Random Quizzes

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did not no that Chewy ..

Bit of a worry tho as I would of through it would not be aloud to buzzy around where kids are ..

Learn something new every day ha

Goody :)

It is not illegal to fly anywhere (within the casa rules) including over houses and buildings provided you are 30m away from people (people in houses don't count), and under 120m above ground level (taken from where you launch).There are many drones out there used for legitimate business purposes, such as real estate photography, roofing inspections, mapping, power line or tower inspections and construction estimates. Thats not even considering the fact that the emergency services use drones also. Good luck to anybody who shoots down an emergency services drone with explaining that. Lol People need to realise that 9 out of 10 drones they see are piloted by people with better things to do spy on them. And most drones have a camera that can't zoom, and very wide field of view. You're more at risk of being spied on by somebody parked in a car up the road with a $200 point and shoot camera than a $2500 drone. Not to mention everybody has a phone with a camera on it these days.

All good chewy,i have no idea how i got all the questions right in that quizz the dart board was very kind to me :lol: ,i susspose it is like everything if you are going to fly one around you would have to know the do's and don'ts,i don't have one so i don't know the rule's,thinking of getting one, so i will have to have a read of the rules.
Out where i am the power mob have used them twice in about 2 years, but they stick a letter in the mail box to let you know on what days,they are going to be buzzing around,they use the old railway reserve behind me for their launching pad,if i am home i know when it is take off time because the brush cutter go's quite ,they have to clear a launching pad in the grass :D

Just to correct one point Chewy, its 120 mtrs AGL, irrespective of where you launch from.
Imagine a 120mtr string hanging from the drone, that string must touch the ground at all times.

Yeah legal or not, if its in my airspace its treading a fine line between purpose and privacy.

I accept that in public images can be captured without consent and so forth, but flying within the house boundry the gloves are off imo.

Be nice if they could colour code those emergency ones.

What a weird world we live in, you cant voice record someone without their permission, and yet you can stick a drone up capturing images all you like. Smh.

More you mean more... :playful:

No, but surveillance of people in their own property does concern me. It will be worksafe, landlords and local councils next gathering evidence, whether they can use it or not. Its a slippery slope.

A mans home is his castle.

I scored 100%

I personally would not fly mine any where near a private property
and I think it is wrong to do so.

My Phantom 4 Pro logs every thing. When I fly it in hilly country, I
adjust the height accordingly. Not from point of take off.

Also, Not happy about flying it in a built up area. What if some thing
went wrong and the bloody thing hit some one. I would not and do not
take that chance. And further more could not bear the thought of it.

There is plenty of space around here without that crap.

And yes, It is highly illegal to shoot one down. Mine also has my identification
details with it. Reminds me to put that sticker back on. LOL

I did not spend $2500.00 to wreck some one else's life.

Chewy said:
It is not illegal to fly anywhere (within the casa rules) including over houses and buildings provided you are 30m away from people (people in houses don't count), and under 120m above ground level (taken from where you launch).There are many drones out there used for legitimate business purposes, such as real estate photography, roofing inspections, mapping, power line or tower inspections and construction estimates. Thats not even considering the fact that the emergency services use drones also. Good luck to anybody who shoots down an emergency services drone with explaining that. Lol People need to realise that 9 out of 10 drones they see are piloted by people with better things to do spy on them. And most drones have a camera that can't zoom, and very wide field of view. You're more at risk of being spied on by somebody parked in a car up the road with a $200 point and shoot camera than a $2500 drone. Not to mention everybody has a phone with a camera on it these days.

Well Chewy, while there are CASA rules, a drone above my kids below the top of a 8m gumtree in an enclosed yard, for 5 minutes gives me a certain suspicion.
Frankly if I took it down in any way I dont give a turd about the owner and CASA.

Privacy is a part of a persons rights, and I did report it to SAPOL, they asked if I found the owner as they wanted to talk to them, and I DO have rights, and they did violate the law.
Instruction was to report any drone activity like this even if it had left, they would attend - seems like it is an ongoing issue these days.

So while I chatted to another guy the day this thread was started (he was doing a real estate video flight - I told him there was also one the previous day over the NEW units across the road and two houses away - maybe the Agent is playing you or has another guy also?)
He did not bother me. Nor the previous day drone.

4-6m above my kids in the back yard and heading east on departure, does not make me happy. I would be happy to 'hand back' a drone in a number of pieces after it fell into the fishpond,
only delivered into the hands of Police while the owner was present.

Of course you cant discharge a firearm in a back yard, that is an offence, I would never do that anyway, but dont these things run on radio control around 2.5 Ghz ?
Ever stopped someone from locking their car doors, or, opening them in a public car park for laughs ? 400 and a bit Mhz?

Drones, passing over at speed or around, I'm not really disturbed - BUT, clearly targeting my kids, NOT ON !!

Strangely, I am hanging to buy one too, got to save a bit more.........

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zo...ombat-drone-for-australias-air-force-tomorrow

:)

Drones can be dangerous true. I was on the foreshore in Brighton just north Brisbane and was collected by a hang glider, not the bloke the wing. Should have sliced a bloody great gash in it but common sense prevailed. Not even an apology-prick.

I get where you are coming from Green hornet, and if they were above your kids then they were breaking the law. 2 wrongs don't make a right though as they say. Call the cops let them deal with it. Report it to casa and let them deal with it. As Simmo says you don't necessarily have the rights you might think you do. Either way, sounds like the pilot was out of order mate. Problem is as soon as people hear or see a drone anywhere within cooee a lot automatically assume it's spying on them. Also as a drone pilot I can tell you from experience, you would be surprised how deceptive the appearance of distance and height can be to the eye. This was a bit of a surprise to me when I 1st flew. I could have sworn I was a lot higher up than 30m for instance. On the other side of it some people do use them for nefarious reasons. But thats maybe 5% of droners. Most of us are just snapping pics inocently, or shooting some video.

As for operating frequencies it depends on the drone but for instance a lot are dual band now so if they get interference on 2.4 ghz they switch themselves over to a higher frequency.

Got it 100%. Hovering over peoples property and invading their privacy is not on!!! When i done my drone training course for sub 2kg restricted class they drilled it into us Do NOT operate near neighbouring properties with out permission or notifying them at least!

Also if you get caught shooting down a drone you will get put on trial as and charged with the same level of charges as shooting down a manned aircraft!

Thanks for all this guys, Simmo and Chewy.

A few weeks ago Kato was in a park where we always go, it was an arvo out for the family to get exercise and air, also I do some maintenance at the kindy very nearby.
She was detecting in her usual corner under observation of the family

There was a guy with his 3 or 4yr old daughter flying a drone that was directly over Kato at about 30m, could have flown anywhere in the very large park, but it didnt bother me at all because it was a public place, she was doing her thing he was doing his and testing a new drone, his 5th flight. I stopped and chatted with him on the way into the Kindy, seemingly nice guy.
Showed me its features and even some video in flight, very impressive for the size of the DJI thing, bit of wind up there but really stable and good images.

I 'get' that sort of thing, and even had them fly by over me as they video down a jetty length, no problems there either.
Big machines down at the beach on twilight and night flights, no problems.

And yes I do believe that there are very few people being dicks with 'good quality' drones.

I judge height and distance fairly well, my rear yard is not too big, reports to CASA only work if you can ID the owner, same with Police.

:) If it falls in my yard, so be it we will see what happens from that.

I can judge reasonable flight actions, from perceived actions, although some people cant and do over react.

On a happier note, they do get some amazing video and images. I wish they were available 35years ago. :/

Latest posts