Palmer River Qld region information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey all,
I live up the Palmer 10klm north of dogleg crossing, on butchers creek, wife and I went down to the river today to hopefully see the 6 metre swell come down from the highway crossing, missed it by a few hours but the water rose to the highest in many years, magnificent to see up close. I found a plaque on a tree at the bottom of Maytown , it is bent from the water flow, which was a metre above. If anyone is coming for Easter the river should be crossable by then , PM me if you need a report.

Pic 1. To put it all in perspective , in this pic the water is 1.5M
1397384712_img_6371.jpg
deep ( halfway up the windscreen on the jeep ) by the way it did not cross.
1397384260_img_6133.jpg

Pic 2, 3, & 4.
About 1 month ago, 1.2M deep, current too fast to cross, I waited another day before crossing at 1M
1397384771_img_6373.jpg
1397384839_img_6370.jpg

Pic 4 & 5
Today at 2.30pm about 4.5M deep , you can see the debri at the guide posts a few hours earlier it was at 6.5
1397385726_img_6425.jpg

1397385726_img_6431.jpg
M

Tree with plaque at the bottom of Maytown where Butchers creek enters the Palmer, note the 2 trees in the background with bark missing where the high water was.

Yes I love this land, here is one of my favorite pics of me up the Palmer on top of the Conglomerate range looking back on the Palmer Reserve,
1397442241_on_top_of_the_conglomerate_range.jpg
"On top of the world"

Thanks for the pics Hagsy, I was coming up next week but will put it off for a while. You're right about the beauty of the place. I really enjoy spending time up there. Dogleg looks pretty ominous at that depth. Cheers Rick

For dogleg crossing refer to the previous station (Palmer R at Goldfields) this is at at Roadhouse, presently reading 2.5M, this equates to 1.3 real water depth at dogleg,

I crossed borderline safely at .8 in a low 4x4 petrol vehicle,(ML55AMG Mercedes) I did have to tape the doors and tarp the front and remove low air intake.

for a full size 4x4 ( landcruiser, Patrol, hilux) 1M is safe and the inside of your vehicle will stay dry,

any deeper the current is too strong and because the crossing is wide you will get water in your vehicle.

When the chart reads 2.2M or less, good to go at Dog Leg carefully in a full size vehicle..

2.2M = 1M @ Dog Leg Crossing
2.1M = .9M
2.0M = .8M

Great info Hagsy, looks like its going to be a couple of weeks til things settle down up that way then.

Thanks for the update.

Cheers, Tone

G.Day Tone, water level is .6 M so wheel depth, and the local road crew have been down with machinery to move the sand, Highway 1 again !

Latest posts