Sand scoops

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, just starting detecting and I'm wondering if anyone has made a homemade sand scoop which has been successful.
Any pics would be greatly appreciated
I have made a small handled unit from 90mm pic (total cost $4.90)
Looking to make larger capacity long handled unit
Thanks in advance
1515386539_image.jpg

Looks pretty good Manpa.Welcome to the forum mate.What detector are you swinging?

Manpa said:
Hi, just starting detecting and I'm wondering if anyone has made a homemade sand scoop which has been successful.
Any pics would be greatly appreciated
I have made a small handled unit from 90mm pic (total cost $4.90)
Looking to make larger capacity long handled unit
Thanks in advance
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/11747/1515386539_image.jpg

For a small scoop like that your holes should be a bit closer together, for a larger scoop a bit more apart. Don't forget to make your holes smaller than the biggest thing you expect to find.

1515390097_dscf4436.jpg

1515390097_dscf4438.jpg

1515390097_dscf4439.jpg

Minelab exterra 705 dual coil pack, headphones, home made scoop and a medium pick from bluejeansronald on the way.
Still a bit to put together.
What equipment do you run?

For a small scoop like that your holes should be a bit closer together, for a larger scoop a bit more apart. Don't forget to make your holes smaller than the biggest thing you expect to find

Thanks whispa, first attempt with scrap, probably get a bit more serious with 2nd and 3rd attempts. Thanks for the tip re holes, I did use this scoop this morning and immediately came home and increased the hole size, might add some more on your recommendation.
Long handle unit is a priority to save the back and knees! :) :) :)

Same mate,705 dual pack and just purchased a 6 inch 18.75khz coil off another member of the forum.I don't have a pick as yet but have a mate who could knock me one up with his welding skills.Looking at maybe a beach trip soon so I will have to make myself one of those scoops.

Eldorado said:
Same mate,705 dual pack and just purchased a 6 inch 18.75khz coil off another member of the forum.I don't have a pick as yet but have a mate who could knock me one up with his welding skills.Looking at maybe a beach trip soon so I will have to make myself one of those scoops.
Happy hunting!!

Latest posts