Pumps for a Highbanker - information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I know its been asked over and over :)

Im just having troubles deciding....

Just talking bout 2 cheap ones off ebay..

Option 1 : 2 inch / 26kg / 600l/min

Option 2 : 1.5 inch / 16kg / 200l/min

(Running a walbanker)

Option 1 is heavy but I guess id make some king of wheels/removalist trolley. Low revs. But heavey

Option 2 is light and easy to move around. But only worry is noise and always at high revs..

Hard choice....

Can anyone convince me on one?

I have a 26kg 2 inch 5.5hp of ebay and I love it, reduced it down to 1.5" and have ran it for a year with zero issues. Still starts first or 2nd pull every time. Runs on low revs easily. the only issue i ever had was getting suction when I first had it with the 2" inlet, never been an issue since I reduced it. Its a balanced weight so its surprisingly easy to carry, i can do it one handed for 50-100m pretty easy. Although the fuel cap is rubbish on mine but I keep forgetting to get a newie. Good fuel economy too. All depends on how far you need to carry it, One advantage is they have a 26m head and you can pump long distances. Cant lose either way. Cheers Balx

which ones ?

there are some chinese ones that are moderately reasonable and others that are the shittiest shit on earth

keep in mind that some chinese factories PURCHASE manufacturing rights from honda for old engine designs and manufacture their version , then other chinese companies come along and do fake copies of those , and others come along and make fakes copied off the fake copies . . .

Im all for the cheap chinese ones just for the price. Id be able to fix it no worries id it does break and still be cheaper than a real honda which I cant afford.
When I retire ill have some money to buy a decent one lol...

I was only worried about the weight of a big one but sounds like its not too bad and even with a trolly or some kind on wheels on the frame (small kids bike wheels?)..

I guess you never know how far you may have to move the water too...

Balx - did you just reduce the inlet or the out aswell?

A Honda wx 15 should be heaps of water, if it's high pressure your after you can bolt on a p 90 pump from keen to blast that clay. I personally wouldn't go any bigger especially if your hiking in a fair ways. Cheers

farmeroz said:
Im all for the cheap chinese ones just for the price. Id be able to fix it no worries id it does break and still be cheaper than a real honda which I cant afford.
When I retire ill have some money to buy a decent one lol...

I was only worried about the weight of a big one but sounds like its not too bad and even with a trolly or some kind on wheels on the frame (small kids bike wheels?)..

I guess you never know how far you may have to move the water too...

Balx - did you just reduce the inlet or the out aswell?
Yeah I reduced both, i got mine for $100 delivered off ebay. i am the same i could never outlay the money for a honda it's just too much. But I have heard so many blokes who say the Chinese ones a rubbish yet none of them have ever owned one or actually seen one break down, I would be happy to buy one for $100 every second year and I would still feel they are worth it. Mine is still going strong. As long as you change the oil and look after them they are good. If you have the cash get the best money can buy, if not (like me) they are great.

I got the Honda GXH50, think it comes in around 9kg, OODLES of Volume and more head then u can poke a stick at.If or when your going into country like this prospecting....
1391850896_ruff2.jpg

1391851016_ruff.jpg

Your gonna have to carry it, and your gonna be wanting it light as possible.
Just my HP

Just try and start with the end in mind.a little one can be carried in a long way, i love my little pump (yep just an import special) when I'm in a tight area or a new one, one handed you can walk for a very reasonable distance to get the best spots, (good sharp bends deep holes, just that wee bit further along that's just p perfect). I run a two tier banker so i just increase the angle between the boxes for the little pump. If you look after a pump with even a half decent build quality it will last. Remember the gmc tools? Still got a 9 inch grinder, an 850w generator, and hammer drill, all working fine, because they get looked after long after the guy up the road sent his to the scrap heap. 9 years out of that grinder, has a special place in my heart. Anyway, if most of your pumping is on fairly flat sort of country then the bigger one will be your best bet, letting it chug away will serve you more economically in the long run die to extended pump life, but keep in mind if you're on a budget that bigger pump equals higher cost for fittings, hoses etc, or put another way, you probably end up with better quality accessories for the same price with the smaller one. Hope this helps.

Btw, that little pump will run my banker and its bigger than a walbanker (40x83 cm times two boxes) successfully, so dont be put off by the lower rate, its only the head you should be concerned with. Gravity and incline with good mats will still give a brilliant result.

