old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
dean65 said:
Magneticsand the pictures above are from a different mine to the one you mention. However, the location is very close.

lol It would be close, as its the other entrance to the same mine.

Haha just that one mate. The top overhang gave it away. If your ever in the area send me a pm. Plenty around depending on your inclination for adventure. I don't know them all but I do know most of them. One day in the near future due to the state they are in you won't get down them at all. Side adits, stoped drives, cross cuts, many beautiful mines around, maybe a dozen to 2 dozen depending on state that can be entered. It's not my thing but I'm happy to show you what I know probably more than the average person knows.

Hunting the yellow' your avatar photo? I know that Rickety bridge' is that one of balaclava tunnels? If it is Iv spent alot of time around those tunnels there's one that you may not have noticed as its out of sight tho if you go deep enough it still has the tracks on the floor' I'm not interested venturing underground anymore but happy to point out a few in that area'

Goldtarget said:
Haha just that one mate. The top overhang gave it away. If your ever in the area send me a pm. Plenty around depending on your inclination for adventure. I don't know them all but I do know most of them. One day in the near future due to the state they are in you won't get down them at all. Side adits, stoped drives, cross cuts, many beautiful mines around, maybe a dozen to 2 dozen depending on state that can be entered. It's not my thing but I'm happy to show you what I know probably more than the average person knows.

Might take you up on the offer. Thanks.

Thought so. LOL
Please don't get me wrong as I would never remove anything like that.
It would be there for a purpose.
That looks like a top spot to explore.
May I also ask has the mine been made "Safe for entry or is that the way it was left.??

Took a look at Carmen's Tunnel today in Maldon. Situated 2.7 Km south of Maldon, Australia's "First Notable Town." This tunnel was commenced around 1882 by the Great International Quartz Mining Company, as an attempt to drive a tunnel right through Mt Tarrangower, intersecting the rich gold-bearing reefs that had been mined previously from shaft type mines on the mount.

Tathradj said:
Thought so. LOL
Please don't get me wrong as I would never remove anything like that.
It would be there for a purpose.
That looks like a top spot to explore.
May I also ask has the mine been made "Safe for entry or is that the way it was left.??

The mine was not left like that and the additions you see such as the wire mesh and gates were added afterwards for the benefit of visitors.

That was good of some one to do that. :) :)
It really gives us an idea of the blood, sweat and tears that the old miners put into their endeavors.
I could imagine some one who is not used to being under ground walking over the mesh then looking downwards. LOL
Also gives some insight on how bloody dangerous these old mines can be.
Thank You.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts