Ramjet's detector finds for 2017. . XP Deus.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another quick hunt on my way home from work. The thrip is a bit toasted.

1494118652_20170507_103720.jpg

1494118652_20170507_104747.jpg

1494118652_20170507_103743.jpg

Sweet quicky RJ :cool: :Y: you'll need a bigger shovel to get the rest of that Caterpillar out :eek: :lol: :Y:

Finished my last night shift for this week and hit a well detected spot for a timed 90 minutes. I pulled out the big gun today, CTX, and focused on only deeper targets. I was surprised at how bad the signals were for pennies at 12 to 15 cm. Happy with the results considering how many times Rocket and I have already been over this site.
Got a 3 x penny spill and the ring is junk unfortunately.

1494218605_20170508_093937.jpg

1494218605_20170508_142549.jpg

1494218605_20170508_142617.jpg

1494218605_20170508_142647.jpg

1494218606_20170508_142659.jpg

B5MECH said:
http://coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=14652
Well there's a different coin 8) :cool: :Y: never seen one of them before, top hunting RJ :cool: :Y:
Did you find the CTX hits the deeper targets easier than the Deus?

Thanks B5. That is the 2nd of those threepence coins I have found. As I said in my comments, the deeper coins where scratchy, crappy signals. Similar to what I'd get on the Deus or At Pro. The only reason I dug them was because of my knowledge of the site from previous digs and the depth of the targets. When I go back I would like to do a comparison of targets as I suspect the Deus will ring clearer signals on the pennies.

Danny13 said:
Geez that's good hunt RJ, great pictures !

Thanks Danny. Mate I was impressed and surprised. Rocket and I have been over this site multiple times with various detectors. Plus I was coming off 3 x night shifts so the brain is pretty trashed. It's hard to concentrate when you are so tired. Definitely gotta go back when I have had some sleep. LOL. Rocket was surprised when I told him where I had been. We thought we had pretty much cleaned it out.

Today's lesson... A site is NEVER completely done until it's completely done. :D Really need to grid it up from multi directions. I always turn 90 degrees to my original detection and some of today's targets were reading as iron from one direction but had a little high tone squeak from 90 degrees. A I have said, my main criteria to dig today was the depth of the target. The CTX shows depth in Centimeters where others just have a graph. Anything under 12cms or so was worth digging at this site.

Did a good job at cleaning out those remaining coppers RJ, you will probably find many of the missed coins tend to be sitting on edge - or at least that's what I find when picking the bones of a well worked site. :)

Ramjet said:
Danny13 said:

Thanks Danny. Mate I was impressed and surprised. Rocket and I have been over this site multiple times with various detectors. Plus I was coming off 3 x night shifts so the brain is pretty trashed. It's hard to concentrate when you are so tired. Definitely gotta go back when I have had some sleep. LOL. Rocket was surprised when I told him where I had been. We thought we had pretty much cleaned it out.

Today's lesson... A site is NEVER completely done until it's completely done. :D Really need to grid it up from multi directions. I always turn 90 degrees to my original detection and some of today's targets were reading as iron from one direction but had a little high tone squeak from 90 degrees. A I have said, my main criteria to dig today was the depth of the target. The CTX shows depth in Centimeters where others just have a graph. Anything under 12cms or so was worth digging at this site.
was there much iron trash in the ground ? May of explained the squeakiness ? Did you use the 10x5 or the big attack coil Rod ?

Danny13 said:
Ramjet said:
Danny13 said:
was there much iron trash in the ground ? May of explained the squeakiness ? Did you use the 10x5 or the big attack coil Rod ?

What I like about this site is that there is very little deep trash. Very "clean" for our area iron wise. I still have the big 17 inch coil on as I love how it covers big areas.

It is a good site to compare different detectors. I am finding more and more with my different detectors is that the soft, squeaky, shitty targets can be the best finds. This applies specially to small silver coins. They are the real challenge in my opinion. Everyone likes to find a florin. I guess there are less of them around because of the higher value and mintage but they are a BIG chunk of silver. The smaller silvers, Sixpence and threepence, are much harder to detect as the can be really iffy signals.
Don't tell Rocket I said it but he has mastered the Deus on small silvers. ;) He digs more of them than anyone else in our area no matter what detector they use. Often there are 3 or 4 of us on the same site with different detectors. I am keen to get back to this site and compare my CTX signals with what Rocket can detect with the Dues. I reckon he will win the day. It may be my limited experience with the CTX but I am digging the most IFFY of signals.

That's still great going with the big coil RJ , you might find that the more you use the ctx the less difference there is between both detectors , although I have had no experience with the deus. Did you run the ctx hot to get down as deep as you did (sensitivity 30) or did you use auto rod ?

Danny13 said:
That's still great going with the big coil RJ , you might find that the more you use the ctx the less difference there is between both detectors , although I have had no experience with the deus. Did you run the ctx hot to get down as deep as you did (sensitivity 30) or did you use auto rod ?

I admit that I have much less experience with the CTX than my other detectors.. Last week when we met up with Heatho, his knowledge of the CTX showed me just how little I know about it. That's the trouble with using multiple detectors.... While I am learning a new one, those who stick with one forge ahead. A perfect example is myself and Rocket. We both got our Dues at the same time. I have a couple of years detecting experience over him which was obvious in the early days. Then I got the CTX and while I was learning it, Rocket continued to master the Deus. He is much better with it than I am.

I guess that proves the point that it's not so much which detector you use but how much you understand it. :)

Very true words there Rod, it's probably the reason why I still haven't bought a Deus or AT Gold as I reckon I'm still learning the CTX as well, using just one detector all the time certainly does have it's benefits. I'll get something different soon though, probably a Deus.

I reckon it would be worth your while to have another few hunts at that site with the standard coil and the 10x5 as well, different coils can really make a big difference with the CTX.

Different settings can open things up too, for instance if running in the "low trash" target separation try "high trash" with "fast" switched on, or vice versa if already running those settings, "ground coin" is an interesting setting too.

Also if targets are really scratchy and deep then changing the audio setting to "long" can really help isolate deep and difficult to hear targets, on the beach I'm starting to use "long" a lot more often.

I reckon you've got a good handle on the CTX mate even if it's a love-hate relationship, lol.

Thanks for the tips Heath. I don't "love-hate" the CTX. I just pay out on it because so many rabid fans carry on that it is miles ahead of anything else. :p As we have said... it's more about understanding which ever detector you use.

Latest posts