River / Stream Sluices - advice, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is one very instructive video Ag Man. Will be modifying my home made sluice to allow a rock to hold it down in the water.

heres some picks

P1030724_zpse3716291.jpg

P1030725_zps37ae9b43.jpg

i am still working on it ;)

Pete_The_Prospector said:
I'd like see to that in action HTY

Me too.

Getting back to the thread question tho, it doesn't look all that light Simeon.

Can see that it should catch some colour but is there an easy way to clean this way out?
Only way I see to clean it is to bung it on it's side & rinse. But you'd need a huge tub or plastic tarp of some sort to catch it.

Good on you for trying something different

I see ya point ag man but to me this is simple design that could be left in a very slow moving creek for a few weeks then recovered. That is the idea I'm thinking of know some private land that only gets water during heavy rains.
Getting the color first is more important to me than the clean out, but I understand what you say.

Got a mate who made a drop riffle sluice out of exactly the same pipe....He cut a section like you have....sprayed a release agent on the Ribbed side (under side of yours ) and laid a sheet of fiberglass soaked in resin on top. When it dried it came strait off and he had a super light drop riffle sluice that works better than anything on the market.....Cheers Wal,

Prospector steve said:
:D here guys check this out , its different but it works

You have one of these?

I watched that video a while back on an other forum.

:D No mate :showing that outside the square can take us to different ways, as for the question earlier about drainage pipe for a sluice, check this guy out it works well!!!. He now uses a sluice like you or I but be put 40 movies up in a series with the plankton sluice interesting and cheap.

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZTxUurdOhg[/video]

Cheers all Steve.

I ordered a 12x45 Half n Half sluice from South Yuba Mining a while ago. Have only had the opportunity to use it once so far at Nundle. Very easy to clean and was catching very fine gold. Nothing of size, but that is probably because there was nothing of size where I was :p

I will put a pick up later, don't feel like walking to the shed in the rain right now.

Total cost from memory was $220 delivered. Mind you the exchange rate is better now ;)

A dredge/highbanker hopper can be added to it. Very happy with the build and quality.

http://southyubamining.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=37&Itemid=125

Well I decided to brave the rain for some pics. Nothing better to do when it is this wet.

1359341501_sluice.jpg

1359341560_sluice2.jpg

Dogmatic said:
I ordered a 12x45 Half n Half sluice from South Yuba Mining a while ago. Have only had the opportunity to use it once so far at Nundle. Very easy to clean and was catching very fine gold. Nothing of size, but that is probably because there was nothing of size where I was :p

I will put a pick up later, don't feel like walking to the shed in the rain right now.

Total cost from memory was $220 delivered. Mind you the exchange rate is better now ;)

A dredge/highbanker hopper can be added to it. Very happy with the build and quality.

http://southyubamining.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=37&Itemid=125

They make some great looking gear and not too expensive either, definitely worth a look guys :p

Hi all. I'm thinking of purchasing a stream sluice for a bit of investigation work. I was thinking of the angus mckirks but which one as they have a few.on my last mission me and my brother found a decent patch but had to hike all the highbanking gear about 1.5 km away from the car took about 2 hours which didn't leave much time shoveling plus were exhausted by the time we set up and then had to pack up and do it all again. Water flow was minimal and generally is so if anyone has had success with a mckirk or similar that is light and can carry for miles please please tell me which or what it is . Cheers Daniel

Me & 2 other mates each have the Explorer sluice from MacKirk - Can't fault it.

From my research & the reviews I've read it's the best all rounder.

Get a quote from MacKirk himself inc. delivery & then see if your local dealer can get near the same price(inc. delivery). Also ask delivery date estemate.
From US to country Victoria was 8 days.

All the MacKirks will work.

Also when comparing sluices - just remember that the MacKirks are measured from the widest part of the sluice(outside) - not the widest part of the riffle section.

It's just upto you to decide what size you wish to lug around...

Their weight isn't a problem.

Thanks guys for your info but my main concern is water flow and lack of. I'm thinking about the models that have flares just to make damming it up a little easier. I have never used a stream sluice before so trying to get the right one is daunting. I'm not even quite sure how to set one up? Is it the same fall as a highbanker? If I buy an angus does it come with instructions for best results or do you wing it? Arggghhhh the questions you ask when parting with hard earned money. Don't ask these type of qustions when ordering a big mac. But I still buy it lol all the help I can get . Thanks guys cheers Daniel

Latest posts