Pin Pointer for Gold

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

Just wondering whats out there in the way of Pin Pointers for Gold Detecting?.
Obviously needs to be very sensitive to tiny specks of gold.
Dose anyone use one?.
And what the best?.
Or nothing worthy of complementing a gold detector just yet?.

Cheers

If you're just using it for sub gram gold I don't think it's worth it. I've stopped using mine and leave it in the car. If it's sub .5g you have to be within a few cm at best with my pro find 25, I've just gotten better at using the coil to pin point and don't need it.
If it's over a gram you get a decent signal and shouldn't really lose the target anyway.

The only time I wish I had it with me is when I drop the target into grass and I have a good idea where it is already but it's a pain to retrieve.

We have a Garrett but it rarely comes out. It's useless on very small gold and the chances of finding a big nugget are slim. We'll sometimes go and get the Whites GMT with the little coil to poke down the hole if the target is deep. It has a much better detection depth and is more likely to detect a small target.

Pin pointers are okay for big gold in a big deep hole when your coil overloads and it's hard to isolate.
Apart from that I find it's far quicker to locate a nugget with your coil than a pin pointer, especially tiny nuggets.

Cheers guys yes sub grams I shouldve mentioned that.
I wish they were bigger but thats not the case unfortunately.

Thanks again

One of these and a small plastic scoop

1518773387_image.jpg

I ran into a fella with an MD20 a few years ago and I must say I was impressed. The perfect tool if your chasing wet gold (fine) or looking for black sand as an indicator. I just don't have the spare cash to get one like most things, I will one day with out a doubt.

Bloody spell check again.

Latest posts