Minelab SDC2300 or GPX4000 / GPX4500 / GPX5000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1461014771_dscn0388.jpg
These new 14x9 evo coils have produced small gold being found on 4500 and 5000 at a greater depth ,with the sdc you are limited to one coil .This was the first of many pieces I have found with the 14x9 evo regards john :)

Hey nicko61, first up i run an sdc only so bear that in mind. The advertising spiel or the sdc only being good for small gold is an advertising stuffup imo. What they should say is that the sdc is a great machine for finding any sized gold at shallow depths. ie down to around 8 inches depending on the size of the gold. So in other words, you're more likely to detect a 2 grammer from the surface down to about say 8 inches or so but something a tenth that size from the surface down to say about 2 inches.
So, bigger gold being heavier sinks to a deeper depth usually, and smaller gold not as deep, and the sdc really only shoots to about about 8 inches with any reliability (i'm comfortable knowing i can work depths of 6 inches and get most bits) from my experience. So if you buy an sdc you NEED to work areas where you know the depth down to the hard ground is only about 6-8 inches or else rely on finding bigger pieces of gold sitting on a rock, tree root or in that shallow ground.
Those shallow areas tend to be where the easy gold was found in the gold rush and the spots that have been hit for decades since, in other words, generally where others have detected with every machine imaginable and got the bigger pieces already.

The 4500 allows you to mix and match coils to suit the depth and areas you want to detect, the sdc really shines on old workings and still shallow surfaced areas.
I think half of the reason why lots are enjoying the 7000 is because it can pick up fly speck gold near the surface and shoot very deep for the bigger pieces which allows detectorists to expand their search areas away from the obvious heavily worked diggings. The 4500 with its various coils also gives this versatility except it doesn't punch as deep as the 7.
I tossed up buying a 4500 for a while to go with my sdc but in truth i'm having so much fun (and its so easy to simply turn on and go) just finding small gold i doubt i really ever would do the 4500 justice and use it enough.
Good luck. By the way, if i was starting out again now and know the areas i do now, and what to look for, i'd probably buy a 4500 and a few coils instead of the sdc. :lol: :lol:

thanks scrounger,i have to get anything over $1500 on finance unless i sell my spare car,so i might even end up with a sd2200 depending on money and what crops up in the next few weeks as i dont realy want to finance a detector but if i do id probably go the 4500 or 5000 but until i started this thread i was only thinking the sdc sounds fantastic but will it go deep,now i know.
cheers Nicko

Hey Nicko,

I have owned both, but sold the sdc and bought a used 4500. They're both great machines, but for me the reason to sell the sdc was because I realised the type of detecting I really wanted to do was chasing the bigger stuff in open ground.

I still ocasionally hit the diggings with the 4500 using a smaller coil. Having that flexibility is something you just don't get with the sdc.

The 4500 takes a bit more learning than the sdc. It has so many more settings but once you start to understand them you'll be right.

There are some great prices going at the moment for the 4500. I'd recommend going for one of the package deals that come with a new nugget finder or coiltek coil, as you'll only want to buy one of those coils later on anyway. If I were in your position I'd definitely finance part of it as opposed to gettind an sd, it will give you a much better chance of getting on to the good stuff.

I think it all comes down to what type of detecting you want to do. Good luck with it

Cheers NN

I think most of it has been said ........................ both are better for different reasons and I don't think either replaces the other and considering an SDC a few months back was $4100 (I know as that's what I paid for an SDC) and you can now buy a package deal and get both for only $1400 more ...................... get both and have the advantages of both worlds ?
Nicko just re read your post regards finance and could only add I know a few long termers 25+ years at the game and they traded their 4500's and purchased SDC's as they found the SDC fulfilled all requirements in their world of detecting. Again comes back to as others have said what environment you wish to use it in
Good luck in your choice and I'm sure you will be happy whichever way you choose to go :)

thanks guys will take it all on board,thanks for your great responces
cheers Nicko

NIcko,
To answer your question, I guess it comes down to how often you get out to chase gold.
If you only get out once a month or so probably the SDC because of its simplicity to learn and use.
If you can go out for longer timeframes the GPX and the vast array of coil options may be better suited to you.
The GPX just takes a little longer for you to understand it's language and what its telling you.
Cheers and all the best in your decision.

Some great advise from some solid performing members ......
My two bob's worth ..... you will find gold quicker and more consistently with the SDC but ...
...... the 4500 (or any GPX) will punch deeper and you "may" find a ripper ever 3rd, 4th or 5th trip (if you're lucky.

If starting out try hiring one (SDC or GPX) for a few outings .... especially if you need to finance the purchase.

Good luck with your decision/prospecting.

