Prospecting / Miners pick information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you buy one get the next size up that what you think you need

I have the CC, has a 600mm long handle and the pick head is 315mm long. I wish I'd gone larger as when you are digging holes 18" deep its bloody hard work, still hard work with a bigger pick but the larger head will make it easier to scrape the dirt out of the hole.

I have seen a "Pelican Pick", it has the usual fossicking pick pointy bit but a slight bowl in the wide edge of the wedge, Cyclon tools make them, you can get them for about 60 special order from your hardware of choice. I was told by one who knows, if you do get one. get the tip hardened by a boiler maker so it does not wear down so quick.

Or if you can do it yourself.

I would be buying one if I detected.

Cheers, Tone

Heading out bendigo way to test out the at gold can anyone recommend a brand/type of pick and shop in the area and a rough price?
Cheers,
Paul

Give Brad from Aussie Detecting a call 0400291116 OR 0354428642, he stocks CC Picks which many consider to be the bees knees. Approximate price $100 - $200 depending on model.

If you want a small but handy pick, you cannot go past a Hart pick from bunnings for about $35, they are American made and at that price you can afford to get a belt holder and rare earth magnet and fuel for your trip as we'll. :cool:
1388647530_image.jpg

Hi Klinger

check out this thread https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2893 for heaps of opinions (including mine) > At the moment i got my eye on a short handle HART pick - can't make up my mind which one of the three variants to settle on - they're lighter than my ol' faithful cast iron pick and although the weight is an advantage in certain situations my shoulder would benefit from a lighter tool.

casper

I have the HART pick as well. I haven't been able to break the handle on it ...... yet. I'm afraid I'm a bit hard on them.

Cliff

Don t use the small hart stuff, but I do on the full size, can vouch for the quality they do last

Ok this has probable been covered but i couldn't find it !

what size pick does everyone use when detecting ?

I need a new one, any suggestions ?

For general stuff I use the CC pick 'Prospector' - see link. http://www.ccpicks.com.au/html/products.html

Aussie made and as hard as nails. Great for the hard ground we have to dig through, plus a wooden handle. Get it resharpened on the off season (January usually). I don't ever use garden tools - complete waste of time and money: 'Poor man pays twice'. They are a bigger pick and you really need to sling them over your shoulder. Further away from the coil and a good counter balance for the detector. The all metal handle picks, whilst sound OK - cart one around on a hot day and see how quick the handle gets hot.

Have the chisel point one myself but thought I might add one of these to my toolkit for raking out the larger stones when I go to GG next.

1392719052_image.jpg

Latest posts