Minelab SDC2300 or GPX4000 / GPX4500 / GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With the SDC you should find gold every outing ,with the 5000 you have a large array of coils bit harder to use than a sdc ,its able to detect deeper and is able to detect small gold . The 5000 will take some time to master, I have never detected around Hill End so I cannot comment on that but others on the forum have regards john :)

Some dealers are including a nugget finder evo in the deal, central west is one I think. If you can get a deal for a 50, and they chuck in a NF evo, I would probably go for it. After a few trips to get the hang of the 5, it will almost keep up with the sdc, and also give you a chance on deeper bigger stuff. I think they also include an 11 mono commander which from what I hear is a good alrounder too.

Mmm still leaning toward the sdc mainly because of simplicity for the Missus to use and the fact it folds up to bugger all and waterproof. I don't like the idea of stuffing around with settings and different coils and also sitting in a van when it starts to drizzle when I could be busy detecting. When I/we find few bits worth enough we will get a 5000 or 7000.

Funny though I had a advertising email today from Miners Den Adelaide for a sdc for $3550 which is 50 dollars cheaper than quoted yesterday and a 4500 for $3500 thats over 600 dollars off. Not sure what to think about their pricing atm.

Why not start with the SDC and when you find enough gold, sell it and buy the 5000 as well so the missus can keep the sdc full time. The SDC is really easy to use and does reduce the risk of using the wrong settings, but it will miss deeper targets with the fixed 8" coil. An SDC and a 5000 are a good combination, and having both covers all gold deep and small.

orgone500 said:
Why not start with the SDC and when you find enough gold, sell it and buy the 5000 as well so the missus can keep the sdc full time. The SDC is really easy to use and does reduce the risk of using the wrong settings, but it will miss deeper targets with the fixed 8" coil. An SDC and a 5000 are a good combination, and having both covers all gold deep and small.

Agree 100% as personally no matter what machine you own or end up with, you will most likely find there is always a place for the SDC in the stable :/
When Minelab had the 4500 / SDC bundle going for under 6K ;) for my money was the best bang for buck you could buy at the time.

The 4500 is a great machine mate, but I went with the 45 after tossing up between the two Sdc/4500 I am happy with my choice but at the same time I still wish I had the compactness/ easy set up and waterproof of the Sdc.
And the fact the guys with Sdc seem to consistently find small gold don't help lol
But I guess that's why I have a gold pan and a high banker ?
The 4500 will also find very small gold and has a good selection of coils available.

There is not to much difference between the 2 detectors the 5000 has a few other modes I find the 4500 run just a bit smoother last week picked up 0.2 gram at 2 inches with a 15 inch coil on a new 45 cannot ask for any better than that, a new 4500 you can pick up for $3700 to $4000 with extra coils if you look around plus full warranty . I have had both 5 s and 45s I think the 45 Is a better detector for the money . :) :)

i was in the same boat so to say, was between the 5000 or the 2300, i compromised with the boss and got the 4500 which came with 3 coils at the time plus a go find 40, the 4500 is a great machine and dont regret it at all but i do like the idea of the sdc for its compact size, wether proof and is killer on the small gold as all the sdc users like to remind us of

will add when i was looking at the 5000 i spoke with a guy that many and myself regard as a great prospector, he said if he knew then what he knows now he wouldnt have worried about 'upgrading' from the 4500 to the 5000, just food for thought mate

As I said with the sdc you should pick up small gold ever outing, I have spoken to people that have found many oz but their would be 200 to 300 pieces to the oz, there might be other coils for the sdc in the future :) :)

old hand said:
As I said with the sdc you should pick up small gold ever outing, I have spoken to people that have found many oz but their would be 200 to 300 pieces to the oz, there might be other coils for the sdc in the future :) :)

It all depends what gold there is around.
I've shown this photo before, but this is all from a weekend on the SDC: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=252710#p252710
That said, I'd love to spend another weekend there with a 4500 or 5000 and a 14- or 15-inch coil.

mfdes said:
old hand said:

It all depends what gold there is around.
I've shown this photo before, but this is all from a weekend on the SDC: https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=252710#p252710
That said, I'd love to spend another weekend there with a 4500 or 5000 and a 14- or 15-inch coil.
That's some nice yellow there. I need to go where you go hahaha

Davejane said:
That's some nice yellow there. I need to go where you go hahaha

Research, research, research...
Oh, and I go where others don't bother to go. The field hadn't been detected before.

Latest posts