Cheers Tom

By the way ...
I run both, have found hundreds of small nuggies with the SDC but they don't make up for the 1 lucky 4800 find of 21.5gms.

thanks everyone, im trying to sell a campervan to get a cheaper minelab so i dont need to borrow,
i really appreciate all your advice , if i had a bit more cash id definatly go the 4500 but alas i think borrowing is a bad move for a hobby im yet to start,lol
p.s. ive been slowly buying everything i need like a sluice,hibanker,picks shovels chisells safety gear, ,,,,gee i better stop adding it up,i could of paid for a 4500 already :eek:

Hi All

About to buy a new detector.

How does a 4500 with a smaller coil compare with a 2300 for fine stuff?

The ground is very mineralised where I go and I want to chase sub grammers and if the 4500 can be set up to do this well it would be a much more versatile machine.

Cheers

Gday, Ive got a 4500, and Im not really very experienced with it, although, Im confident that Im setting up pretty right.
The ground up here is pretty hot.
I know at least 4 2300 owners, who all find gold regularly in the same general area that i work. 2 of them are also pretty inexperienced users.
I got the 4500 keeping in mind I intend to use it in area,s other than the Pine creek Area, QLD , WA and other area,s.
Most of the gold found in the area Ive been working is shallow, and sub gram to 2 gram with the occasional bigger piece.

From what I can see is this, NO other machine comes close to the 2300 for finding small gold in hot ground, the 7000 would be the next closest followed by the 5000.

The 2300 is one of the easiest, if not the easiest machine to set up and get out there finding gold.

I would recommend you get the 2300. Again, I got the 4500 with versatility in mind, but I know that the blokes who use the 2300 rarely if ever do a trip with when it all falls in place, and Im not completely goldless, but those 2300,s are freaks.

If your niche is small gold at depth you can't beat the SDC. Small gold is more abundant than big slugs especially in areas well worked. You may well total more gold with the sdc even with the wide range of coils available for the 4500. If on the other hand you're mainly into gold exploration, searching detected virgin ground where you'll likely be using drag coils, AI coils etc I'd go the 4500. I have the 4500 but probably wouldn't if I was just detecting known goldfields.

I haven't owned/used either, however i can testify to the ability of the 4000. Using an 11" mono i am easily able to detect sub 0.50g bits on the fields that have them. I have found nearly 20 Oz's and the majority are under 10g, and an even higher % under 5g.

Depends on what you call 'small'..but even sub 1 grams are found easy and plentiful. Today was a good example. 3hrs, 6x bits all under a gm and the smallest @ 4-5" was a 0.23g bit. Mind you, that was with an old pre-Advantage 17"x11" and one bit was over 8" deep.

It will come back to you & the ground your walking/researching, regardless of the detector you use imho.

Were it me, i'd go the 4500 and experiment with various new release type coils to the ground your walking as this will give you a versatile detector for a variety of purposes.

Gypsy

HR I have had both only used the 2300 for 3 week just did not suite me .I think a 4500 with a 11 elite or NF 9x14 evo is a fare better choice ,with either coil you are able to pick up very small gold ,but in saying that experience means a lot .For the inexperienced operator the sdc 2300 has less controls just set it work slow on the surface and dig all noises regards john :)

Buy which ever one is on special...If you really get into it you will probably end up owning both anywhay..

Like above comments, if this is your first detector the SDC 2300 is by far the best machine for you. Switch on with sensitivity on 2 as it comes and you will find those little pieces if you swing your coil over it. The 4500 with any coil in the hands of a new prospector will spend loads of time getting used to settings and digging lots of ground noise. The SDC is litterally that easy to use, even in the hottest ground it just purrs along and does it's thing. Even though it looks like a bit of a toy you will still use it later on even if you purchase a 4500 or even a Z.

goldwright said:
Like above comments, if this is your first detector the SDC 2300 is by far the best machine for you. Switch on with sensitivity on 2 as it comes and you will find those little pieces if you swing your coil over it. The 4500 with any coil in the hands of a new prospector will spend loads of time getting used to settings and digging lots of ground noise. The SDC is litterally that easy to use, even in the hottest ground it just purrs along and does it's thing. Even though it looks like a bit of a toy you will still use it later on even if you purchase a 4500 or even a Z.

Agree 100% the SDC is a gem in so many ways. Good example is that it doesn't even matter if it starts pouring rain you can still keep going without any worry of machine being damaged which is an added bonus if you have travelled a long way to detect. AS GW has said wouldn't matter what I owned I would not part with it ........................ there are several second hand units for sale on ebay at the moment for around 2K ................. bargain.

I used to have a 4500 but traded it in and went for a 2300.

As only an occasional prospector I found carting around the 4500 in a big bag a pain. I decided on the 2300 because it folds up to a brief case size and can be stored in the footwell of my car and i can take it with me on my travels without causing space issues.

It is also better on the beach as you can just hose it down.

Rich

Latest posts