Our first few finds and trips

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to share our first few finds.

These are our first finds using the Go-Find40 on our local beaches in Port Macquarie a couple of weeks back.

We found these the first trip out to Moleton searching for gold, no gold but some small Gem stones that got the wife very enthusiastic :)

This is our first ever Gold collected over 3 trips to the new england area, its not much but at least its something, we spent probably 6hrs in total digging and 12 hours driving over that period lol.

Need less to say we havn't found much but we have found enough to get us very enthusiastic over the whole hobby.

Cheers
Havinago and Co

G'day Havinago, some interesting little gemstones you have there, do you know exactly what they are by any chance? I was thinking Peridot, Garnets, Quartz and Zircons but I'm not too sure now...... They look very nice, would love to know what they are.

Cheers

G'day Heatho, the wife had them looked at by a gemologist, and you got 3 out of 4 right, they were Peridot, Garnets, Quartz and Citrine. When I first got them i thought they were glass lol, but the shades were all different and we were in a fairly remote place so I thought gemstones and fair enough they were, all though be it vary small. Still nice to look at though :)

Cheers Havinago and Co

Thanks for the quick reply, they are very nice to look at I agree, always amazes me all the places in Aus where gems can be found, I never really knew of any in that particular area, would be great if there were some larger ones there.

Well done, they seem very clear with a nice bright colour.

All the best and thanks for sharing pics of your finds.

Heatho, there probably is larger ones there, as i ran everything thing through a 1/4 classifier and never really looked for gems, was searching for gold lol.

Could be a good spot to return to for a serious gem hunt. Awesome that you found them anyway, hopefully you get some better luck on the gold next time too.

Nice bottle of gems :cool:

Those first specs jump out of the pan and hook you really good. :p looking forward to seeing your bottle fill a little bit every time you go out.

Having a go is what the hobby is all about. ;)

Did you take the Go-Find on to the wet sand at all, or just the dry? :)

Wally, yeah hooked real well (gut hooked) and i want to see it fill a lot every time i go out :D (might be able to make a ring in lets say 50yrs :lol: ).

Goldpick the couple of times we've used it we have worked from the dry to the wet horizontal to the water line drawing lanes in the sand as not to go over the same area twice, it does tend to give false signals every now and then in the wet (but not always) but i do have the sensitivity turned right up, although i am by far no means experienced i have found that when you do get a signal even at depth (say 250mm) in the dry it comes out quite strong and there is no mistaking it for something, where as the false signals on the wet sand are weak and bit on and off as i have dug up nothing the few times i thought there might be something (target might have been deeper :8 ).

Does anyone here use their detectors to find concentrated mineral deposits in likely gold prospecting sections of a water course? I saw a guy on youtube using his detector to find where the black sands gave a stronger reading then he worked that area with his sluice? I thought it made sense he wasnt looking for fine gold with the detector just where it most likely was with the mineral deposits.

Cheers
Havinago and Co

I have used my SDC to find lead bullets in creek beds. Where heavy bullets take hold there has always been gold. :p

After reading a few posts on members detecting, how they dig and what they have found it inspired myself to get out and havago at the local park 70m from home with my toy the GoFind40. I spent approx 1hr and a half playing around and got 2x$2, 1x$1, 1x50cents and 1x5cents and a hellofalotta junk, the best i've done yet in the time frame given (no photo's we all know what they look like), I now have earnt ;) $13.50 in total for spendables for the time i've used the GoFind 40. I learnt a very valuable lesson today, where gloves as the blister on the palm of my hand from digging is as big as a 5c piece and a bit sore. Cant wait to get a pre decimal coin as the wonder of where it has been and how it got there will allways keep the the mind wondering.

Cheers
Havingo

I learnt my lesson when I sliced my hand open on a shard of glass still attached to a bottle cap a fair while back. Since then I have dug dozens of the same, real nasty surprises for the unwary with no gloves. ;) .

Latest posts