Newbie in SE Queensland

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All
I've been a collector of rocks, minerals and crystals for years but haven't been fossicking before and am very keen to get started. Can anyone please recommend an area in SE Queensland that is suitable for a newbie so I can get some experience? Any advice is appreciated!
Many Thanks...

Welcome Blossom, Gympie and Warwick are the closest area to Brisbane to have a go at. West of Warwick you have the Talgai and Durakai Forests where you are allowed to fossick with a licence.
Good Luck, Qld is a very big State.
Cheers Jaros :p

gday Bloss,... welcome aboard,... look in any creeks for a starter(near where you live). :D

Thanks everyone. I have just had my first fossicking trip, to Sapphire in central Queensland. Cut short with the rain that has come through. But still managed to find a few sapphires and zircons. I've certainly got the bug now, and am looking to buy some sieves etc so I can do much more... I'll try to photograph them and put up a picture later.

G'day Blossom

Wooly here from Gladstone we got chased from work today from the weather as well, If you want some where not to far for a day trip from SE QLD try Chinchilla for petrified wood some of the colours are amazing and I would recommend staying at the Great Western motel there the people in town are very helpful the info centre will point you in the right direction, You will love it,

Wooly,

1468651524_dscn1660_copy.jpg

1468651524_dscn1663_copy.jpg

1468651524_dscn1664_copy.jpg

Great to see you have finally got your hands dirty Blossum and come up with some pretty stones. :cool:

The infamous Moranbah Diamond (gem quality Quartz) might be worth researching as well. In addition to clears, rumour has it they get some kerosene blue colour stones up that way as well.

Latest posts