New spot

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameronpatrol

Cameron
Reaction score
Hi all
Tried a new spot as I spotted it on the way to the other spot I found last week.
Got two of my biggest bits first pan
But that was it
I think I'll go back as there's lots of holes and spots to try.
Looks like it is the inside bend.
Don't know why it looked untouched as you can see it from the track.
I kept hiding my pan when people drove past lol just in case someone got and idea to try there to hahaha
I think the sluice might get a run next time.
I read some where that you shouldn't leave your sluice in the water running if you aren't running material as you can lose your gold. Does this sound right ?
I only have a little back pack sluice I got of eBay for 50clams.
A bloke from Geelong direction was selling them and it was all I could afford.
Cheers cam

1480240432_img_0401.jpg

Well done mate. Maybe the spot is just too obvious for people to try. They probably hike a k or so down the river Most of my best spots have been right under people's noses in the most obvious, well trodden paths. Best bet is to spend a good day or two hitting it hard before others cotton on. Some places I've tried have been ripped to shreds after I had a little dig. That really gets my goat when you are working a spot and playing fair and then some jerk comes in and rips the bank wide open. Anyone I meet before probably think I'm the one ripping apart the bank and leaving gaping holes everywhere...grrrrr!

I don't know about leaving the sluice running but I am keen to find out as I have just bought one.

Happy hunting!

Maltisau said:
Well done mate. Maybe the spot is just too obvious for people to try. They probably hike a k or so down the river Most of my best spots have been right under people's noses in the most obvious, well trodden paths. Best bet is to spend a good day or two hitting it hard before others cotton on. Some places I've tried have been ripped to shreds after I had a little dig. That really gets my goat when you are working a spot and playing fair and then some jerk comes in and rips the bank wide open. Anyone I meet before probably think I'm the one ripping apart the bank and leaving gaping holes everywhere...grrrrr!

I don't know about leaving the sluice running but I am keen to find out as I have just bought one.

Happy hunting!

Maybe that's why to obvious.
Having trouble getting other pictures up
Try again latter.

This spot has heaps of bedrock exposed, cracks crevisis and spots to raid in the river
Plenty of cracks with grass and moss growing.

The spot I found last week I saw a big hole dug under a rock on my way back which I didn't notice till we on the way back to the car.
So we had a quick pan. But no good.
Clearly they were to lazy to fill it in.

When I bought my banker they said to leave the water running when you go to lunch etc. the dead zones is what traps and holds the gold. when you start and stop the flow that is what will blow the gold out.

I have also seen on that "gold rush" show when the wash plants run out of water they get pissed and say the gold will not be holding, also if it builds up in the riffles it won't hold gold, it will just flow over the top of clogged riffles, keeping the dead zones is very important.

Ok awsome
That's good to know.
I spend so much time getting it to run nicely
When there's not much flow I'd hate to keep having to lift it in and out between buckets.
Still learning and experimenting with flow.
I think sometimes I go overboard building dams to get the velocity up.
Out of curiosity my sluice didn't come with instructions it's roughly 400-500 long
Back pack sluice with rifles and miners Matt and ally mesh on top.

Roughy what amount of material would be maximum to put through it at a time.
Ballpark amount.
Teaspoon?
Just the tip of fiscus plastic garden Shovel?
Small pinch with the hands?
I've experimented but still unsure
Maybe I need t classify more.
I get build ups of gravel on top if I put too much in. But then put the tip of my little shovel to move the water flow and it washes the top gravels away and cleans it.
Will doing this wash the gold out of the Matt as well?

Sorry for the questions.
I think i probably have answered my question myself and know the answer but having someone else optinion would be great also.
Cheers cam

I think it all depends what sluice you have a mate of mine has a fairly large one and has miners moss under riffles etc, that thing can sit there all day, you can kick it and it won't lose gold, however I have a little Mackirk with drop riffles, that thing, you don't want to disrupt it in any way shape or form or you'll blow the gold and heavies straight out.

Cameronpatrol said:

nice little sluice - i can see your problem of why the paydirt hangs up in the top of the sluice and it doesn't clear well. It would perform better it the slick area was raised and the paydirt flowed onto and over the capture zone. The way the sluice is set up (like many commercial offerings) the head of the riffle ladder acts just like dam.

casper

If I feed it in really slow I think it's not too bad
I've only used it a couple of times so far.
I get to excited/learning I pan every hole to see what I find and add it to the learning curve so to speak.

Would it be worth making a small ramp at the head?
So the material can flow up to the first riffle instead of hitting the wall of moss?

As it does seem, to build up before it's even gone over the first one now I think about it.
Or heat it up and bash them down with a hammer or press?
I might build a ramp from blue tack and see if it makes a difference then I could make a more permanent solution.
Or maybe a small piece of that fine black rubber matting ??
Clamp it down with the riffle where the wing nut is?
Cheers cam

casper said:
...... what would also help is if you classify (ie seive) your paydirt down to 1/4 or 1/8th inch and feed that into the sluice. Check the seive contents for nuggies before discarding.

cheers casper

Ok I'll see what I can come up with and hopefully give it a test over the weekend.
I have one classifier it's a garden site from Bunnings.
I think the holes are around 4-5 mm roughly.
Might have a scout through the opshop and see if I can find a sieve for baking or colander I can use or modify for now.
Thank you very much for your help, really appreciate it.
Cheers cam

Will do thanks bud
Just had an idea for a quick experimental fix lol
Might cut a coke can and fold the edge to hook over the entry / head and then clamp under the mesh riffle bar and see how it goes
If it works I'll try a build a decent plate out of ally or something.
Cheers

Latest posts