GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, my partner and I have been prospecting for a couple of years now, my partner has a nox 800 and me a monster. Have only found a lot of lead shot, nails and the usual rubbish. So now we are looking at upgrading to a GPX 5000 and an SDC 2300. I see a number of 5000s for sale on Facebook marketplace, what should we be looking for in way of condition/common problems these detectors have? Cheers and thanks in advance.

Mod edit: No buying/selling outside of Classifieds allowed. Please read Forum & Classifieds rules.
https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/threads/⚠️-prospecting-australia-forum-rules.5495/

https://www.prospectingaustralia.co...s-and-advice-please-read-before-posting.2261/

Last edited by a moderator:
I see a number of 5000s for sale on Facebook marketplace, what should we be looking for in way of condition/common problems these detectors have?
The main problem those detectors have is that they're for sale on Facebook Marketplace, which was recently identified as Australia's #1 scammer hotspot.

The 5000 and SDC are both well-proven and usually reliable models, but if you're not confident of your ability to assess them yourself, is there an experienced mate who'd have a look at a machine with you? Otherwise, look for dealer trade-ins and second-hand stores that offer a warranty (eg. Cash Converters usually offer 90 days!) and will also protect you from buying stolen property.

The main problem those detectors have is that they're for sale on Facebook Marketplace, which was recently identified as Australia's #1 scammer hotspot.

The 5000 and SDC are both well-proven and usually reliable models, but if you're not confident of your ability to assess them yourself, is there an experienced mate who'd have a look at a machine with you? Otherwise, look for dealer trade-ins and second-hand stores that offer a warranty (eg. Cash Converters usually offer 90 days!) and will also protect you from buying stolen property.
Thanks grubstake, no don't have anyone that experienced to assess with us. Another post gave some very useful info about fake and what to look for. Cheers again.

I'd love to help but second hand machines have been getting snapped up in the last couple weeks so I don't have any SDC or 5000s available. Give any Minelab dealer a call, most will usually have second hand options available, and the units will be checked and have some form of warranty.

I'd love to help but second hand machines have been getting snapped up in the last couple weeks so I don't have any SDC or 5000s available. Give any Minelab dealer a call, most will usually have second hand options available, and the units will be checked and have some form of warranty.
thanks PhaseTech. If you come across any please let me know. cheers

Latest posts