permit to detect on gold coast beach

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi i haven't been detecting on the gold coast beach's for about 2 years i was at a barbecue yesterday and told by a guy there i need a pemit to use a detector on the beach now. Any body on the gold coast know if this is right?

Many years ago my mother used to pick up rubbish on Balmoral Beach , Sydney . A woman came along and said , very seriously , "why are you doing that ? You are doing a council worker out of a job ! "

Another woman came along and complained to me about digging holes in the sand whilst detecting !

Digging holes and leaving them I can understand..... Been plenty of broken ankles from 'holes' left by thoughtless people....

Surfers beach, Broadbeach and a few others has a Tractor and Mechanical Sieve going over it every day, so afternoons are the best times..

LW....

I understand the refill your holes when detecting part. But really? Its a beach my kids dig holes bigger than the average detectorist and build mountains a meter high. Yet no one complains when they are left. Then next kid comes along and just keeps making them bigger. Some people just have nothing better to do.

I am never going to apply for a permit to detect on a beach, maritime law! This is not council or state government property.

I think the maritime law applies up to the high water mark ??? Council cleans the beach, us mug rate payers have to pay them !

I detected the beach on the Goldie a couple of years ago and the sweeper was on the beach at the time and neither he or anyone else had a problem with me doing so.Take the rubbish and fill holes and you shouldnt have a problem.Good luck.

G'day

Never heard of permits to detect on the beach, well not here in WA anyway, but same deal as in the bush, fill in your holes and take away any rubbish you unearth and bin it, best advice I can give though is to go very early mornings or at night if the beach has lights or the moon is full, people on the beach can be so annoying and often have something clever to say, like " have you found any mines yet?, my reply was "if you see me sprint past then yes"

cheers

stayyerAU

tyrion said:
I understand the refill your holes when detecting part. But really? Its a beach my kids dig holes bigger than the average detectorist and build mountains a meter high. Yet no one complains when they are left. Then next kid comes along and just keeps making them bigger. Some people just have nothing better to do.

Mate .. just take the rubbish and fill your holes !!
ITS NOT HARD
Right ,wrong or otherwise ,detectorists will be under scrutiny from 'someone'
Do the right thing and help to protect what we have
DONT F**K IT UP FOR EVERYONE ELSE

Sandta said:
tyrion said:

ITS NOT HARD

Mate read the post again. I dont think you understand. Never did i say i dont fill my holes. I simply stated some facts. So ill clarify just for you, i fill my holes and take the rubbish. But the frustration comes from moments like last time i went to the beach. A snotty nosed lady walked up to me and my 6 yo who was enjoying his time finding some small change. " Are you realy that desperate for money?" To which i replied that i was just spending time with my son and cleaning the beach at the same time. The beach looked clean to her though and she still had a problem. After showing her the fishing knife i had just found under the sand and the junkie needle found on the surface that was in the junk bucket she seemed lost for words and turn up the nose and walked away.

But really you should consider reading posts properly

BEFORE YOU CAP SH#T UP AND MAKE A D#CK OF YOURSELF. :Y:

1599534467_oip_4.jpg

tyrion said:
Sandta said:
tyrion said:

ITS NOT HARD

Mate read the post again. I dont think you understand. Never did i say i dont fill my holes. I simply stated some facts. So ill clarify just for you, i fill my holes and take the rubbish. But the frustration comes from moments like last time i went to the beach. A snotty nosed lady walked up to me and my 6 yo who was enjoying his time finding some small change. " Are you realy that desperate for money?" To which i replied that i was just spending time with my son and cleaning the beach at the same time. The beach looked clean to her though and she still had a problem. After showing her the fishing knife i had just found under the sand and the junkie needle found on the surface that was in the junk bucket she seemed lost for words and turn up the nose and walked away.

But really you should consider reading posts properly

BEFORE YOU CAP SH#T UP AND MAKE A D#CK OF YOURSELF. :Y:

Thanks mate but i can read just fine
I may not have interpreted the way you intended
Though as you have just stated , you were targeted by someone who may just be able to F**K IT UP FOR US
so i stand by my post ... for you and everyone else that reads it
If that makes me a dick , so be it :)

Yep,I like my space so give the same courtesy to strangers especially females more than half naked :inlove:

Most people are ignorant about detecting and fair enough,so dont swing your thing too close when people are trying to relax,and people are more stressed than ever.

Be smart 5m minimum is a max distance for me but 10m would be best.