old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you might like one of these

http://www.all-ways.com.au/Wire-Rope-Ladder

1394175852_backpacker_60_metre_ladder.jpg

The last two photos were taken at a different mine. The shaft is about 35 metres deep with a tunnel at the base which I have yet to explore. The shaft may have been deeper in the past but surface material has been removed lowering the nearby ground area. You will notice the remains of the original shaft against the cliff wall at the back. There are some air vents nearby that have been blocked with mesh.

Yes the photos were taken at Daylesford. Here's another one I found nearby. The drive seems to have collapsed near the mouth at some stage. It looks like there was recent digging on the right.

Some experiences I have had doing as you do dean65 need to be also told to further highlight the dangers. About 10 years ago a friend and I explored an adit which went about 400 feet into a hill. It looked in perfect condition so in we went. We always wear hard hats, boots (not sneakers) and carry two torches each. The mine was interesting with cross cuts and stopes etc at the tunnel end. I felt uneasy but no idea why. tapped the roof no drummy sound, floor also quite sound. Anyway we left the tunnel but a few days later I went back because I had left my geo pick there and was shocked to see the the whole drive had collapsed from the surface down.
In another instance a few years earlier I was asked to assist the Mines Inspector at an underground mine near Rutherglen. It had been closed because of unsafe conditions and I was asked to be in attendance to help out. We were 180 feet underground down a shaft and had climbed down a series of ladders. As the Mines Inspector stepped onto a platform the whole thing collapsed into the shaft bottom a further 200 feet down. He was left dangling by one arm from a very old ladder. Fortunately he was rescued.
In another case a mine we entered which was a decline shaft again looked very safe and the air was good.
As we ventured about 200 feet in we both were suddenly very unwell. It felt like a very tight band around our forehead. Carbon Monoxide for sure, odourless and colourless.
We managed to crawl out into fresh air and after a while felt a little better.
In a final example a mine I was drilling in had a small rock, about half the size of a football drop about 30cm onto someone's hard hat. It split it in two. Glad it wasn't a head.
In each of these cases someone could have died.
I am an experienced underground operator and have worked in small scale underground mines, and know all the dangers and risks. In each case I mentioned, there was no warning of any danger.
I am not saying don't go into the old mines but please make sure you know what you are doing, wear hard hats, boots and don't trust old wooden ladders. If you can even carry oxygen/gas detectors with you.
Don't want to read in the paper about someone being killed exploring old mines.

Puddler Bill said:
Some experiences I have had doing as you do dean65 need to be also told to further highlight the dangers. About 10 years ago a friend and I explored an adit which went about 400 feet into a hill. It looked in perfect condition so in we went. We always wear hard hats, boots (not sneakers) and carry two torches each. The mine was interesting with cross cuts and stopes etc at the tunnel end. I felt uneasy but no idea why. tapped the roof no drummy sound, floor also quite sound. Anyway we left the tunnel but a few days later I went back because I had left my geo pick there and was shocked to see the the whole drive had collapsed from the surface down.

You story of the drive collapsing is quite frightening as you could easily have been inside at the time. The area around Black Hill in Ballarat has become very dangerous over the years as the rock is very soft and subject to crumbling. A number of people have fallen down shafts. Some were covered over decades ago using wooden boards topped with soil. The locations are now lost. The wood has rotted over the years and one unsuspecting step on what looks to be firm ground and down you go. Most of the time I photograph adits from the outside in order to stay safe.

Not trying to sound alarmist but many of these mines are very dangerous. Years of drought, the ground dries out and when it rains water comes in through the cracks causing collapses. Sometimes just the heat from your body can be enough to bring it all down.
If you do go into these old mines for goodness sake be careful and if you are not sure, stay out. I now have a remote vehicle which I send in with cameras and air sensors to have a look. If that gets squashed I don't care. Its better to be sure.

Wow what a great post.

I have to say, I've been very tempted to go and explore old mines but the sheer thought of a collapse or carbon monoxide frightens the living daylight out of me. So I just end up observing from the outside and am quite happy with that.

I think this is a great thread...why? well yes we have some great folk that have the gear and go exploring and what you bring through your photos is an end to the inquisitive nature of people like me that would love to go in and have a look but are either not equipped or experienced to do so.

Just remember the old saying "curiosity kills the cat"...I think this applies to the novices thinking of doing these things.

Bring on the photos...loving every one of them.

Thanks for the advice. Well taken. This adit was too dangerous to enter. Sat outside and took the photos. As I did small rocks and dust started to fall down. Sending a drone in would be a good idea. Will think about purchasing something so any ideas would be welcome.

Bought a very expensive radio control rock crawler, electric powered. Ripped it apart and fitted two cameras which feed live to a laptop and remote controlled. Big wheels, so if it tips over it can still drive. Fully waterproof, it floats,and carries mini gas/oxygen sensors. Lithium batteries power everything.
Designed and built after Pike River mine exploded in N.Z. Couldn't believe the dinosaur they sent in.
It goes places no person can, over rock falls, through small openings etc.
No pics as I am waiting for patents to be approved.

Puddler Bill said:
Bought a very expensive radio control rock crawler, electric powered. Ripped it apart and fitted two cameras which feed live to a laptop and remote controlled. Big wheels, so if it tips over it can still drive. Fully waterproof, it floats,and carries mini gas/oxygen sensors. Lithium batteries power everything.
Designed and built after Pike River mine exploded in N.Z. Couldn't believe the dinosaur they sent in.

well done mate

i had product ideas on that front too

you have mail

Puddler Bill said:

What sort of costs are we looking at ?

Be careful boys, I know you are, but just be careful. Looks very exciting and the adrenalin must be pumping, you are rewarded with some great stories and hopefully some yellow. makes most of us surface walkers envious I am sure.. Wife, family and associated loved ones would skin me alive if I did some of the stuff you guys do, more power to you!

Cheers, Tone

Development costs so far are more than 15k and that's with the support of some very generous people. This is a serious bit of equipment but you could just get a gopro and mount it on a cheap crawler. It would work until you go round a corner.....

Please keep me updated. This is a development worth following.

Explored the area around White Swan Road Ballarat today. Found some very deep shafts and water races in good condition.

You have to be careful. It's easily done. The shaft pictured above at Creswick is flush with the ground. You don't see the shaft until the last moment and with that one I was unable to see the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts