Prospecting in Grattai NSW

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Has anyone done any prospecting in Grattai Prospect North of Windeyer NSW. Thinking of going there in a couple of weeks

hllo norm,we were in a club that had been visiting a property up there from the late 80s early 90s through to 4 years ago when it changed hands and new owners wouldn't let the club or others to continue prospecting. we were there ourselves every easter for around 7years and in that time saw plenty of gold picked up to 10g but there were people in the club that had taken and seen nuggets to 10 oz in the earlier years. one day in the creek the mrs and I broke up a shale bank for 4g in flake and rattlers through the pan. was a mixture of gold there, mostly alluvial but still many nuggets rough as, that hadn't travelled far at all.
Adjoining properties definitely had gold as well but wouldn't let you on even though club members were covered by liability insurance.
Theres some great spots up there ,all no go places and if you study the valley from a bit of height you can see a lot of the old alluvial tracks where the vegetation is more lush and greener, wouldnt you love to get a detector over these areas.
If you can get on there anywhere and can sight up any signs of wash gravel in the paddocks it would be worth running a machine over.
With respect to the owners probably shouldn't say which property it was.
good luck wth it ,phill

I know its an old post but did you ever get out to Grattai Norm?
I haven't had much luck out there in the past using Whites GMT, SD2200D or GPX5000. I had taken the SDC out there when I first got it to give it a test as its so close to town but didn't get anything that day either.
Only had a few hours up my sleeve yesterday & decided to give it another try with the SDC to cut down on travel time. Got a few little ones there:
1429250400_14291686496610.jpg

Total weight was only 1 gram but not a bad few hours & I'll head back there again now especially when short on time.
Previously I had been trying around the diggings which are very trashy but the majority of these come from a washed out area following gravels (like what Phill suggested) off the diggings.
Again as Phill suggested Private property out there would be worthwhile getting access too. The publicly accessible area is very trashy in spots but it could still be hiding some nice ones for anyone willing to put in the time. Also the diggings are fairly well overgrown & thick with leaf litter etc. so with some time/effort could also be rewarding. I'll be packing a rake next trip out - actually I should have one on every trip shouldn't I Shauno :lol:

Latest posts