Prospecting / Miners pick information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Nugget
Good to hear the forum is going ok
The weight of these picks is about 1 kg.
a donation either way is fine
Lets see if there is any interest first.
Cheers
Misty
Photos as promised
1407201267_gold_pick_002.jpg
1407201251_gold_pick_001.jpg
1407201290_gold_pick_003.jpg

Over twenty replies to my question with some great info and advice, thanks guys, this is a great forum. :)

MJB said:
nice work....I'm still trying to find a good supply of old plough discs so I can make my own too
Let me know if your in the area mate. Pulled a few dozen brand newies aside back in the scrap yard days, bloody amazing what people will bring in. Got them for a disc plough but old mate sold the tractor before favours could be swapped (wanted some fire breaks) and the Centre is too small for the old man's one. Cost me a fifty if I remember rightly I've built a few picks, a couple of disks and you'll pass from this lifetime before getting through them. Send word next time you're in the vicinity of bendigo.

Goldtarget said:
MJB said:
nice work....I'm still trying to find a good supply of old plough discs so I can make my own too
Let me know if your in the area mate. Pulled a few dozen brand newies aside back in the scrap yard days, bloody amazing what people will bring in. Got them for a disc plough but old mate sold the tractor before favours could be swapped (wanted some fire breaks) and the Centre is too small for the old man's one. Cost me a fifty if I remember rightly I've built a few picks, a couple of disks and you'll pass from this lifetime before getting through them. Send word next time you're in the vicinity of bendigo.

Thanks GoldTarget,

If my plans go rightly I may be heading up to Beechworth/Yackandandah for a fossick and so will head through Bendigo on the way up.

Cheers mate

Cheers thanks all.

Its been made out of a duragal flat bar about 240mm long and at the wing end 100mm wide, the handle is about 300mm long.
Its fairly heavy but i haven't weighed it and you get a good hit when holding the handle low and the head is heavy enough that if you "choke" it like sometimes when you use a hammer it still makes a fair dent in the ground.

I was going to put a hardwood handle on it like some of the small pickaxes have but the steel tube works, just slippery till i wrap some tape on it

Forget plough disc's they are highly sort after for heaps of projects.

Use old leaf springs they will out last most prospectors.
As a side note put a wooden handle on it steel handles transfer vibration into your forearm which will hurt you over time.

very nice effort!! bit heavy i would suggest for small pick due to the handle but if you got hold of some 4130 Chromoly that might lighten it up a bit.... i love the head of it

Wintersnake said:
Forget plough disc's they are highly sort after for heaps of projects.

Use old leaf springs they will out last most prospectors.
As a side note put a wooden handle on it steel handles transfer vibration into your forearm which will hurt you over time.

I'm pretty sure that's what CC and Walco picks are made from. It has the curve already in it and is high tensile. Leaf springs would work though but try putting a nice curve in those.

One plough disc will last me a while anyway :8

good work peterjfsh

Latest posts