Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most old books are based on 'Reported' Finds... Not actual finds. .. Lots of Minerals and shiny stuff wasn't correctly identified back in the day... Old books are good for reference, but not 100% reliable...

LW...
That makes sense, thanks mate!
Does that also mean my old books are still accurate to a form of crystal in the area, just not correct crystal? Like stuff labelled ruby could just be red zircon or garnet even red agate? Or could they just be stuff like pyrites tricking the old blokes and no point at all checking? Or a bit of both to make it all harder for me? 🤣
Cheers LoneWolf! :)

What area do you live ?
Yes thats correct... I use them as a 'guide' only.... Worth checking over the area with a Geological Map as well... That helps in finding locations worth checking out, along with info from old and new books specific to the area you are looking at. Researching Government web sites, Old mine reports , things like that will help to find areas worth the groundwork to investigate.. Its not easy... I had a good mate teach me about reading a Geo map... Then we went out to look in that area... 99% of the time we came home with goodies... If you are looking for Crystals and Minerals , a good book to get is called 'Pegmatite's of Western Australia' expensive so hunt around as prices vary heaps. I got my copy from the USA for $40 AUD... .. It explains how Crystals are formed and what to look for in Identifying a Pegmatite thats where Crystals are made and all in relatively plain English...
If its Gold you are after, there are more knowledgeable people on here that can help in that field...

Hope this helps you...

LW...

Last edited:
What area do you live ?
Yes thats correct... I use them as a 'guide' only.... Worth checking over the area with a Geological Map as well... That helps in finding locations worth checking out, along with info from old and new books specific to the area you are looking at. Researching Government web sites, Old mine reports , things like that will help to find areas worth the groundwork to investigate.. Its not easy... I had a good mate teach me about reading a Geo map... Then we went out to look in that area... 99% of the time we came home with goodies... If you are looking for Crystals and Minerals , a good book to get is called 'Pegmatite's of Western Australia' expensive so hunt around as prices vary heaps. I got my copy from the USA for $40 AUD... .. It explains how Crystals are formed and what to look for in Identifying a Pegmatite thats where Crystals are made and all in relatively plain English...
If its Gold you are after, there are more knowledgeable people on here that can help in that field...

Hope this helps you...

LW...
I'm from Mildura, Victoria, so don't worry about geology in my area 🤣 minimum 3 hours travel to anything decent, so if I'm already going to catch a bus that far I don't mind travelling a but further for better areas, just gotta find places that I can get off a bus stop and hike in with my tools and hiking gear 🤣 bit of bloody effort but always worth it in the end.
I was using mapsharevic and a couple of other decent little websites that took me down a rabbit hole but they're all pretty difficult to learn how to use 🤣 so just found old timers gold maps for the area for this time around
I'll keep an eye out for that book at a good price cheers mate! It's not just referring to WA though is it? as I dont go much further than Vic, maybe SA and into NSW a little bit, but not that often, very helpful thanks heaps legend! 🙏

Latest posts