aint I,,,lol.

Cheers, Ron.

EternalChase said:
crazyk said:

I think us Adults have all the encouragement required when it comes to chasing the colour... :)

Sometimes a little too much encouragement - I was back at the creek again yesterday!!!

You're hooked then aye,,lol
So how'd ya go?

Cheers, Ron.

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of going to the Daylesford Bakery at 8.30 again next Saturday. If I go, I'm gunna try a little area near where I was, close to the powerline crossing over Sailors Ck.

I might head off to somewhere different later in the morning or early arvo, and camp the night, but I'm just not sure where I'll head to. Anyone got any good ideas and up for a campover? Just Saturday night for me at this stage.

I usually go to camp number 3 in the Creswick State Park, but I hear there's bugger all water, and it's probably going to be busy and noisy like the last time I camped there. Drove me nuts all day with their bush bikes (gutted mufflers) and loud music and hollering till 1 am.

Anyone keen to plan something, or just bring your gear, meet up and decide on the day?

Cheers, Ron.

G'day Ron,

Why not, I'll be there.. Bakery at 8:30 sounds good for a quick coffee.

Water was terrible on Sunday just gone, but there is a lot in that pool under the power lines you're referring to - just gotta figure out how to utilise that to our advantage.. Was almost going to start digging a channel across the road... (but didn't).

Mark

Hi Guys,
I have checked out another spot there is only a little flow but a lot of rock bars exposed with quite a few deep pools, you might even be able to camp there as well. Also there is alleged to have good gold there and quite a bit of the beaten track.
cheers Wayne :)

I'm keen to look at the new spot Wayne if you are keen to show :)

Do you want to meet at Sailor's Ck at some stage and head off after I spend a few hours there? When you say off the beaten track, what would access be like for my car?

Let me know when your going to be up this way and I'll take you out there shouldn't be any problem for you in your car.

EternalChase said:
G'day Ron,

Why not, I'll be there.. Bakery at 8:30 sounds good for a quick coffee.

Water was terrible on Sunday just gone, but there is a lot in that pool under the power lines you're referring to - just gotta figure out how to utilise that to our advantage.. Was almost going to start digging a channel across the road... (but didn't).

Mark

Thank christ ya didn't. Wouldn't be a good look in the headlines,,, "Horse Trainer crashes sulky in prospectors channel",,, there's a horse trainer who takes his trotter up that hill most days,,,lol.

If you can spring for it, get yourself a bilge pump, a few feet of hose and a jump start battery pack. I use a small pack to get about 1 1/2 hrs continuous running with a 2000gph pump and works ok on my hi banker. Similar should work with a small to average river sluice. Might just have to use a few bigger rocks to break up the flow a bit. Even if there are no pools, you can dig a hole in the larger gravel and get decent flow into the hole. Food for thought.

See ya there Mark,,, I usually have a toasted sanga there as well.

Cheers, Ron.

deepblue said:
Hi Guys,
I have checked out another spot there is only a little flow but a lot of rock bars exposed with quite a few deep pools, you might even be able to camp there as well. Also there is alleged to have good gold there and quite a bit of the beaten track.
cheers Wayne :)

Sounds interesting Wayne. So are you coming to the Bakery in the morning, or will we see you out at Sailors Ck?

Cheers, Ron.

I'll try and make the Bakery otherwise I'll meet you at Sailors Creek.
I'll make up a couple of maps of the area for the guys.
cheers Wayne ;)

Latest posts