Practice, practice, practice

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having had my detector only three days I decided I needed to do some practice after a short 1/2hr beach stint that had me chasing my tail a bit and another 1/2 session along a roadside verge where there is little foot traffic and I only expected to collect trash, which I did.
So today I set up in my yard a straight line test using my brick retaining wall as a guide, every three bricks long and out about two feet I placed an item in the following order, nail, bolt, nut, locket, 5c, us dime, 10c, 20c, 50c, US dollar, $1, $2, gold bracelet, platinum eternity ring.
I the spent the next hour in coin and treasure mode on my exterra 705 setting the noise cancelling mode first, followed by ground balance, threshold and sensitivity, volume and tones and proceeded to swing along the line carefully taking note of the differing tones, I the set about altering the sensitive and threshold and repeating the procedure, then I started to use the discrimination mode after running in all metal mode first up. It was interesting to see it completely ignore some items in the different modes.
Next up I ran in prospecting mode, carefully listening for the variations in pitch as the detector passed over the various items.
All this was done with the targets sitting up on the grass, clearly visible.
Lastly I got my wife and daughter to spread all the decimal currency coins below grass level in an area approx 18m sq. without me knowing where they were. I then reset the noise cancelling mode, ground balance etc, put the unit in all metal mode and set about sweeping the ground and I'm pleased to say I found all the coins within twenty minutes and even managed on a few occasions to evaluate trash signals.
I know I am still nowhere near proficient but I do believe it helped considerably with familiarising me with my detector.

too many people go out and dig holes; without ever testing at home.

Get a couple of coir type mats or other like material and put coins in / under and different depths.. Get the kids to do it, but give them a bottle top and ring pull as well.

And then practice pinpointing and when you think you have the item targeted. Stick a sharp pin down.... Then check to see how far off you are.

I did this for a few weeks and also tested my pinpointer. Now I can target and recover an item and not have to dig a stupid big hole,,,

AngerManagement said:
too many people go out and dig holes; without ever testing at home.

Get a couple of coir type mats or other like material and put coins in / under and different depths.. Get the kids to do it, but give them a bottle top and ring pull as well.

And then practice pinpointing and when you think you have the item targeted. Stick a sharp pin down.... Then check to see how far off you are.

I did this for a few weeks and also tested my pinpointer. Now I can target and recover an item and not have to dig a stupid big hole,,,

I like it, will give it a go, thanks for the suggestion :) :) :)

DetectingSA said:
Yeah nice, I'm south-ish of the city in seacombe gardens so not far actually. Maybe we can link up and go for a swing together one day
I,d be happy to get together and have a crack, I know Seacombe Gardens my better half is from Darlington and my kids all went to the high school. :)

Manpa said:
DetectingSA said:
Yeah nice, I'm south-ish of the city in seacombe gardens so not far actually. Maybe we can link up and go for a swing together one day
I,d be happy to get together and have a crack, I know Seacombe Gardens my better half is from Darlington and my kids all went to the high school. :)

Oh yeah nice one, if I can get my rostered day off Friday I'm going to go an area in Kensington I've had my eye on. Probably be a 9am/10am - 5pm situation, welcome to pop down and say hello if that suits. I'll let ya know if you're interested

I got the o.k for Friday off :Y:

This is where I'm going, it's Kensington oval just off the parade. I'm not going to touch the oval but the unkept areas around it is where I'm going to hit, circled in red is don bradmans old house :Y:

1515536051_img_3333.jpg

I'll be there from 10am onwards, if you want to pop down you're more than welcome. See what two newbies can find :p
It has history dating back to around 1840 so there's some potential

Latest posts