River / Stream Sluices - advice, information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one that I ordered in from Canada. I'll post a pic up after dinner.

Sorry I was wrong, I actually ordered it in from California. It's called an EZ-SLUICE, I think it cost me about $60-$80 delivered.

2gtcbhk.jpg

fcnxp5.jpg

I like the look of that. It's look small and efficient. I am slowly building a large high banker sluice box. brought ripple tray on Ebay my brother folded first piece of alloy now need second piece & diamond mesh then put it together. It's kind of on hold at present. The only cost is the ripple tray so far. When I do finish it I can take the kids to some like rushworth park 4wd next to river & watch kids playing gold miner. 5 Kids lots of liittle miner's LOL

Not off hand but I'll measure it up later on and let you know.

Looking at the Ezy Sluice it should be 10" x 48". Same as out 48" power sluice that can used as a river sluice by attaching the flare.

I would prefer something in the 4-6kgs range, I have to travel a long way carrying a lot of gear and I want to pack a light as possible. When you say it can be turned into a river sluice, what do you mean by that?

Hi Ferrous,
I use a MacKirk Explorer sluice. Dealt direct with the manufacturer in USA. just fits into a standard bucket for quick clean out & can handle good volume. Classify using a 1/2" screen. They're rugged, simple & light.
About $125 inc. delivery to Aust. 8 days.
Quicker & cheaper than going thru an Aus distributor as they don't generally stock this model & they said there'd be extra freight charges for special orders & that it may take a while to get here...

That Ezsluice looks the go too... $60-80 inc. delivery is most excellent!

Here's a pic of the MacKirk in a local creek.
Needs very little water to run but can cope with good volume of water too.

IMG_0540480x640.jpg

I love how you can see your gold hang back on the feed tray(big or small...)

IMG_0604.jpg

Hmm, here's a pic of how I cart my sluice & gear around only thing to carry in your hand is a shovel(& a pump if using it as a powersluice)

IMG_0559480x640.jpg

i have one the same as nugget and they work great first time out got quite a bit just get a 20 litre bucket for the gravel and a fine sieve and then just trowel it slowly in the mouth of the ezi sluice
They weigh about i kilo

Are there any good videos showing how o set up the flow through the river sluice box's? How fast and how deep above the riffles do you need?

Here's one vid I like.
It's the same sluice I got. This review helped me decide to choose this model.

The bloke craps on a bit for the first 4 minutes but worth watching & explains things fairly good.

[video=480,360]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHd-KriR7SE[/video]

Make sure sluice is set level(sideways) & enough drop to get a 1" rock to casually roll thru the sluice. Too fast - then make the angle less. To slow increase the drop.

I try & aim to have water about half way up my sluice.

You want the riffles to not load up completely - just catch the heavies. you want the lights & heavies to do a little dance in the water - lights rolling out of the riffles & heavies remaining.

One good guide is when you see the "V' formation at the the entry of the sluice - you want the point of the "V" near the 1st riffle.

Best thing is to go out with someone who knows & get out & do it.

Sometimes to get more water or flow/drop you may need to build temporary wing dams with logs, rocks etc.

Good luck.

Latest posts