Nicest place to call home in Australia?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike678 said:
Yes that was me at Balmoral Beach ! My mother lived in the block of flats next to the swim club . I did live with my mother there from time to time . The flats belonged to the council and were knocked down and made into open space . It was a solid well built block from the 30's but needed re wiring and re plumbing . A war vet was living there and they could not kick him out . He moved up the Central Coast and so they knocked it down . My mother went to live in Raglan St .

At that time there was nobody else out detecting on the beach . Set back was having to buy 6 -9 volt batteries and no 1 or 2 coins .

Have done Balmoral a few times as well but the parking is so expensive these days, would have been handy living there, would be really nice spot to live.

Sure was a nice place to live except on the weekends .... In those days there was no pay to park .

Manpa said:
Lower Eyre Peninsula SA Coffin Bay or Port MacDonnell in the South East of SA, tough call.

Port Mac is lovely! Bloody cold though most of the year. Great place to get crayfish though. Coffin bay is also lovely! Warmer weather is a plus.

condor22 said:
I grew up in the U.K. have lived in Malaysia, spent time in Singapore and Thailand. I've lived in Wagga, Newcastle, Perth and mainly Adelaide.

My answer to the original question - Australia, best place on the planet and if you are happy in your life, doesn't really matter which part. :) :Y:

Couldn't agree more. I too have done a lot of OS travel with work but back home and retired I have been all around Oz and while I have some favourite places (including some OS), just saying Oz is the best, suits me fine.

Rob P.

condor22 said:
I grew up in the U.K. have lived in Malaysia, spent time in Singapore and Thailand. I've lived in Wagga, Newcastle, Perth and mainly Adelaide.

My answer to the original question - Australia, best place on the planet and if you are happy in your life, doesn't really matter which part. :) :Y:

Australia is really the best country in the world. We pay more tax etc, prices are generally expensive here, but you get what you pay for. I've got a house in Thailand. Spent years over there. My wife is Thai, kids half Thai. Nice place, but even she prefers Australia to Thailand. Thailand is ok for a holiday, wouldn't live there. My opinion anyway.

I left the U.K. on the boat about 2 months after I finished my apprentice ship , in 1966 . Been back twice . No regrets for the move , mother, sister and brother came out afterwards .

Mike678 said:
Yes that was me at Balmoral Beach ! My mother lived in the block of flats next to the swim club . I did live with my mother there from time to time . The flats belonged to the council and were knocked down and made into open space . It was a solid well built block from the 30's but needed re wiring and re plumbing . A war vet was living there and they could not kick him out . He moved up the Central Coast and so they knocked it down . My mother went to live in Raglan St .

At that time there was nobody else out detecting on the beach . Set back was having to buy 6 -9 volt batteries and no 1 or 2 coins .

:lol: I was a kid fishing the jetty often that ran along side of the baths. A nice decent bloke you are and thankyou for your kind chat that interested me in my first detector.

I lived at the top of mandalong rd.

Batteries must of been worth it, lots of ladies wore lots of gold from memory around that way. :lol:

Did we have a chat on Dee Why beach one time ? It was when all the beach was washed away and the concrete steps . The guy I talking to was from the Central Coast ? He also wrote about his finds and had it published in G.G. & T . I would be going to work at 7 a.m. , pouring with rain , and he was out there swinging the detector .

I remember a young guy throwing coins in front of my detector , at Balmoral . I did it a few times and then I let him find them by hand ! Was that you ?

I had a big jar of coins on top of my fridge but I do not remember finding any gold . Work was getting in the way , 2 x 12 hour days in the week and all day Sat . Got some cash in the hand which was good . Went on for about 18 months . Enough for a deposit to buy this unit for $21,200 ....

Sydney was great in the 70's, got married on Rocky Point in the middle of Balmoral Beach, just beautiful, ended up close to Young in the 90's when we had to get out of Sydney for reasons of personal security. Loved the area though never searched for the yellow even though it was probably in the creek on our farm.

In-laws caused a move to the Gold Coast 15 yrs ago, the Goldie pretty much sums up everything I hate about Cities, can't wait to leave and find our final spot, hopefully plenty of bush and maybe a little creek, but who knows...need to hit the road first.

No intention of leaving Australia, I believe that anyone who has travelled internationally quickly realises just how good Australia is to come home to. One incredibly beautiful place that always comes to mind is Jervis Bay, but I hate to think of the development that would have happened there over the last 25 years. :(

Dihusky said:
Sydney was great in the 70's, got married on Rocky Point in the middle of Balmoral Beach, just beautiful, ended up close to Young in the 90's when we had to get out of Sydney for reasons of personal security. Loved the area though never searched for the yellow even though it was probably in the creek on our farm.

In-laws caused a move to the Gold Coast 15 yrs ago, the Goldie pretty much sums up everything I hate about Cities, can't wait to leave and find our final spot, hopefully plenty of bush and maybe a little creek, but who knows...need to hit the road first.

No intention of leaving Australia, I believe that anyone who has travelled internationally quickly realises just how good Australia is to come home to. One incredibly beautiful place that always comes to mind is Jervis Bay, but I hate to think of the development that would have happened there over the last 25 years. :(

Jervis bay NSW I'm guessing? Looks lovely there. Great squid fishing place.

I will just leave this here and say its one of my locals.
1616775256_images.jpeg-2.jpg

Never went to deewhy i would of been the kid at balmoral :lol: funny world

I remember thinking it was like magic being able to see treasure under the surface. Stuck with me ever since in one form or another so thanks mike :goldnugget:

I was a tradesman fitter, worked in Artarmon . Did a lot of opal mining , was in Coober Pedy in 1967 . Also Andamooka and North West Q'land .

I lived on the Central Coast for 30 years and personally could not wait to move away. I can see what attracts so many to the place, it really does have some stunning scenery but its become far too crowded for me. Kincumber used to have a pub and small grocery store. Its a very different sight to see today.

Im now in the Snowy Mountains and love it there. I love the mountains and bonus is the local fossicking spots

Latest posts