Mudlarking River Thames

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird. The River Thames could offer up quite some finds I'd imagine. I still have the coins that my late father gave me when I was a kid.
He used to work for a company in London that used to dig trenches for piping. He hit a plague pit once with his workmates, a mass grave from the 1600's with bones and coins and all kinds of stuff. I still have a hammer-made penny from 1666, as well as numerous 1700's and 1800's coins from underneath the old Sail and Steam Packet Captains houses along the Thames where they were running gas mains in the 1950's

He used to say that at one time he also owned arrow heads and Roman spearheads that he eventually gave away. I was always fascinated by his stories of finds that he stumbled across without even a metal detector, and when they found the remains of a Viking ship in the mud of a tidal creek on the Island I was born on, I wanted in on the action. My mother tells me that when I was a nipper and people used to say to me "what do you want to be when you grow up?", I used to reply "I want to be a grave digger". She said the room would then usually fall quiet :)

Latest posts