Out 'n' About With The CTX3030

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice older florin Sandta, seems like bad luck to get a silver in the first 5 minutes of being on a site lately, so not such a bad thing for them to pop up late in the hunt. As they say, better late than never. ;)

This morning i hunted one of my permission sites
Nothing spectacular , but im happy with the toy trucks i dug up :)
There was obviously a lot of cowboy kids running around a some stage ;)
1545485949_img_8720.jpg

A few coins and i think a musket ball
1545485995_img_8721.jpg

2 half silver sixers
1545486066_img_8722.jpg

yep said:
2 half silvers makes one whole silver nice

Well after a bit of a clean up ... im not so sure :8
1545545540_img_8723.jpg

This was the grottiest coin , so soaked in lemon juice , and hey presto ... all bright and shiney
But on closer inspection it appears as though the coin is silver plated
Are all the 50% like this?
1545545765_img_8725.jpg

Different angle , you can see (what appears to be) lamination seperating and the plating bubbling up, above and behind the emu's head
1545546166_img_8727.jpg

I cant remember coming across this before . But i cant remember what i did last week either :(

Interesting sixpence Sandta, might be one of those Chinese repros, can't see it being a lamination error with that sort of oxidation going on under the surface. Most of the imported collection filler coins are copper cored coins with silver plate over the top. The only problem is that your sixpence looks to have been under the ground for a while going by its toning - might need a bit more research. Otherwise a great hunt, looks to have been from a similar era to the finds I am about to post up. :Y:

Once thing I forgot is that it may have been caused by impurities in the metal, as in not a homogeneous mix of metals.

wow that is very strange indeed I never heard or seen such a thing

in your second photo the coin surface looks very strange very uneven and lacking the luster that you would expect

very very unusual

Congratulations.

That is very old looking ring and 9ct :goldnugget:

It looks like it must have a good weight to it as well.

Top find that one :perfect:

TDH.... have to check your local past.... or H in the phone book :Y:
what a beaudy find ! :D

Latest posts