Goldtarget is yours a little 2 stroke one about 200l/min? Not that bad with noise?

Thank you all for making the decision harder hahaha...

Most the time im swaying for the bigger one , but now goldtargets got me thinking again. I keep going in circles..

Worst part is iv got the oportunity to get one now and wont be much of another chance so under the pump so to speak to make a decision....

Four stroke. i don't like two stroke, fiddly mixes, and running at high revs can really upset spark issues, fouling of the plug etc. is far more likely to give you trouble.If that's your options four or two id take the four, everyday extended use its really a must in my opinion. I think of it like trail bikes, long after the two strokes are put away when it gets too warm I'll still be out on my four. I guess what i was angling at was to get you to think what the application for your pump would be, where you would use it, that will determine what suits best, but as i say, four stroke trumps a two, as id like to see it last for you.my little four is pretty quiet, side by side with a bigger one you'd be hard pressed to see a difference between it and a larger one, I've never once thought it was particularly loud by any stretch. I bought it on site though, it took me a while to find one i was happy with, bit harder to judge over the internet, i paid more for it but i like the idea of knowing the name of the person who sold it to me, and the feel of the machine beforehand for new equipment though, i guess its from running my business, cheap and convenient isn't always better so to speak. Mines a little unbranded millers falls if it helps any, was about $20 dearer than an equivalent on ebay but the seller on ebay is no longer around. Good luck

Lets not go into 2t or 4t concerning bikes :p im a die haed 2stroke bike fan, oil and spark plugs are not a hassle if you know what your looking at.

I see your points tho :)

I cant afford one of the light weight 4strokes tho. All I can afford is the cheap light 2stroke ones..

Decisions not getting any easier but love the input thanks :)

farmeroz said:
Ok I know its been asked over and over :)

Im just having troubles deciding....

Just talking bout 2 cheap ones off ebay..

Option 1 : 2 inch / 26kg / 600l/min

Option 2 : 1.5 inch / 16kg / 200l/min

(Running a walbanker)

Option 1 is heavy but I guess id make some king of wheels/removalist trolley. Low revs. But heavey

Option 2 is light and easy to move around. But only worry is noise and always at high revs..

Hard choice....

Can anyone convince me on one?

If it was me mate I'd be going the 1.5 inch as with 200l/m you'll be fine with that banker, and get to a lot more productive locations. Like Balx said....look after your pump and change the oil every season and the pump should give you many years of service.

By going lighter and getting into better locations your gold tally will be greater, and the day of letting the gold pay for the equipment will arrive sooner. ;)

Cheers Wal.

Bought a new highbanker today and I need advice on the right pump for it, 1.5 inch/40mm intake, sluice box dimensions are 1000mm x 330mm and it needs 50-60mm of depth...a 5.5hp was suggested?

cheers scott :cool:

Hi 20xwater

I just bought the Honda Wx15 and I'm hoping to test it out on the Walbanker today .

By your diemensions its about 30% smaller than the Walbanker . So my questions then : Is yours to do high volume ? : Is the plan to put much clay through the highbanker ?

From an economical point of view ( I plan on eventualy building a few different sizes of bankers ) Can the Honda be dialed down to reduce flow ?

Wals had his for 10 years now and swears by it , so thats about $75 per year , very light ,easy to carry and pumps out 240 litres per minute .

Your more than welcome to come and see my Honda working , it may help you in your decision , I live out at Blue Mountain Heights (before Highfields)

Pete

I picked up a Honda WX15 for my Walbanker and run it between quarter and just under half throttle. Obviously the Walbanker requires more water flow than a lot of the smaller / traditional style units but I find the WX15 lives up to the task with no problems at all, even just over quarter throttle the water pressure is quite decent. One thing to keep in mind though is like Wal, I'm using a 1.5" to 1" reducer at the spray bar to increase water pressure. That might be something worth considering with your unit, but it will depend on the overall configuration.

thanks heaps for your input on this already fella's....im mainly going to be running semi-clean creek material but I do have another little spot that's clay..??? :cool:

1397084270_img_8430_800x533.jpg

1397084304_img_8431_533x800.jpg

went to town on the pump hunt and came home with this Honda GX 160 5.5hp Davey fire fighter...brand spankin set up...I hope ive made the right choice? :cool:

1397120635_img_8433_800x533.jpg

Latest posts