Old Farm

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I had my eye on this place for a while, finally got the balls to knock on the door this morning and chat to the owner(Ron). Ron gave me a quick history lesson on the area and gave me permission to go my hardest. He told me about a hotel that was now a grazing paddock for livestock, the hotel was built back in 1870 which had long gone but told me of others before me using metal detectors and that they had found many coins and relics where the hotel use to stand.
So off I went all I wanted was a coin or an old relic, I walked for 2 hours gridding an area the size of a average house block, low and slow picking up some junk but the area was reasonably clean and made it a pleasure to swing over. The day was warming up and the flies were starting to annoy me so I called it a day as I could come back later in the week and try a new patch of ground.
1512465831_img_1438.jpg

My finds today

1512465904_img_1440.jpg

I think these are pistol projectiles for old pistol, maybe wrong.
1512466081_img_1436.jpg

Old truck, plenty rubbish in this area.

Cheers
Kev

Great Permission score! Keep going back many times! I want to do many places but often not sure who really own the property...Do n see house near by!

Good onya Kev ,..... making a start is a good beginning on it ! :Y:

Cop that view Kev !
Someone woulda wanted to see that for sure :D
1512615415_screenshot_2017-12-07-12-54-47.jpg

and check out those two posts over there.
Looks like the ground is lower on the way up to them (like it was a vehicle track to a dwelling maybe)
1512615519_screenshot_2017-12-07-12-55-18.jpg

and don't neglect that water tank (or old tree house) over on the right. :Y:
you can just make it out through the trees. ;) ;)
1512615588_screenshot_2017-12-07-12-53-56.jpg

Thanks fellas for the where to look info, will go back out there early tomorrow morning, up the slope near the tree's was remains of a house I've had a swing around the area but its very trashy, will have another look in the morning but most of my time will be spent on the old hotel site. Will post pics of finds tomorrow.

Cheers
Kev

Looks like a good site. Try around some of the trees as people on properties sometimes use them or shade in hot weather. Good luck with your hunt.

Hi All,
Went back to the farm this morning and continued to hunt over the hotel site, after about 30 minutes found my first coin, old penny too dirty to read date so put it in my pocket and continued on only finding junk gave it couple of hours and decided to go back to the old truck and spend some time around those tree's but no more treasure just more junk, decided to call it a day as it was warming up and could'nt wait to clean up the penny. When I got home I tried soaking the penny in soap and water and rubbing the penny with my fingers, this did'nt seem to be working so then I used lemon juice and bi carb tried rubbing bi carb on the penny with fingers but still could'nt read the date, next was acid (forgive me but I was desperate), and the rest is history very much so, anyway the penny was probably worthless. Yeah I have lean't my lesson acid and coins don't go together well.

Cheers
Kev
1512713559_img_1441.jpg

No good around the Fig Tree
1512713720_img_1446.jpg

Before
1512713757_img_1452.jpg

After
1512713789_img_1453.jpg

It's OK to make a mistake, just don't make the same mistake twice.

Not quite sure if the portrait is the bun head which would make it about anywhere from 1864 to 1860.

Whisp said:
It's OK to make a mistake, just don't make the same mistake twice.

Not quite sure if the portrait is the bun head which would make it about anywhere from 1854 to 1860.

Yeah Silver I think your right, looking at the coin I can see the tress of hair below the bun, spew'n will not do that again.Thanks for your help looking up the coin.

Cheers
Kev

I went back to the farm this morning, no coins just the usual junk and 2 brass buttons and what looks like part of a tag, will clean them up today.

Cheers
Kev

1513750882_img_1459.jpg

I took this pic because I thought its silver for sure.

1513750986_img_1460.jpg

My heart sank, its a stinking button bugger.

1513751113_img_1463.jpg

My finds today mostly junk.

1513751197_img_1464.jpg

Latest posts