Pumps for a Highbanker - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G0lddigg@ said:
That's a ripper pump setup mate the gx160 runs all day on a tank mate good luck with your next mission

thanks mate, all day on 1 tank sounds sweet :cool:

Pete the Pan said:
Hi 20xwater

I just bought the Honda Wx15 and I'm hoping to test it out on the Walbanker today .

By your diemensions its about 30% smaller than the Walbanker . So my questions then : Is yours to do high volume ? : Is the plan to put much clay through the highbanker ?

From an economical point of view ( I plan on eventualy building a few different sizes of bankers ) Can the Honda be dialed down to reduce flow ?

Wals had his for 10 years now and swears by it , so thats about $75 per year , very light ,easy to carry and pumps out 240 litres per minute .

Your more than welcome to come and see my Honda working , it may help you in your decision , I live out at Blue Mountain Heights (before Highfields)

Pete

as far as volume of material I want to put through it goes I have to play this by ear, ive got to come up with a plan of attack for both in the creek and out in the clay. for the creek im thinking I might try de-rocking a section 1 day and sluicing the next but im worried about the gold dropping deeper as I do this?...for the clay im thinking of using an 800 watt 240v petrol generator to power a drill with a mixing paddle to soften and slurry the clay in buckets. Im not sure if the sprays of the highbanker will break it up enough. its pretty hard clay straight out of the ground and I really have to mash it hard by hand in a classifier ey. another way might be to fill buckets and soak them in water for how ever long it takes. sounds like a slow process but I will work things out 1 way or another. suggestions welcome? :cool:

Be sure to check your tailing pile for lost nuggets... :eek:
Theres a few things in that sluice that you don't see on many others, be interesting to see your results.
Reeko

Reeks said:
Be sure to check your tailing pile for lost nuggets... :eek:
Theres a few things in that sluice that you don't see on many others, be interesting to see your results.
Reeko

hi reeko, I don't expect nuggets as im targeting fine gold but I would like to know in detail what you are trying to say about things you don't see on other sluices?

scott :cool:

My spray bars chuck stuff everywhere in heavy clay, had to put a sheet of rubber over the top or take a shower. You may be able to keep the hopper reasonably flat & eat the clay away with that pump/spray bar combo. looks like a winner.

20xwater said:
Pete the Pan said:
Hi 20xwater

I just bought the Honda Wx15 and I'm hoping to test it out on the Walbanker today .

By your diemensions its about 30% smaller than the Walbanker . So my questions then : Is yours to do high volume ? : Is the plan to put much clay through the highbanker ?

From an economical point of view ( I plan on eventualy building a few different sizes of bankers ) Can the Honda be dialed down to reduce flow ?

Wals had his for 10 years now and swears by it , so thats about $75 per year , very light ,easy to carry and pumps out 240 litres per minute .

Your more than welcome to come and see my Honda working , it may help you in your decision , I live out at Blue Mountain Heights (before Highfields)

Pete

as far as volume of material I want to put through it goes I have to play this by ear, ive got to come up with a plan of attack for both in the creek and out in the clay. for the creek im thinking I might try de-rocking a section 1 day and sluicing the next but im worried about the gold dropping deeper as I do this?...for the clay im thinking of using an 800 watt 240v petrol generator to power a drill with a mixing paddle to soften and slurry the clay in buckets. Im not sure if the sprays of the highbanker will break it up enough. its pretty hard clay straight out of the ground and I really have to mash it hard by hand in a classifier ey. another way might be to fill buckets and soak them in water for how ever long it takes. sounds like a slow process but I will work things out 1 way or another. suggestions welcome? :cool:

looking at your setup mate i would say your classifier (punch plate) is removable get yourself a piece of fine expanded steel like the stuff i use n my sluices and run it backwards on the bottom of your hopper tray. It will hold the clay whilst the water pressure does its thing, yes it will hold gold but you build it to be removable.
Another set-up I used to run which might work for you just as easy is put some backed moss on top of half of your classifier and again expanded mesh on top of it backwards then you put your clay on there and scrub into it. works really well the water pressure does the rest, easily removed and ruined when and if it clogs up.

If you have trouble finding fine expanded you can use bug grill from supercheapauto for about $30 1500 x 200 mm it works well but doesn't last as long as the steel. I might even have a square off cut for you out back.
aside from that everything you said is what I do if i'm panning, i.e. drill with modified paint mixer and bucker and sometimes leaving buckets of mud hiding in the bush :)

Got to wash those clays, couple of suggestions, make a classifier bucket (agman put up a post in diy) and fill about half full, the longer its sat soaking the better, then work the bucket vertically up and down (tough work) and most of it should work its way through. Some swirling with the hands is somdtimes needed. Breaking it up into a slurry with gravels is good but giving it another run in clean water again is better than putting it straight in, those little sticky balls that are still the same size as yoir classification are likd velcro, they will roll through sometimes picking the gold back up. The other option you have is pick up a plastic tub with a solid sidewall and if it doesn't have holes in it drill some and set up a solid tutor box in your banker so it can only exit as it breaks down, like a mini puddler arrangement. Well worth it if your material is clay like to build a solid one. I've used a waste paper basket to from the cheap shop made of mesh and sprayed a strong flow into its sides, just another thought. I'll put a pic up of the box i have described because if your like me classifying clays all day can get tiresome pretty darn quick

1397169706_img_20140411_083828.jpg

Pic with both, hope that helps.

G0lddigg@ said:
20xwater said:
Pete the Pan said:
Hi 20xwater

Pete

looking at your setup mate i would say your classifier (punch plate) is removable get yourself a piece of fine expanded steel like the stuff i use n my sluices and run it backwards on the bottom of your hopper tray. It will hold the clay whilst the water pressure does its thing, yes it will hold gold but you build it to be removable.
Another set-up I used to run which might work for you just as easy is put some backed moss on top of half of your classifier and again expanded mesh on top of it backwards then you put your clay on there and scrub into it. works really well the water pressure does the rest, easily removed and ruined when and if it clogs up.

If you have trouble finding fine expanded you can use bug grill from supercheapauto for about $30 1500 x 200 mm it works well but doesn't last as long as the steel. I might even have a square off cut for you out back.
aside from that everything you said is what I do if i'm panning, i.e. drill with modified paint mixer and bucker and sometimes leaving buckets of mud hiding in the bush :)

thank you for every word mate...locked in memory :cool:

Hi All,

Sorry if this topic has been flogged to death previously.

I have built a highbanker fairly close to the size of the Wal banker and am now in the process of looking for a suitable pump for it. Funds are limited until I can start finding more gold to upgrade my gear. I have seen the Thornado brand pumps on ebay and I think I will end up getting one the problem is they offer a 1' and 1.5' pump and am unsure what one to get.

I understand Wal says to reduce from 1.5' down to 1' to increase water pressure, does this mean his little Honda pump is a 1.5' to start with? If this is the case I will get the 1.5' and reduce accordingly.The price for both pumps is the same and they have free shipping so for $209 delivered its pretty good. I know the quality is not there but thats all I can afford at the moment.

Thanks for any and all advice.
Cheers,

Matt

Matt 1.5 is the size which means the pump won't run as hard, lasts longer and is quieter. The reduction is to get a harsher spray action.

Remember to check the oil, change it after a short run, buy a spare plug as those fitted have been a problem.

Barry

I have a 2.5 HP 1.5 inch pump and it runs my HB really well.

Stayed with 1.5 inch as my other pump is a 6.5 HP but at 30kgs is not easily portable but all the existing hoses and cam locks will fit both.

For $200 you cant go wrong, just use quality oil, change it after run in and check regularly.

I have bought a Thornado pump and am waiting for it to be delivered today. :) :)
I have reduced my spray bar down to 1" 1/4 as that was the only size that was in stock but will go down depending on how well all this works.
I also fitted a brass foot valve.
This afternoon I am going to set it up running in a large plastic drum I have and will post the results for all to see.
Getting ready for this weekends onslaught. LOL

Thanks guys, 1.5' it is then.

What is the foot valve used for?

Would like to hear how your pump goes Tathradj.

Cheers,
Matt

Ive got the 1.5 Thornado, so far so good extremelt chuffed with the performance/price....I got mine when they were selling at $189 so might be worth emailing him and getting an "off ebay price".

I do however use a two tiered banker which speeds the water flow a little. I think Wal says about 200lpm is whats required and thats exactly what this pump is. Good budget pump and has not skipped a beat yet with a couple of oil changes as shes been run in.

I am now however considering the smaller pump and making an even more portable set up for those really challenging hikes. I think they are about 7kg. The problem may be the hose......is 1 inch lay flay readily available im not sure.

Ive had no need to reduce. 1.5 inch on the 2.5hp model is good. Priming, pour water in the top and then I actually bucket water into the layflat until the hose is all fat, connect it to the banker and start her going. Takes about 10-20 seconds to start spraying and have had to bleed the end of the spray bar on occasion to get her fired up. After than shell pump all day first start.

Good luck with it.

Absolutley Stoked. :) :) :)
Just fired her up in the front yard, got a few funny looks from the neighbours. PMSL
Just keep the kinks out of the layflat and for such an economy pump, It does well.
I will post a video in a new topic shortly.
Oh, The pump is not to bad on the ear either. Maybe different in the bush but all up,
A bloody ripper. (Till something goes wrong LOL)
Even though the pump has a rubber valve type in it I prefer a foot valve on the inlet.
What a foot valve is for it stops the water from draining back. After you have primed every thing up
you do not have the hassle of doing it every time you start up.
It goes on the suction hose that you drop in the water to pump from.

Latest posts