Pumps for a Highbanker - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same as,
Can not beat it for level to small rise but 20 meters up I think it would struggle. :)
I have a project on the go about to be put up in DIY.
Stay Tuned. :cool:

Twapster said:
Ive had good success with the Thornado 2.5hp, got mine for under $200 and rated 200lpm I think

I will put up a pic tomorrow for you.
Just look for a topic by me for a pump. :) :)
Marvelous what you can do for nix if you put your mind to it. LOL

TheFossickingKid said:
Twapster said:
Ive had good success with the Thornado 2.5hp, got mine for under $200 and rated 200lpm I think
I just looked this up on the internet and this one looks pretty good. Thanks twapster.

No probs FK, there are numerous copies/ similar pumps at the "cheap level", ive had no dramas with this one so far if u cant afford the Honda version and don't mind something slightly heavier. Lets face it most of us only use highbankers less than once every couple of months so paying several hundred for the better one is out of the question if we can get by with a cheapie. So far this cheapie has served me well, just make sure u change the oil very regularly!!!! A little tlc goes a long way with small engines.

I have the Ozito 2 stroke pump. With feedwater at pump level and a 20 metre 1" layflat hose with 1m head it is struggling to push more than 80L/min which is a hell of a lot less than the 183L/min they claim.

most claims made for pumping rates on pumps are a little bit "higher than claimed"

some people cant afford a honda pump so they have to try and get the next best thing for their money

i looked at alot of the small budget pumps and while they claim to give 200 litres/min thats on full revs at zero head height so they will probably only do 80 litres @ 10 metres head.

You can buy a cheap rato or thornado if you will always be working next to the water , but as soon as you set up higher above water level then you will have problems.

If youre lucky you might find a second hand honda pump for the same price as a new chinese one , and they will pump better

I saw Slowflow's Rato pump & was impressed. I know it was at river level but at idle or a tad above it gave more than enough water to the highbanker.

Keep your eye out at the tip, scrap yard etc. for a 5hp Honda pump. There's heaps around(most farmers/property owners have them & many don't bother getting them fixed if in need of repair), Even better, ask the scrap yard to keep an eye out for you.
$25-$50 & it's yours.

I picked one from roadside hard rubbish - the carburetor was badly corroded & the pump impeller was clogged with dry mud.
A clean out & $30 for a chinese eBay carburetor & she goes great!

If you want a light/more portable engine, then a 2stroke is the go but you'll need to put up with the noise.

aushunter said:
I find in certain situations that I either use one or the other.
if I can get close to the creek to wash pre classified material I will use the 2000gph bilde from a 12v 100amp battery, used for 6 hrs straight and had no worries at all.
The Honda WX15 is the ducks nuts for a standard banker and can push 30m head with pressure to break up the material.
By the way I was talking to a elderly neighbour this evening and we got talking gold. About a year ago I tested the bildge on the deep cycle and left it to run while I was out and Arn (the neighbour) was having a bit of a walk by my house and noticed the banker running nicely, he also said he noticed a five foot brown snake taking a interest in the cascading water from the sluice, now this was in the middle of summer and it sorta freaked me out a bit.
He reckons it was interested in the water as browns usually love the water. the next door neighbour confirmed this as a big brown was seen around about the same time.
But back to the subject, both are pretty good for the right application.
Cheers
Brad....

hey mate how WIDE is your high banker to use the 2000gph bilge, as i am going down the bilge road i wanna be quite noise does my head in.
already got the battery in my caravan no drama pulling it out!!

just need a width, i will be using a expanded mesh and have 10mm high rifles with the ribbed carpet underneath, and is around 1m long with a slick strip of about
400 under the feeder/shaker box

I think i would be trying 6" max width, i tried 1 of those cheap 2000gph pumps on the sluice below but to get it working it was at an extreme angle. This sluice is 8" wide. So i guess i would try 5" - 6" wide.
1424041854_rsz_2015-02-04_082423.jpg

Cracka

Yep GOlddigg@, to many hoses. Have 2 going into the end of the sluice and 2 going to spray bars. After talking to a few people at Oallen Ford im modifying it so there is no flow into the end only water coming in through the spray bars. That means only 2 hoses. Tried to make them a bit flexible so i can easily adjust height up or down. They used to be fixed plumbing.
This is how it use to be (fixed plumbing)
1424153343_rsz_2014-05-17_150440.jpg

And this is how it is now (Flexible)
1424153405_rsz_2015-02-04_082436.jpg

Now all i gotta do is get rid of the inside 2 hoses and see how she goes.

Cracka

Latest posts