Panning Eldorardo tin

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golddoctor

jason
Reaction score
Ive got the time to pan down the concentrates from eldorardo but the tin drives me and prob every one crazey.does anyone have tips or tricks

I think I read something about putting cloth over magnet so tin picks up and then just take the cloth away and it falls off..??

Golden Tiger said:
Rare Earth Magnet, is the go.

I believe this will pick up the majority of black sands/tin.

Might be totally wrong but black sand normally found (around Ballarat area at least) will not be picked up by a magnet, the tin I suppose probably will.

Good luck hope you managed some colour.
Cheers Tom

Here is what I do.

Put your magnet inside an old film canister or equivalent and then put that inside a re sealable sandwich bag. Run it over your pan so the black sand and tin stick to it. Then open the sandwich bag and turn it inside out the bag now has all the black sand and tin and you detach the magnet easily to dispose of the contents of the bag.

Hope it helps. :)

Cassiterite wont pick up with a magnet. I just pan it down slowly. I was thinking of using one of those blue bowls for that job in the future. I know how you feel, tin is heavy and its hard to separate it from your gold.

Hi mate, I feel your pain, I just wrote a nearly identical post asking the same question...

Roscoe said:
Cassiterite wont pick up with a magnet. I just pan it down slowly. I was thinking of using one of those blue bowls for that job in the future. I know how you feel, tin is heavy and its hard to separate it from your gold.

Yep, spot on. A magnet is generally used to separate the magnetite, chromite out of your tin.

DD

Diggerdude said:
Roscoe said:

Yep, spot on. A magnet is generally used to separate the magnetite, chromite out of your tin.

DD

Spot on, as with the above posts a magnet won't work in this stuff (specifically the Eldorado stuff, as well as some others no doubt). I tried it a couple of times before on my Eldorado cons and I'd be lucky to have maybe 2% stuff that will respond to a magnet.

I've found cleaning up Eldorado cons a lot easier since switching to a pan with a large base such as the Garrett Supersluice, the bigger base really helps when using a wash back style method. Putting a tiny drop of dish washing detergent also helps prevent gold and find black sand from clinging the surface of the water.

not sure if your familiar with the tap and wash method were the gold jumps up your pan whilst you wash your sands backward? bit hard to explain I might try to put up a video at some stage of how i separate my blacksand

Latest posts