New to Gems...

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grippsy25

Matt
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Im still quite new to fossicking/prospecting, not sure I've got the lingo down and all that jazz so please bare with me.

Im honestly a little more keen for prospecting for gold probably via the detector route, but Im not exactly rich so it's will take me some time to save for a detector, so I figure in the meantime I can do a little fossicking for gems. I did actually join this site with gems and fossicking on my mind, but quickly gold took centre stage.

I live in Mooroolbark, basically the foothills of the Dandenong Ranges, outer eastern suburbs of Melbourne...anyone near by interested in a day out, perchance? Im looking to get out for the first time sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. I haven't got any permits or whatever yet so that will have to be a priority before I do anything, obviously.

So a few quickfire questions I have:
Do YOU usually find something of interest every time you go out?
Are there any good areas to fossick within an hours drive of where I live?
What does everyone here do with the stones? Collect them rough? Sell them? Cut them? Make jewellery?

I just came across a thread which included this picture (https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/357/1370426399_rocks.jpg). How accurate is this? I notice Lilydale on the list (it's the next town over from me)...that's surprising. AmAm I really likely to find anything in Lilydale? I have family with 50 acres in Wandin with multiple creeks running through. Assuming these creeks arent on exempt lists, is it worth a look? Upper Yarra seems to be a good. Plenty of gems and close enough to me. So is "Upper Yarra" area sort of Reefton/Woods Point way?

Anyways, don't want to waffle on too much...

Cheers for reading

Best of luck with it. Im not in Vic so cant give much advice.

Im a gold person at heart but Gems are addictive. My first outing nailed a nice "cutter" sapphire, pluse 10 or so non cutters and probably about 30 other "rocks" Ive got no idea what they are but I cant seem to be able to throw them away as they look interesting.

All you need is a "gem area", two sieves and a small shovel and possibly some gloves that are able to be wet...the ones you can buy at the hardware rubber on one side and cloth on the other. Good for keeping the hands safe while playing around.

Watch a few Wal n Liz vids and thats all you need to get your hands wet. Facsinating stuff if ur in a gem area, there are so many interesting rocks. To add, bring a bucket or 2 home and you have hours of more pleasure sifting thru that lot when ur bored.

Had a stone cut, and have another ready to send off. Love gold but it can be really ellusive...gems on the other hand are readily there if you do a bit of work....its just the size over a few carat that can be more ellusive.

Thanks grubstake, I live in lilydale, trying to think of where I would start to look for gems here, only place I can think of is David michell, but that place is still a working mine and off limits. Only other place could be Coldstream

Latest posts