old mine is now mapped and recorded :)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This mine is in the Ballarat region and known to very few. It has two internal shafts that are very deep - about 40 metres. The first shaft is very clean cut at the top making it somewhat unique.

Shame about the graffiti on the walls. Years ago someone lit a fire in there. However, it seems to have mostly recovered. The first neat cut shaft looks like something out of an Egyptian tomb. You almost expect a mummy to come flying out !

Found four new tunnels today out Blackwood way. Some with dangerous internal shafts. Was not able to fully explore these mines and will return.

Mmmmm , we all get a buzz from flies :D

Gday Dean , great to see your still out and about.
Great shots as always mate.
Sorry that we haven't caught up recently but I look forward
to getting out and about with you in the near future.
Cheers Steve

magneticsand said:
dean65 said:
This mine is up in the Maryborough area. Unlike Blackwood, these diggings are very dry. Not a drop of water anywhere.

Did you enjoy the flys in that one?

Next time I might take a can of Mortein with me ! Those pests can ruin your photos.

stoyve said:
Mmmmm , we all get a buzz from flies :D

Gday Dean , great to see your still out and about.
Great shots as always mate.
Sorry that we haven't caught up recently but I look forward
to getting out and about with you in the near future.
Cheers Steve

The list of mines to visit is getting longer. The tunnel with the shaft looks like it has a false floor covered in dirt so I'm glad I didn't go to close. All the drives angle downwards - a factor you can't really see well from the photos.

Great photo's there for sure and it always amazes me the time and effort involved to dig these!

On a negative note: it seems that no matter where we go in this beautiful country of ours, some @#$%wit has graffiti-ed it in some way!!!! Grrrrr that really gives me the shits!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Ok I feel better now and thanks again for the great pics!! :cool:

Cheers,
Billy.

Wow Dean,
That one looks like its straight out of a scene
from a cowboy movie.
I love it,
Great pics.
Cheers Steve :D

Hi Dean is the rock that those tunnels are driven into some kind of volcanic basalt? If so is there a wash layer between the lower bedrock & the basalt flows.

Jethro

Basalt is a dark heavy rock. What we have above is some type of sandstone with a high iron content. Magneticsand the pictures above are from a different mine to the one you mention. However, the location is very close. The two photos tonight are from Amherst Reef Geological Reserve. Not sure if it will be possible to explore this tunnel. Quartz Mountain or the Big Reef is a massive quartz outcrop in Paddy's Ranges between Amherst and Lillicur, about 15 minutes drive from Talbot. The pure quartz masses stand over six metres above the surface level of the adjoining hill. and, in one section, a magnificent 40 tonne boulder balances on top of the reef, the biggest remaining quartz reef in the Southern Hemisphere.

Rope it off with a 4wd and a winch,...just remember to push it back on when you are finished !(safely though).

In the first picture I'm wondering if there is an adit leading into the hill with a silted up entrance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts