Old but active

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been lurking for a couple of months, joined a few weeks ago and have submitted the basic 10 posts, so thought I had better introduce myself.

I am well and truly retired and spend most of my time doing volunteer work when not doing things at home. I have done a wide range of vollie work, in Victoria, NSW, Queensland and WA, mainly associated with helping out on farms or cattle stations when they were in need for help after fires or floods, but back home also doing event organising and general equipment maintenance for a charity. I am reasonably well equipped for both long distance and off-road travel and camping (different vehicles) so getting into some reasonably remote country or forest areas is fine by me.

I have a technical background, but have been expanding my horizons since retiring, getting back into things that were of interest many, many years ago, such as prospecting, since I grew up near Eldorado and Beechworth and did some panning there as a young bloke. I still have a range of pans and sieves from those days.

Now the technical interests are melding with a lifelong interest in geology, so that involves mapping, GPS, and now metal detecting mainly interested in the yellow stuff. As my family have become interested in what I am doing, I am now encouraging grand-kids to do some basic detecting as well, using cheaper detectors, so where that ends up should be interesting, but expect it to be mainly beaches and parks for some time.

So now the "family" has a SDC 2300, Xterra 705 and a couple of Aldi specials, as well as the original basic pans and sieves.

Rob

Sounds like your well prepared for any situation.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for helping those in need,some people forget how much we need the farmers.

LC76 said:
Sounds like your well prepared for any situation.
Welcome to the forum and thanks for helping those in need,some people forget how much we need the farmers.

Thanks for the welcome.

Some people think that the vollie work must be a chore, but I really enjoy it for a whole range of reasons and hope to be able to continue doing so for a few years to come. My longest stint was last year care-taking a WA cattle station by myself for 3 months, as I got flooded in. I spent a few days in the WA goldfield areas during travel to and from the place, and I am likely to go back there next year, so will do some detecting in the process.

Rob

GDay Pablo

Good luck and look forward to hearing of your and the grandkids finds :)

Gday PabloP, hope you find a bit of colour along the way, good feeling helping people, well done.
Cheers and Beers.
Silver.

Latest posts