Back from NZ, where and how in Qld and NSW? Help appreciated.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Can you guys please help me out.

Im a bit paranoid about snakes in summer.

Should I avoid free diving river still water areas like the calm areas of a waterfall? I use an SDC2300 and a Garret Pin Pointer.

Now, where am I allowed to fossick for gold? Im so confused over what is public land and what isnt. Are there any maps for Qld and NSW that clearly show what areas are allowed?

I love panning so Im hoping I can run a river sluice in NSW?

Yabby pumps are allowed just not electric dredges?

Is there still reasonable gold to be found?

That should be enough to get me started.

No matter where you swim or dive in Australia, in summer snakes do the same. Will they be where you are :| that's the million dollar question, some days / or time of day they can be. If in overgrown bank's I'd be vigilant at all times, it's their full time environment after all, that said it's all about common sense really :Y: can't help you with NSW /QLD best of luck when you get a chance to get amongst it :beer:

RM Outback said:
No matter where you swim or dive in Australia, in summer snakes do the same. Will they be where you are :| that's the million dollar question, some days / or time of day they can be. If in overgrown bank's I'd be vigilant at all times, it's their full time environment after all, that said it's all about common sense really :Y: can't help you with NSW /QLD best of luck when you get a chance to get amongst it :beer:
Thanks mate. Good tip on our friendly reptiles. I find browns to be the most aggressive. I dont know why. But they do make me nervous.

I have a plan, maybe leave the wet stuff for winter and do dry creeks for digging and for detecting.

Im not sure on the laws, whne I dig a dry creek, can I use an electric sluice plumbed to a recycling bucket of water?

Im very respectful of other peoples land and indigenous areas. I just want a heads up what is public access in both states. Ive tried google. I thought there would be a clear map showing public areas.

I just get this bad feeling Im too late and all the gold has gone. NZ is prety dry, but very limited amount of public streams. There you cant use anything mechanical, so your sluice has to be a river run one, which is no issue, but in public rivers its very hard going.

Wow Im allowed to fossick for gem stones too like Saphires?

Aus doesnt have Emeralds does it? Thats my Fab stone.

I might look for work in Canberra which will get me closer to good spots on weekends? Do places like Wee Jasper still hold gold?

Latest posts