New kid on the block -- first stone

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I am brand new here, new to the whole fossicking game actually, went to Grabben Gullen two weeks ago, had no idea what I was doing but loved it all the same. I've attached photos of my finds and would love if anyone has any idea what the other stones are -- I am pretty sure the two small blue ones are sapphires but the others, no idea...

1410425700_sapphires.jpg

A collection of stones which I think two are sapphires (the blue ones) but would love help identifying the rest!

1410425787_blue_sapphire.jpg

This was my first stone -- a really pretty stone with three distinct shades of blue -- is this common?

The 2 blue and the dark opaque one are sapphires, and the other 3 are quartz. Love the colour of those blues you have there.

Thanks guys, yeah I was really happy with them -- the tri-shade one is interesting ... is it normal to get such a variety of shades in the stones?

this might be a stupid question but how big does a stone have to be to cut it into something nice?

Hamish said:
Thanks guys, yeah I was really happy with them -- the tri-shade one is interesting ... is it normal to get such a variety of shades in the stones?

this might be a stupid question but how big does a stone have to be to cut it into something nice?

Colour zoning is very common in Australian Sapphire, can make for some very interesting and beautiful cut gems.

Anything clear that is a chunky shape and over a carat can make a nice stone. 3-5 carat, clear and chunky and you are getting up to a good size.

Awesome, thanks Heatho -- I agree that the colour zoning would make for some awesome gems, I think the one I found is still way too small to get anything nice out. But the way I figure it, you've got a thousand times greater chance of finding something amazing if you're out there looking eh! And even if you find nothing, it's still a great way to spend your spare time. Can't go wrong.

I have one more question for the experts -- Is there any reliable way to tell zircon's from the other stones in the sieve? I remember watching WalnLiz's youtube video and they found a heap of zircons -- but I have no idea how to tell the difference!!

If you're at Grabben Gullen Hamish, and you get 1000 orange / reddish water worn transparent stones....then 999 will be zircon and the other one will be a garnet. ;)

Hamish said:
Awesome, thanks Heatho -- I agree that the colour zoning would make for some awesome gems, I think the one I found is still way too small to get anything nice out. But the way I figure it, you've got a thousand times greater chance of finding something amazing if you're out there looking eh! And even if you find nothing, it's still a great way to spend your spare time. Can't go wrong.

I have one more question for the experts -- Is there any reliable way to tell zircon's from the other stones in the sieve? I remember watching WalnLiz's youtube video and they found a heap of zircons -- but I have no idea how to tell the difference!!

Zircons are usually very clear, gem quality are anyway, they will be either clear to champagne colour or a reddish colour. You'll know it when you see it, I did, lol. They do stick out from the other stuff. They are heavy like Sapphs too and should be near them if your sieving technique is good.

Have you weighed your larger Sapph?

haha I see!! Ok! Well I'll keep that in mind this weekend. If I come home with 1000 orange / reddish water worn stones I'll be a pretty happy man!

Haven't weighed my larger sapphire Heatho but I will weight it at work tomorrow on our gram scales -- I'll keep you posted! How do we convert it from grams to carats? So many simple questions ... :8

Hi Hamish.

Yep, those two are definately sapphires and I suspect the smaller blackish top left-hand one in the first photo probably is as well. Not sure of the exact size but the 3-shades-of-blue one looks like a cutter from what I can see.

Your avatar photo reminds me of a place we stopped out in the Territory. Can't recall the exact name, something Springs. I'll never forget it because I was violently ill while we were there and spent a bitterly-cold night frozen to the toilet while holding a bucket :) We drove to King's canyon the next day and I did the easy walk even though I was badly washed-out. Very impressed with King's canyon! Nearly collided with a camel on the way back.

Lefty! Brings back classic memories for me too -- I got so sick this trip, couldn't leave the campervan for more than 5mins without needing to throw up. Some dodgy indian food in Alice Springs was to blame but it took me a while to get over it! Bloody good trip though -- hot hot hot but really enjoyed it. Forgot my larger stone today so cannot weigh it at work but I'll let you know when I get a weight on it.

Had another go today, lots of small stones, still cannot work out where you guys get anything bigger! Images attached :) time for a sleep I think! Bloody hard work digging holes!

1410591429_image.jpg

Not bad for a newbie mate. :) You're finding them, a bigger one will pop up soon, mostly hard work and luck really. Orange one is a Zircon.

Nice work.

Have to look at it a bit like this Hamish.....If you could go out and get a 20kt stone every trip they would be so common they wouldn't be worth anything. ;) Keep at it mate and I'm sure you will get a large one if you persevere.

You are working the right kind of gravel by the looks of it. Keep sticking to the areas with the largest Spinels, and that is where the bigger Sapphires will be hiding. Good luck on the next trip out that way.

Cheers Wal.

Thanks for the comments guys, I have noticed that the two bigger blue ones are hardly clear at all -- this means they are no good eh? The way I figure it, it is a great way to relax and unwind after a hard week at work so any stones are just a bonus, each time I find one it's like a little party next to the river :)

Yeah you need quite clear stones to be worth cutting, though some opaque stones can make very nice cabochons. The larger first one you found looks like it has the best potential to me.

The stones are a bonus mate, as Wal said they would be worthless if they were everywhere. Just keep at it.

Latest posts