My first nuggets !!!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I wanted to share my very first nuggets I found this morning.

After one year of hard working in a farm to be able to buy all the gear for that trip, I finally left Albany, WA, 10 days ago to the Western Australia Goldfields.

First, after 2 days on the road, I went around Menzies, where I went around some old timers diggings on a pending lease, I stayed here for two days but it was full of rubbish, from both old timers and recent rubbish so I left the place to another location.

Then I went between Menzies and Leonora, after 1h30 drive on a very rough track, the ground of the pending lease didn't look good for me ( too soft ground, no rocks on the surface ) :( so I didn't even took the detector off the car and I left again.

After that, I decided to go back to Menzies to try my luck just next to the town, but my newbie's knowledge told me that that ground wasn't good either :mad:

So I finally told to myself, ok, now you're going to one place and you don't #$%^&*@ move until all the ground of the lease is done.

So yesterday I moved from Menzies to leonora, and slept on the freecamp next to the gwalia mine ( beautiful view ;) )
and this morning on the way to a pending lease close to Leonora, I saw some good looking ground ( for a newbie :D ) and it was also on a pending lease, lucky I am :p , so after 2 bits of steel and one birdshot, I finally unearthed my first nugget ( 0.15g ) only one inch down.

And the two others ones came not long after, this morning ( 0.22 and 0.13 g ).
So now I stuck to this lease until all the gold is gone :lol:

Thank you everybody for all the knowledge you shared on that forum, that helped me a lot, and now I will try to put a bit of my little knowledge on this forum too ;)
1497763060_img_0442.jpg

1497763176_img_0466.jpg

1497763257_img_0459.jpg

I was reading till halfway down and got excited (had to look at photos) good write up and good gold gasco :Y:

Well done mate :Y: :lol:
I know you would be over the moon from your first nugget, i know i was too.
Looking forward to seeing some more from your trip.
Time to have a well earned celabatory drink for you Gasco29

Thank you all, I still have one month 1/2 free to go where the gold is so I have the time to find plenty of them I hope ;)

I finished the day with 6 nugget for a little bit more than a gram, I am sure there are plenty left around, but the area is full of rubbish ( piece of steel, microscopic wire, and I don't know how many birdshot 8.( That is because I am less than 100 meters to some old mine shafts ) but it is in a live lease unfortunately, I found my nuggets just at the limit between the leases.

I didn't see any detector holes but I think it is because the last detector to come here was a long time ago, so because I have the Z, I might be lucky tomorrow :p

Plenty more to come tomorrow I hope :cool:

1497779677_434d961f-c6e7-40e5-a93a-606b812da68c.jpg

1497779678_img_0470.jpg

1497779678_img_0473.jpg

LORD said:
Well done mate :Y: :lol:
I know you would be over the moon from your first nugget, i know i was too.
Looking forward to seeing some more from your trip.
Time to have a well earned celabatory drink for you Gasco29

Yes, I was over the moon O:) tomorrow, I will celebrate that, today it is Sunday, everything is closed I think here in Leonora 8.(

Great job gasco29! I know what the feeling is like unearthing your first. Obviously the start of many :cool:

Thank you all :) 6 more nuggets for today, total weight for 3 days : 3 grams, I'm getting rich :D

Yesterday nothing but I spent most of the time trying some settings on my nuggets to find the best combo, and today I was running the maximum sensitivity, normal, high yield, audio smoothing off, threshold 17 and volume 17, it was very noisy but I picked up a 0.15 nugget with a loud signal and swinging very fast, it was at 1 or 2 inch with a lot of rocks and ironstone on the ground.

But tomorrow I will try these settings with a 0.60 gram I found today, and I will burry it at 4 or 5 inches, to know what is the best combo :cool:

I will post some photos at the end of the week with I hope plenty of them. :D

Mod Edit.
No swearing please

If you're picking up tiny nuggets like these, you are detecting pretty good...
The big one is only around the corner, keep going and good luck!

Hi, thank you :) I found more since my last message, and much smaller, my smaller so far with the Z is a 0.03g :D and the bigger only 1.97, the big one is hiding somewhere waiting for me one day :)
I found nearly 3 onces since my last message, I will post some photos soon :)

gasco29 said:

Awesome, is that 3 oz or should it be 3 gms ?

3 gms is still a good result in a shirt period, especially in areas you're not familiar with, good job.
If actually 3 oz you're a legend,
Cheers T.

love the photos by the way, thanks.

Teemore said:
gasco29 said:

Awesome, is that 3 oz or should it be 3 gms ?

3 gms is still a good result in a shirt period, especially in areas you're not familiar with, good job.
If actually 3 oz you're a legend,
Cheers T.

love the photos by the way, thanks.

Hi, yes 3 oz since my last message, :) I didn't expect to be a legend but thank you lol I think I have gold in my veins actually :D
3g was about the average of what I found every days, my best day 32 nuggets + 1 specie for 10 grams :)

It's so exciting to read posts like this. I can't wait to be able to get out there and do all this myself! Keep it up!
-Joe

Thank you for your comments, I can't wait to go back prospecting in 2 months ( can't go soonner due to my job ? ).
I hope I will beat the 3 oz for my next trip ?

Latest posts