Riverina Area

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

New to the forum and have a couple of questions that hopefully some here might be able to assist with.

Was there much gold mining around the Wagga area, I know of the mining further north but just around Wagga; and
How do you obtain a permit?

Await replies

Cheers

Birdy

My cousin lives near Illabo and he said that there was some gold mining around their. He is not into prospecting, but mentioned some old workings around that area?

Haven't heard of much close to Wagga itself. Have a good mate who lives in Wagga and spends most of his gold hunting in the Tumut and Adalong areas. He does quite well there.

Cheers Wal.

There WERE a couple of gold mines in and around Wagga, but they were insanely deep and collapsed in on themselves years before the city was built... IF there is ANY close to the surface there MAY be a few specks to be found at Wagga beech when it is incredibly low... But its not very likely sorry bud... As Wal said though, there is a bit at adelong, not a lot but definitely worth the odd day trip.

Here is a link to a map you can download of all the known strikes in the area, if you search the site you can also bring up Junee. Unfortunately though the only places these maps have paid off for me are in currently known prospecting areas like young and adelong, but best of luck anyways, if ya find some let me know ;)

http://www.resources.nsw.gov.au/geo...250-000/wagga-wagga-1250-000-metallogenic-map

Also, in relation to the second part of your question you only need a permit to prospect in state forests, which can be obtained through the state forestry I THINK there is an office in Wagga, but the website should have contact info fo ya. As for other areas, crown lands don't require a permit, nor do private lands such as farms although you do need the land holders permission first

Thanks all for the good information, will take a look at the link and locate the office in Wagga for any permits that may be required.

A friend of mine has a property at The Rock and has invited me to stay for a few days. It would be nice if I could find the odd nugget.

I got a permit at the tumut state forests office to fossick for all nsw state forests just to cover my butt, $22 is a cheap way to keep any rangers off your back I reckon! ;)

Hi new to this live in junee looking for close by areas for metal detector fun any in put where do I get maps.thanx

Latest posts