Random Quizzes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no required course for Sub 2kg excluded class, but any education is welcomed by the existing operators, no doubt!

1589111807_untitled1.jpg

1st one right then 7 wrong in a row , wouldn't make an difference what race any of them were I just don't bother knowing facts about celebrities

Daily QuizKnow Indigenous Australians?

8 / 20

You got 8 out of 20 correct.You are the 7708th person to take this quiz.

Retry Quiz

Certificate
certificate.php

Add your name to certificate
Wishful. Peter J.
Yes, that was easy to get - so long as you dont mind giving the wrong answer. South Africa has not been the worlds largest producer of gold for decades. This quiz must be ancient!

Yes, that was easy to get - so long as you dont mind giving the wrong answer. South Africa has not been the worlds largest producer of gold for decades. This quiz must be ancient!
Haven't they produced about ~50% of the worlds total gold?
In decline now but overall still the top producer?
Either way China is currently the top producer & consumer.
The questions don't really say current or overall & at the end of the day it's a bit of fun not a pop quiz for a masters degree.

Goldie i am sure i read that Russia isthe largest producer of gold in the world maybe you could verify please? Mackka
No. In 2021 China was top (370T per annum but falling), Australia (330T), Russia (300T but increasing). So not a lot between the top three. Then USA (180 T and falling), Canada (170 T and falling). Ghana (130 T), South Africa (100 T), Hence my comment about South Africa in the quiz - its annual production has declined 85% between 1980 and 2018 and probably wont increase again - when I was there it was around 1000 T. Their problem is partly the deepest mines in the world, one nearly 4 km deep. It costs a lot to sink shafts deeper than that and the rock temperature is excessive as well as the logistics of getting thousands of miners to great depths every day, Pressures at that depth are such that the floor may crush you against the roof, and if the walls are not smooth you can be killed by boondies the size of baseballs flying off irregular projections of rock like cannonballs. Mines have entire rock mechanics departments continuously measuring and mapping stress buildups throughout the mine workings.

Australia has the largest reserves still in the ground (11.000 T) closely followed by Russia (6800 T) so we will stay in the top three and Russia may show the steepest climb, China may continue to fall. They have come from a very low base over the last 15 years (I feel a bit guilty that I was in northern Siberia assisting only a bit over a decade ago when we still thought glasnost and perestroika was continuing)

No. In 2021 China was top (370T per annum but falling), Australia (330T), Russia (300T but increasing). So not a lot between the top three. Then USA (180 T and falling), Canada (170 T and falling). Ghana (130 T), South Africa (100 T), Hence my comment about South Africa in the quiz - its annual production has declined 85% between 1980 and 2018 and probably wont increase again - when I was there it was around 1000 T. Their problem is partly the deepest mines in the world, one nearly 4 km deep. It costs a lot to sink shafts deeper than that and the rock temperature is excessive as well as the logistics of getting thousands of miners to great depths every day, Pressures at that depth are such that the floor may crush you against the roof, and if the walls are not smooth you can be killed by boondies the size of baseballs flying off irregular projections of rock like cannonballs. Mines have entire rock mechanics departments continuously measuring and mapping stress buildups throughout the mine workings.

Australia has the largest reserves still in the ground (11.000 T) closely followed by Russia (6800 T) so we will stay in the top three and Russia may show the steepest climb, China may continue to fall. They have come from a very low base over the last 15 years (I feel a bit guilty that I was in northern Siberia assisting only a bit over a decade ago when we still thought glasnost and perestroika was continuing)
Thanks for the info Goldie, much appreciated.

I am sure that I read the other day that Australia is now the top producer of gold. I am looking for it now.

I am sure that I read the other day that Australia is now the top producer of gold. I am looking for it now.
Might well be - there is not much in it - as I said, these were figures for 2021 and China is decreasing. However noone would know accurately for 2022 yet.

Latest posts