old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The mine was to the west of Ballarat and on private property so I won't give out the exact location. In Tarnagulla I would think about visiting Poverty Reef. The reef was named by one of its discoverers, Mr. Hatt, in remembrance of Poverty Bay, New Zealand where he had been saved from drowning by a Mori woman. The Poverty lode was unusual in that the gold was found in large blocks of quartz. However, I would only recommend you visit tourist mines.

Mine was to the west of Ballarat was very interesting because it has two tunnels that go downwards at a sharp angle and meet together at the top of a steep shaft.

Gday Dean,
I really like that mine , its an interesting
system.
Did you manage to explore it in its entirety?
Cheers Steve

Not the entire part. The tunnel at the back requires crawling for many meters and my back was getting a bit sore by this stage. Managed to get a about 75% down one of the side tunnels. They drop at a steep angle and meet together at the top of a shaft. It would be easy to slide down and then drop over the edge of the shaft - so you need to be careful. Damo made it to the top of the shaft and lowered his video camera down to get info about the nature of the shaft pending further exploration. We will visit this mine next time we go out. There are four of them in that area.

This mine is to the west of Ballarat and also has a tunnel dropping at a sharp angle ending in a long dark shaft. Seems to be a feature of this area. The entrance was overrun with prickle bushes and has only recently been liberated for easy access by underground explorers.

North Moolort Mine Tour.

Moolort mines tour was a great success. Due to a mistake with calculations the first shaft of the Moolort mines was sunk approximately 6,000 ft (1,846m) to the west of the main lead, this meant that the miners had to dig across to the lead while underground after already having dug down to 284 ft (87m), until a new shaft was sunk.

Moolort is situated in central Victoria approximately half way between the major rural cities of Ballarat and Bendigo. The main industry is currently agriculture with sheep and crop farming being the most prevalent although over the last 15 years some smaller farms have started growing grapes for wine and conifers for Christmas trees. In the past however, Moolort was a large gold mining area which at one point had rivalled other local mining towns in the area for population. There is one mine on the outskirts of Moolort that currently mines vivianite and siderite.

Took a look at Maryborough Railway Station on the way home. Not a mine but well worth visit if you happen to be in the area. Maryborough railway station is located on the Mildura Railway line. In 2007 the station underwent a $1.2 million upgrade to conduct vital repairs to the historic bell tower, clock and roof which was built in 1890. In 1895 American writer Mark Twain visited the town and remarked about the station upon his visit. Daily train services to and from Ballarat, with onward connections to Melbourne's Southern Cross Station commenced in 2010.

Gee Dean,
That's a great looking mine, the timber work
looks fantastic and I love the pink Christmas decorations
as well.
Is the mine getting prepared for work again as I noticed
the metal support.
Also Dean, are you on holidays already as you seem tone
getting out and about a lot recently.
Cheers Steve

Hi Steve, The mine was last worked in 1980/81. They were reworking an older mine. There are no plans to reopen the mine. Currently on holidays at present and available to go out on Saturday etc. Thanks Dean.

I know of two mines worked in the Blackwood area at that time. One was worked by a syndicate operated by a bloke called Graeme Ashcroft, the other was worked by the great lunatic of Aussie rules, Mark Jackson and his uncle. Met Jacko many years back when I worked at the Old Miners Den in Mitcham. He was buying some gear for the mine. Nice bloke but not a clue about gold mining.lolol

From what I understand Graham's lease may have run out. He had some professional guys working for him at one stage. Anyone visiting this mine needs to be very pussyfoot as there is water everywhere and the walls are buckling as can be seen from the photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.