NSW Highbanking - what is the current state of play?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet this bloke loves highbankers

1551610487_08bcfab7-9d64-424d-9f02-e4fa063c7372.jpg

I have no personal issues with a NSW business selling high banker units or pumps, and neither should you.
Victorian customers should still have the right to a free market.
But a clause should be added to an ad stating that pumps are not allowed to be hooked up etc in NSW... yada

No difference than selling a still for distilling essential oils. Don't use it for distilling alcohol.

I bought a high banker from CWPS a few years ago and still use it occasionally, just because your state is full of nongers doesnt mean your local businesses cant sell things to people living in the non nanny states.

Balmain Bob said:
It should be noted that ITS IS NOT ILLEGAL TO USE A HIGHBANKER IN NSW

Its just illegal to have a powered pump CONNECTED to the highbanker to provide the water

There are numerous other ways that you can still use your highbanker, you just need to work it out
I think it was mudgie hunter that said put it under a waterfall...Brilliant idea :Y:

Be an interesting case in court if you a river sluice set up, with no flow, and pumped from below to upstream of the rivef sluice to create a flow?
With no direct connection.
Your not really interfering with the natural flow if there is none! :lol:

If any one knew the regs it would be me. :) ;)

The method is perfectly legal.

Now there will be crash sales on small swimming pools.

Just keep the water flowing back into the stream or what ever clean.

Smoky bandit said:
Tathradj said:
Actually,
He is correct. :)
Pump your water up to a higher point.
Siphon it back to your Sluice
Sounds good but still not worth trying to prove your case in court mate :) :Y:

Tathradj said:
If any one knew the regs it would be me. :) ;)

The method is perfectly legal.

Now there will be crash sales on small swimming pools.

Just keep the water flowing back into the stream or what ever clean.

Smoky bandit said:
Tathradj said:
Actually,
He is correct. :)
Pump your water up to a higher point.
Siphon it back to your Sluice
Sounds good but still not worth trying to prove your case in court mate :) :Y:
Yer Tath.I have no doubt you know what your on about.
But unfortunately I'm not so confident the ranger trying to charge me does :) :beer:

robmoto said:
The way I see it is setting up a river sluice in a creek is ok but when you pour your gravel and wash into it and you make the water dirty you are breaking the law also and don,t pan in the creek either lol

And what ever you do!!!........ Do not attempt to have any fun! :lol:

now now fellas lets not forget that there are alot of active claims and mines in NSW. that means prospectors using multiple highbankers, trommels, even excavators running this gear well within the laws and regs. There are also just as many people bucket filling their highbankers, using hand driven bilge pumps etc.

The restriction is on mechanical means not the highbanker never was.

Highbankers are no more illegal than the shirt on your back, i'm sure you could find a few phrases to print on that shirt which would make it illegal to wear my point is its framework that tries to limit our hobby don't let regs ruin your hobby learn to work with them and show how much we care about our medicine.

You can be smart without being a smartass, let em give you an example a mate of mine last year bought a highbanker now keep in mind hes ex military and finding out he couldn't wash some rocks was a bit hard for him to take. so instead of letting it stop him he asked alot of questions, in the end he built a fully enclosed system that ran on the back of his ute.
the ute has 300 litres of water, the highbanker sits on top and he catches everything and put the buckets of rock back in the creek. he called the mines dept here in QLD asked them to come out while he was using his highbanker in a GPA in QLD same rules as nsw.

the inspector did come out and said there's nothing wrong with what you are doing, and when pressed why was told "you arent discharging into the common waterway" so he pointed out highbaknkers aren't illegal in qld then she said no we never stated highbankers were illegal, you asked if you could run a highbanker in a GPA the assumption was you would be taking common water and discharging back into the stream.

its my firm belief that common water needs to be protected for many to use so i'm sure if we all did a better job myself included and reducing sediment and controlling discharge that wed be in a better place.

I think we all need to do more to show people how much we care about the bush, the water and our great hobby. i'm working on getting prospecting listed as a treatment therapy for PTDS sufferers i have literally hundreds of PTSD customers who use prospecting as medicine and it works. if we do get prospecting listed under the Therapeutic Goods Administration its would be discriminator to restrict the activity without proof of harm.

If it was listed under the TGA, the Government can and Do Discriminate to their liking... They have passed laws in this field and gives them the power to do as they please..

Look at our nice new trains here in Brisbane... They don't meet the rules for the Disabled. .. But they still run them and tell the poor bugga in the Wheelchair that they have to catch the next train..... :mad:

You have a good idea there, but I think they will quickly change the 'Rules' to suit themselves....

In NSW, The use of Highbankers with Pumps IS GONE FOREVER... You will NEVER get them back... So you just have to work around that Issue...

LW.....

Latest posts